Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Anyone here know how to diagnose a BSOD?
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:04 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

My PC has been restarting every few days lately. I am not sure why. I do get a BSOD, but of course those can't just say what the problem is either. I hear you can tell with a "minidump" but I don't know where that is or how to read it, and don't have much time to google it and find out right now.

My PC is OC'd a decent bit, but it had made it a month and a half straight with no BSOD before, now I'm lucky for 2 days. Heat shouldn't be an issue since its never over 55c on the cpu and 67 gpu.

Post subject: Re: Anyone here know how to diagnose a BSOD?
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:09 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Ok... well heat may be worse than thought. HWMonitor shows 10-15c HIGHER than ASSuite, but still, 70c should be safe right? I can cool it more, the fans were down real low for silence, so I'll keep it down below 65 easily, but again, I've seen 75 load on my last few Intel rigs...

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:52 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Set it to not automatically re-boot (if you haven't done so already) and get the STOP code (0x000000...blah, blah, something), also when you come to the desktop and that dialogue box comes up you can right click and copy and paste everything to a .txt file. The STOP code will be in there, it's the first thing. Do a web search for that code and you might get something useful (sometimes not). First step in troubleshooting would be to set everything to normal (back off the OC).

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:42 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: FFFFFA800D5AE028
BCP3: 00000000FF800000
BCP4: 0000000000000124
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

124 seems like it can be many things (OC is on the list, and I can back off some, but it has ran over a month straight folding with no blue screen, so idk)

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:14 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

When does it crash? Randomly? While gaming? While Folding? When did you first start getting BSOD's? If it crashes while Folding, have you lost any WUs (UNSTABLE_MACHINE error)?
That's BCCode: 124 is a pretty generic hardware error. look in Event Viewer and see if it provides a better idea of the source of the error. There are tools for parsing the mini-dump, but I've never used them. The first places I'd look at are the CPU and GPU. If you haven't lost any WUs I'd look at CPU first. Set stock clocks and run it (oh, is you RAM OC'd?). Has anything been updated recently (I know the graphics drivers have, anything else? Windows Updates?)? Some piece of hardware is telling Windows, "I'm broken". It could be the hardware itself, but it's just as likely that software, i.e. drivers, is the root cause. You could run Prime95 for the CPU, memtest86+ for the RAM (a failure is definitely a failure, a pass does not necessarily exonerate the RAM), Furmark or some such for the GPU. Alternatively, you could boot into Safe Mode and see if you can reproduce the problem. It kind of depends on the circumstances surrounding the Blue Screens. This is kind of the "spaghetti against the wall" approach, it's probably what I would do, guided by intuition (and informed by the circumstances). It might be quicker to delve into Blue Screen madness and get a program like Blue Screen View. It will show what drivers were loaded at the time of the crash, some other stuff, might help point you in a direction.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:23 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Yea, AMD drivers are all I got. Like I said, my OC has been good, but just this last week its been BSODing. Ram has been OCd but not even to the rated 1800mhz, I was running 1600 since ive heard that a high cpu OC can not play nice with high ram speeds sometimes on the new i5s.

As of now, I updated the BIOS on my Maximus VI Hero and it set to defaults, I put my cpu OC back on, but I didnt touch ram, seems to be at 1333.

Idk much about ram timings, but higher means slower, but it can allow more clockrate... is that correct? If a ram is rated for 1800 with timings in the 10s and 11s, can the timings be in the 9s at lower speeds?

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:47 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

About the RAM timings my answer would be "maybe". If your mobo's BIOS(UEFI) allows you to change the RAM timings you could try "tightening" them up (lower latency values), then it's up to the RAM if it can handle it. The timing values represent the number of clock cycles the RAM waits to perform various operations. Sometimes, as you said, the values are "loosened" (greater latency values) in order to achieve stability at higher clocks. Ironically, this holds the possibility of getting lower actual throughput.
How did you do your OC? I don't remember what proc you have. Does it have an unlocked multiplier, or did you just increase the bclock? Jacking up the bclock OC's the RAM, too (unless you can adjust it separately, seeing as that's a pretty high-end board I'm guessing you can tweak most of that stuff). Anyways, if the RAM is rated for 1800 it shouldn't be a problem (although I'm not aware of an "i5" problem as you described, so you may be better informed than I am about the particulars). It should be able to be run at the rated speed with the rated timings. That's why they sell RAM with speeds greater than any mobo would actually run it without human intervention, it's designed to be used in an OC'ed system. Frankly, I don't know how much actual benefit one sees in the real world from having super-fast RAM.
Have I answered your question? I ramble. Well, I hope your BSOD's are over.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:54 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

i5 4670k @4.3ghz. 100 blk 43 multiplier 1.265v

I've seen the ram issue brought up trying to run 2400mhz modules at normal speeds and needing to go down. The memory controller isnt on the mobo on the new cpus, but on the chip itself so faster ram makes more heat in the same package.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:42 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Oh yeah, crap I forgot. More and more going under the CPU hood.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:14 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I'd go with the recommended above. Basically, start over, take everything down to stock speeds, run diagnostic and/or testing programs, increase something at a minimal increment and rerun testing suite, rinse and repeat.

There may be easier or better means of diagnosing BSODs, but if you are still getting BSODs after going back to stock clocks, you likely have a hardware issue. If not, at least you have essentially eliminated that possibility.

I'd wager that OCs can kinda 'wear out' over time if some hardware is being pushed to its limits. Heat does, in fact, harm components, so I think that you may have something wearing out prematurely. Redoing your clocks should weed out this type of problem.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:07 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

I would agree that an OC can wear out. My q6600 would do 3.2ghz when I got it, but not even 2.8 6 years later.

I may back it down a bit to avoid the degradation, but the CPU is only 3 months old, so that shouldn't be the issue yet.

I haven't had a BSOD in a couple days, so maybe its better. Only changes I made were upping my fan speeds a little and BIOS update.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:09 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

I know you're over this, but I found an easy guide to the real hard-core BSOD diagnosing:http://mikemstech.blogspot.com/2011/11/windows-crash-dump-analysis.html

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:48 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

yep, no crashes still. dont know where they came from yet, but they are gone.

I did bookmark that page though!

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:24 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

FYI, just saw this article on the MPC website.

I've been having a few BSODs recently but haven't had the time or knowledge to begin to diagnose them. I have turned my CPU and GPU OC down a bit, which has seemed to help. Hopefully in a couple weeks, I'll have more time to delve back into the in's and out's of folding again.