Folding for Elena

SpotLight on gsmitheman

gsmitheman started folding on 3/29/05
He has an unknown number of points
19 processors are folding somewhere from his efforts
This crazy talk will be explained below

Lets meet gsmitheman............... Image

Where do you call home these days?

I call home Forest Hill Maryland. I live there with my wife and son, Daisy the dog (who you have all met in my avatar) and Dizzy the cat. I am 62 years old. I started life in Union NJ. and lived there for 21 years. Moved to Maryland in 1965. I have two other children from an earlier marriage (a daughter 38 and a son 40). Boy that makes you feel old saying things like that.

What got you started folding?

A small spot in MaximumPC magazine got me started back in March 05'. GM and thunar really got me going well. I am probably somewhat motivated by my having a form of Leukemia called CML. It and a few other problems had slowed me down enough that I needed a hobby I could do without standing and walking very much.

Where are you employed?

I am retired since Dec 1989 from Lucent Technologies. I was very fortunate to retire at age 46. Actually worked most of my career when they were known as Western Electric (part of the Bell System). From 1965 to retirement all my jobs were computer related. Computer (main frame) operator, coordinator, supervisor, programmer. Worked shift work for many years. Liked the night shifts more than days back then. Do anything you can do for eight hours to get a full schedule done and thousands of people something to work on the next day. I enjoyed my work and they always had you going to training.

What other hobbies or interests do you pursue when not folding.

Film photography was a childhood hobby. Had a darkroom and all that goes along with that. Digital photography was a natural transition and made easier by the earlier knowledge.
Investments interested me very much. Even started a club with some neighbors at one time.
I really got heavily into woodworking after retirement. Built a shop in the basement and kept adding tools. It was much like adding computers, networking, new applications, etc. is today on the computer. When you get a new tool you have to learn to use it. Next you start making projects that make use of it. Wood routers really give you a new dimension to work with. I built quite a few projects over 10 years of woodworking. I decided early on I would take pictures of everything I built so I would have something to look at in the nursing home. Also many of the projects were for relatives and friends and some were going out of state. I may never see them again.

Toyohtadude recently said he was interested in woodworking and that got me to scan in all the pictures and put them online. It's a good thing I did since they were starting to deteriorate. Anyone that's interested in seeing those project pictures here is a link. Link to Project Pictures Click Here

When the woodworking was to much I switched back to computers (Late 2001). The PCs had really gotten more capable and the Internet was in full swing. It was good to be learning something new again. I started buying machines, each more capable.

Then I started building them and that was really fun. It started to get a little boring until I found folding. All the machines had a use and there were new things to learn again.

How did you learn about computers?

I was a late bloomer I didn't get interested in computers until after I retired.
Reading MaximumPC magazine and finding info on the Internet. Didn't have any other friends who even wanted to talk about computers. My first scary contact with PCs was adding 256MB of memory to an IBM P3 800MHZ. That machine is now folding in Al's basement in Cleveland. The first build was done on my dining room table. The first one is the most exciting. Everything is new and scary.

I have built six now and have been very fortunate. All have booted the first time. Only one Abit MB ever had to be RMA back to NewEgg (actually twice - so I gave up and switched to Asus). The hardware gods have watched over me very well. I like to help folks order the parts they need and then I watch them do their first build. I never touch anything during the build - they do everything themselves. I'm just there for moral support and to answer questions.

What hardware are you currently running?

AT my house:

AMD 3800 X2 dual core, 1GB
Dell 9100 PD820 dual core 2.8GHZ, 1 GB
Home build P4 HT 2.8GHZ, 1 GB
Dell 3000 P4 2.8GHZ, 512MB
Dell 4550 2.4GHZ, 512MB
Dell 8200 1.8GHZ, 1 GB
Dell 8200 1.8GHZ, 512MB
Home build AMD XP 3000+, 1 GB
Home build AMD XP 3000+, 512MB
Portable Cel 1.5 GHZ 512MB

Brother in NJ - 4550 2.4 GHZ, 512MB
Brother in Law - Sony PD820 Dual core 1 GB
Nephew - Sony PD820 Dual Core 1 GB
friend - Compaq P3 1.2GHZ 384MB

At this point I want to dispel the rumors that I am too neat to be a geek.

