Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: TSC!Russia is bugging me!
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:03 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

I've been watching TSC!Russia and they are plus or minus 50k ppd with us almost the whole time. We just need one more mid-range GPU guys. Anyone? Anyone?

I really should stop folding to save the power now that the heat is off and A/C will need to fire up, but we are soooo close to outproducing them and finally getting a conquest again, I can't bring myself to do it. Heck, I've been looking at new GPUs to jump 70-90k ppd and catch up to them, but I know I can't afford that for another 6 months or so. :(

Post subject: Re: TSC!Russia is bugging me!
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:21 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

R3D, nice job on getting back to the Top 20 producers again! You've been cranking out some WU this past week. I hear you on TSC! Russia :evil: Believe me, I am itching to buy and assemble my new rig, but in the mean time, TSC! Russia is like that little gnat that keeps circling but just stays far enough away...

This past month seems to have shown an increase in the folks coming around the forums. Hopefully we can convince a few to donate their spare cycles for the cause!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:32 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

I'm all in right now...4k+ ppd. If i can get this other laptop up and running i'll have another linux box folding. Plus, I've got a desktop here that belongs to the boss, I just need to grab the data from the HDD and get it going to. Not sure how the wife feels about all of this yet but, she knows that when I get a passion for something I usually try to go all in. That's the pisces coming out in me.

Right now I have the following folding:
1 desktop - home - running 2 cpu slots
2 laptops - home - 1 running 2 cpu slots, 1 linux bos with single slot
1 desktop - work - running single cpu slot

There is also another 5 computers at the office not folding. Been talking to the boss about getting those folding too. Since I am the 'IT' man in the office I think I can convience him to let do it, just takes a little bit.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:49 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
if he says yes, don't forget to get it in writing.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:11 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

g.m.waters (red ranger3) wrote:
if he says yes, don't forget to get it in writing.

not worried about that as he is my brother-in-law. if he says no, i send my wife after him lol

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:28 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
we should also be worried that cure4cambria shut down a few days ago, and they were producing three times that 50k.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:34 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

We are currently gaining on them by 153k! It would take 19 years to catch them at that rate, but its better than them getting further away!

LemurWrangler wrote:
R3D, nice job on getting back to the Top 20 producers again! You've been cranking out some WU this past week.

Thank you! I didn't even notice it since last time I looked at the top 20, they were all over 80k! Yea, i think my GPU benefited from Catalyst 14.4, because that is the only thing that changed. Heck, I think I've even been gaming on it more, although I do try and stay off for some PPD.

LemurWrangler wrote:
This past month seems to have shown an increase in the folks coming around the forums. Hopefully we can convince a few to donate their spare cycles for the cause!

I'm hoping too, we don't need much, just a few more, especially if they are gamers with decent GPUs.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:07 am 
Team Member
Team Member

The new folks around here seem like the "once every 5 years PC builder" type. I don't expect them to contribute. I can't really fold cause $$ :(

I have been at the [H]ardOCP distributed computing forum and it looks like many are leaving F@H and going to BOINC or others. Also, I have heard that a new core called 0core. You fold as long as you can, and when you stop it gets passed to another person?

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1816150

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:32 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
phillyj wrote:
The new folks around here seem like the "once every 5 years PC builder" type. I don't expect them to contribute. I can't really fold cause $$ :(
How are you gonna knock people and then in the same breath give the same reason for not Folding as most of the same people you just knocked have for not running the latest greatest hardware. I'm poor as shit, that's the truth. You think I don't want bad-ass computers? Our philosophy has always been do what you can, when you can, if you can, with no judgement or criticism. I sure felt like that was pretty critical, both to me and some of the other new (or new again) people here. Now, if I took it the wrong way I apologize, but it sure seemed like you were throwing stones from a glass house.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:09 am 
Team Member
Team Member

crwlngkngsnk wrote:
phillyj wrote:
How are you gonna knock people and then in the same breath give the same reason for not Folding as most of the same people you just knocked have for not running the latest greatest hardware. I'm poor as shit, that's the truth. You think I don't want bad-ass computers? Our philosophy has always been do what you can, when you can, if you can, with no judgement or criticism. I sure felt like that was pretty critical, both to me and some of the other new (or new again) people here. Now, if I took it the wrong way I apologize, but it sure seemed like you were throwing stones from a glass house.

Wow, man. You really misread me. I'm not sure if you noticed but generally on forums, there are a few different types of posters. One type is the "I got a problem and I need help". They usually don't stick around after their problem is solved. Now, some may stay around, comment, and even help others out, but most don't. So that is an observation that I saw recently here; new guys who need build help, etc. If they stay and check out the basement (us in the folding sub-forum), well, that's cool.

Now, as to throwing stones and such, while I can't really fold other than an occasional WU every few months, I do try to help people out with their issues. Having figured out issues in linux folding, I'm happy to help those who go that route.