Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Apology to phillyj-and some other stuff.
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:06 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Started a new thread because I started going waaaayyy off topic.
Ok, yep. I misread you. I can see now that the conversation was geared towards the forums more generally and not just the Folding forum. You're right about people coming and posting like once or twice because they have a particular problem and want help with it and then they are gone. Which is fine I guess, if I feel like I can help someone in the Help Desk or wherever I try to help. But, no I don't really expect many of them to start poking around and see what everything is and start Folding. So I guess I owe you an apology. I'm sorry I went off a little bit, there. I thought it was more about people in this Forum and I read "I don't expect them to contribute" in a very harsh way. I guess I should have known better, I've never seen you be anything but friendly and helpful.

Actually, speaking of being friendly, helpful and Folding on Linux, I was wondering if you might be interested in writing a simple guide. I was thinking about trying to spruce this place up a bit. I hope no takes this as disrespectful, but it seems like parts of this place have become a museum. I never knew Gordon, I try to honor his and Rose's memories (I've Folded for Rose before and would gladly do so again), but it seems (to me anyways, I might not have the right depth or perspective) like this place kind of locked up. I think we can honor the past while living in the present. I believe G would have wanted Folding and Team 11108 to carry on strong. There has been a resurgence of activity here and if we want to build on the momentum I think we need some updated info. I've been plotting on adding to the informative stickies. Actually, I think it would be nice to lock some of them and start fresh, maybe sticky a couple of running threads, but none of that is wholly necessary. Anyways, since I don't have Linux Folding experience (or much Linux experience), I thought that you might be able to write a Linux guide for the "New to Folding..." sticky. I'll do a Windows one (plum job).

I'd really like to see a mod blow some of the dust off and rearrange some furniture. I don't think we really have one. I guess SpiderMonkey; he doesn't seem to have much time. I'd do it if that's something people felt comfortable with (not campaigning, I just have a lot of free time, I'd happily support anybody else that wanted to do it, also). I don't even know how we'd go about getting somebody to be a mod. Well, I think I've gone far enough off the rails for now, probably just my morning Colombian talking (coffee people, not cocaine, yeesh).

*edited for visual clarity as per Gero1369*

Last edited by crwlngkngsnk on Thu May 08, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Apology to phillyj-and some other stuff.
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:53 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

two things. ^ split that up visually a bit more ^

Second, I agree with your point at sprucing things up a bit and getting some updated content for the stickies and maybe some new ones.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:48 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

I have to agree with crwlngkngsnk, this place does feel like a museum. I knew Gordon and have lots of respect for him, but I dont think that he would like the way the forum is now. He tried to inject life into this place. Even when he could no longer fold, he kept us going. I think we need to follow his example and get this place going again. Even you can fold right now, stop in and encourage those that are.

More how too's are always welcome. I have run Linux, but never folded with it, some tutorials on folding with Linux would be a good thing.

Lets use this post to brainstorm for ideas on bringing some life back to this place.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:03 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

I'm not that good with coming up with ideas but, I'll try to do what I can. I remember Gordon. Always full of life and energy. His posts were always good (and mainly long :)). Whatever you or we (MaxPC) come up with, i'll do what I can.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:19 am 
Team Member
Team Member

crwlngkngsnk wrote:

Actually, speaking of being friendly, helpful and Folding on Linux, I was wondering if you might be interested in writing a simple guide. I was thinking about trying to spruce this place up a bit. I hope no takes this as disrespectful, but it seems like parts of this place have become a museum. I never knew Gordon, I try to honor his and Rose's memories (I've Folded for Rose before and would gladly do so again), but it seems (to me anyways, I might not have the right depth or perspective) like this place kind of locked up. I think we can honor the past while living in the present. I believe G would have wanted Folding and Team 11108 to carry on strong. There has been a resurgence of activity here and if we want to build on the momentum I think we need some updated info. I've been plotting on adding to the informative stickies. Actually, I think it would be nice to lock some of them and start fresh, maybe sticky a couple of running threads, but none of that is wholly necessary. Anyways, since I don't have Linux Folding experience (or much Linux experience), I thought that you might be able to write a Linux guide for the "New to Folding..." sticky. I'll do a Windows one (plum job).

*edited for visual clarity as per Gero1369*

No offense taken, crwlngkngsnk. It's way too easy to misunderstand people online.

And, a Linux How-to? Hmm, my one problem with doing anything is not knowing how to start and how to end it so I have many unfinished projects lying around. I will try to put together a rough draft over the weekend, if I get time. Then let the community comment on it. I'm thinking a simple how-to on "getting up and running for a linux noob" would be good. There are some things with running on linux that are not intuitive like on Windows.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:31 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

I didn't mean to put you on the spot, no pressure. If you're too busy, that's cool. It wouldn't have to be anything too involved. I don't know what distro(s) you run. Under Ubuntu or Mint would be good if you you're familiar. TobyKY76 uses Linux, too (OpenSUSE and now Mint). Whatever, just something to help somebody get on their feet like you said.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:44 am 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

I am in no way a linux know-it-all but, that being said, I could probably find time to help somebody with a linux how-to. I've been trying to teach myself shell scripting and writing programs at night. Slow process for sure, but I could probably add some insights to the how-to.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:23 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

A Linux guide for noobs would be great! I've been interested in trying it out, but have been pretty intimidated by the whole venture, and worried about the learning curve to get something that is usable. I would really appreciate a guide that could get me into a position where I could begin to learn to do stuff in a linux environment and learn to tweak some of the folding parameters at the same time.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:10 am 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

phillyj wrote:

And, a Linux How-to? Hmm, my one problem with doing anything is not knowing how to start and how to end it so I have many unfinished projects lying around. I will try to put together a rough draft over the weekend, if I get time. Then let the community comment on it. I'm thinking a simple how-to on "getting up and running for a linux noob" would be good. There are some things with running on linux that are not intuitive like on Windows.

I could help with this, once you are done I can run through it on one of my computers and check the flow. If we need to add or remove a step I can let you know.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:49 am 
Team Member
Team Member

ok, i'll try to put a draft up soon. Kinda busy this weekend but I'll try. It's going to be debian focused (eg Ubuntu and gang) since it seems to be a more supported linux version and seems to be the one noobs will test out first. Plus, I'm not familiar with the other ones.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:54 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I'd be in favor or getting my hands on a Linux guide. Its always been something that I've wanted to do, but not gotten the chance. If you guys could get something out there specifically for folding, I'd be extremely more likely to get Linux loaded up on my machine, start folding, then move on to other Linux things.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:06 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus*
Million Club - 5 Plus*

In the mean time, the Stanford install guide is pretty good: https://folding.stanford.edu/home/guide ... all-guide/

It looks like you can start with a standard 64-bit ubuntu desktop install (I haven't used/tried the directions since I run Arch). The v7 client made linux folding a lot easier, especially since the client can be remotely configured and managed without having to setup external tracking programs.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:32 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

smartcat99s wrote:
In the mean time, the Stanford install guide is pretty good: https://folding.stanford.edu/home/guide ... all-guide/

It looks like you can start with a standard 64-bit ubuntu desktop install (I haven't used/tried the directions since I run Arch). The v7 client made linux folding a lot easier, especially since the client can be remotely configured and managed without having to setup external tracking programs.

Yeah what he said.....he isn't smartcat for no reason you know. Back in the day, smartcat and Lodis were to go to guys for Linux folding issues. I've learned a lot from them but, i've slep since then and now I have to remember it all again

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:35 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

If I get a new GPU like I'm wanting I think I'm gonna experiment with this eight-core dinosaur I've got and see if the Linux SMP bump can trump my OC in Windows.