Do you overclock any machines?

I have not overclocked anything yet. Last night I finished building an AMD 3800 X2 and will probably check with Phred and give it a try on that machine.

What are the main things you use your computers for today?

Folding - a hobby that never gets boring.
Maximizing your results, adding hardware, controlling power costs. controlling heat, greeting folks, staying current on the forum, looking for new ideas, seeing what the competition is doing, it never ends (thanks for that - something that doesn't get boring).

Photography - fix pictures for others and shoot all family get togethers. Try to actually take portraits at the get togethers instead of snapshots nobody ever really cares about. Make calendars for family members. Using old family pictures or current photos of children. Pictures I put in albums or even online get looked at once or twice and then just sit there. A calendar gets every collage looked at for a full month. Think about a photo calendar for your Mom or Dad, sisters or brothers. They will enjoy your effort all year.

Buying hardware online. That's a never ending area of interest. Always checking for sales and building the next machine in my head.

What Broadband provider do you use - are you happy with their service?

Comcast - currently at 4.5 MB down not sure what up is anymore but it gets the job done well enough.
They have been very reliable on the node I'm on. But it is an almost totally residential node. I'm told that folks on heavy business routes have far more interruptions ( probably construction and more activity). Expensive at $45/month.
I would give DSL a try but they don't serve my area yet.

What do you like most about Folding and the MaximumPC forum.

The sharing of information and how everyone gets along together trying to reach a common goal. The folks with a keen sense of humor very often make my day. Why don't you tight butts loosen up. You know who you are.

.....................Image

I don't fold under my own username since I made top100. I prefer to fold with different folks from time to time and try to make things happen that will be good for the entire team. I may get back to folding under my username in the future (perhaps when we are in fourth place and have a nice margin from the team in 5th.

I get considerable pleasure out of being a part of creating the SpotLights.

And finally it seems like there is almost always a reason to celebrate (at least there is on our team).

What are your future folding plans?

Keep doing anything I can think of to help our team move up in the rankings thereby delivering the following product to our folding brothers and sisters on teams above us.

Personally trying to produce more points using less electric from BGE.
I follow GM's advice - Upgrade your hardware and give older folders to family and friends to keep power costs under control.

Making next summer a real plus for the MaximumPC folding team. We held our own well last summer when other teams faded. I think with some good ideas from everyone we can do much better in the summer of 2006'. Late winter - early spring that discussion will hopefully start to take place.

I enjoy doing SpotLights on other folders much more than doing my own.
I look forward to the next one. I don't get volunteers for SpotLights very often. So you may find a PM coming your way soon, asking you to be in the SpotLight (check your mail). See you all around the forum.

Last edited by gsmitheman on Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: great story!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:42 am 
Team Member Emeritus
Team Member Emeritus

Always nice to know more about the MPC team, and especially one so active and helpful. Thanks! :D

FoldForCures.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:10 am 
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Location: I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it
wow nice to meet you...

the man behind the dog.. er mask.. er fold... whatever :D

great spotlight!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:18 am 
FoldingMonster
FoldingMonster

You don't look 62 y.o., G.

And I'm not just saying that to eat cheese with you.

GREAT SPOTLIGHT!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:24 am 
Team Member Top 50*
Team Member Top 50*

Location: Folding in Ontario, Canada ------------------------- Team Rank: 44
The director of the spotlights peaks out from behind the curtains!

Awesome woodwork projects!

Looks like somone needs some zipties ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:21 am 
I fear no heat
I fear no heat

i think yours should have been one of the first ones

its great to put a face to someone who is so active in our forums, and a huge asset to our team.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:44 am 
All Your Basestar Are Belong to Us
All Your Basestar Are Belong to Us

gsmitheman,

Thanks so much for taking the time to do your self-portrait Spotlight! When I get the time (and the courage), we'll definitely have to do one for me.

In the meantime, this is the BEST ANIMATED GIF EVAR!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:15 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Nice to meet ya!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:39 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

Ditto on Six's comment about the Gif.

And HOLY CRAPPERS! You made that Gazebo?

Nice Spotlight chief!

One of my favorites so far!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:31 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

Nice to see you G. Good lookin' family. Excellent woodwork, my hats off to you. Thanks for being our Master at Arms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:31 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

I agree that is one of best gifs ever. Great Spotlight "G".
Your woodworking is top notch. You are quite multi-talented. I am glad you took over folding as a hobby also. The effort you put into your hobbies tells a lot about you.

I sure could use one of those cool spice racks, are you taking orders? :)

Thanks for doing a spotlight on yourself, I know that is not your thing but it was very cool to read.

-Thunar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:14 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
best one yet, for to many reasons to list.

i like the blanket chest the best, made me think of pirates.

the gifs were perfect, really show what a person with to much time on their hands, can do. jk, and the talent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:29 pm 
Folding Master (Top-ranked)
Folding Master (Top-ranked)

Great job G. I am still folding away at 2.4 on the x2. I took it up to 2.5 and it ran folding at 1.4 volts but the temp went up to 65 C. It is running at 50 @2.4 and stock hsf. I might spend some money on a new heat sink some time in the future. Maybe the Zalman 9500

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:51 pm 
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Location: I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it
The wife's grandfather (well I claim him as my own too now) has done alot of excellent projects, he has been doing woodworking ever since he was a boy, now in his mid 80's he still goes out and works on building something a few hours each day, takes him a few months but he get them done. Between granny having a stroke paralyzing her right side and him having 2 triple bypasses, he still manages to go down and work in his shop.
Try to keep yourself busy G on and off the computer. We ALL appreciate every bit of help and advice you have. In this informal area called cyberspace, it is good to know someone who has his heart in everything he does on and offline.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:54 pm 
Team Member*
Team Member*

Nice to meet you gsmitheman.
Plus I love that little animated .gif, it's cool.

This is the best spotlight EVAR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:39 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Location: CLEVELAND, I SUPPOSE.... WELL SUPPOSE I AIN'T UP FOR SUPPOSIN ,THEN I GUESS ILL START FIGURIN!
most excellent spotlight"G"
pretty funny
MonsterBuilder wrote:
You don't look 62 y.o., G.

And I'm not just saying that to eat cheese with you.

GREAT SPOTLIGHT!!!

i like cheese

icescream makes me happy

_r2w_ben wrote:
The director of the spotlights peaks out from behind the curtains!

Awesome woodwork projects!

Looks like somone needs some zipties ;)

i was just about to get on him for being to dam neat
then i realized he's real old thay don't move stuff too much :lol:
jk "G" u tha best

on your parts shelf.. those 4 bottels of brown liquid are??????...hmmm
just looked @ your pict's you r pretty good w/ saw
WILL SOMEone please thake his saw before he build;s a puter out of wood

you used to work for santa clause huh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:28 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

Location: Putting it all back together, and enjoying the hell out of it!
Great spotlight G! You are a man of many talents. So, if you are taking orders, I could use a bar like that to display my dolls, uh, action figures (damn, now I'm doing it, too!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:56 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

Nice spotlight G!! nice to meet the man behind the curtains here in the folding Forums!
I especially liked the animated .gif...do you mind if I use it from time to time? I myself have no idea how to do that with pictures....and the woodworking is most excellent!!! My father is a pretty good iron worker of the old arts....the curls and handrailings and archways and lattices etc...etc.....you two would probably get along great lol!!! Anyways, thanks for the peek into your life and the blurb about us monkeys lol....we seem to be getting quite popular in the spotlights lately...Toyohtadude's and now yours....don't know if thats good or bad but oh well...THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:45 pm 
Team Dino
Team Dino

Glad to finally have a face to put to the SN... :D Other than Daisy that is! :lol:

n0b0dykn0ws

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:46 pm 
Team Dino
Team Dino

Oh, and I, for one, think that Blondie needs a spotlight on her. :D

n0b0dykn0ws