Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Will You Be Passing On The Left, OR...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:12 pm 
FoldingMonster
FoldingMonster

will you be passing on the right?

I see you in my six, LemurWrangler............

Sorry I can't keep up! :evil:

Post subject: Re: Will You Be Passing On The Left, OR...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:52 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

On the left. I'm sensitive to lane discipline, and don't want to disrupt the great work that you continue to do for team 11108 :wink: After all, we are a team working towards the same end goal :D

BTW, thinking on that team front... I was browsing the magazine racks at Barnes and Noble and found myself looking at the UK Custom PC and bit tech magazine. At the back of their issue was a 2 page spread focused on their team folding effort. There was an interview/Q&A section with one of the team members, and on the following page were stats of top folders on their team that month, and those who made major milestones with points. I wonder if MPC gave space in their monthly magazine if we wouldn't see a bump in participation from readers when it was brought to their attention that team 11108 is still actively folding. I will post in the forum under the appropriate thread. I think there was one already started in early April, that I will add to.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:02 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

Sweet.... Hope MaximumPC will do the same.

I'm right behind you. :-)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:07 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

They have run things before, but very rarely and usually small. I think we should snoop around the regular forums and try to drop folding info here and there.

Not pushing it in everyone's face, but something like "I'm overclocked to X.Xghz and it really helps my folding" or "this cooler keeps my CPU at XX degrees C even when folding at 100%" Put it out there, and hope someone asks about it, then elaborate and point them here.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:24 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
we have never been able to get more than a tidbit once in a great while. I think that it is future more than the magazine. it would serve no purpose for them they are just a holding company with a stable of magazines.

I see they quit folding early this month too, probably future was whining about the electric bill.

how often does one see a maxpc staff member on any of the forums?

sorry if I seem disappointed with MPC, I am. since Will Smith left as editor, it has been a downhill trip ever since.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:42 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

When I started folding with MPC, we were in 4th place. Now we are in 6th with 2 teams passing us in the next 6-7 months. I really wish MPC would put an article in the magazine about folding and joining team 11108. We would get a folding boost over night. That would be a win-win, the team would maybe move back into the top 5 and Stanford would have more data being crunched.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:13 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

g.m.waters (red ranger3) wrote:
we have never been able to get more than a tidbit once in a great while. I think that it is future more than the magazine. it would serve no purpose for them they are just a holding company with a stable of magazines.

I see they quit folding early this month too, probably future was whining about the electric bill.

how often does one see a maxpc staff member on any of the forums?

sorry if I seem disappointed with MPC, I am. since Will Smith left as editor, it has been a downhill trip ever since.

I am going to have to agree with GM here. Since the departure of Will, everything has gone down. I can't even tell you the last time I read a MaxPC issue. I will still continue to fold, for which team is a different question...MaxPC folding team is my home

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:30 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Yeah, I first learned about Folding in the magazine (it was a little blurb in a colored box). I haven't been frequenting the Forums long enough to know what it used to be like, but I can tell from old posts that there used to be more staff involvement. I doubt any of the editors/writers even pop in over here very often. Some of them will respond to comments on the main site about an article they wrote. Kinda bums me out, I really like the magazine, I still have a paid paper subscription.
I made a few abortive attempts to mention Folding, like on an article about GPUs, that sort of thing. Like R3D said, anywhere it was germane to the topic at hand.
Glad I'm not the only one who has been watching us lose our mojo and despaired. I sometimes feel like I've backed a losing horse. Not that I'm gonna jump ship anytime soon, but I don't swing the same stick as most of you fellers.
A big write-up in the magazine would be great. It could really give some new life to 11108. There have to be readers who don't frequent the forums. New blood is the key. I understand people moving on when life happens. It's all right there in the Declaration. But dammit, this is MAXIMUM PC. All about the power, more cowbell, Dream Machines, Kick-Ass. Instead, we'd be sucking hind-tit if it weren't for a handful of heavy-hitters (and willis, a humble man who could be a one-man-gang if he chose--Team Willis, he'd probably pass us inside of two years). I've been noticing our number of active Folders decline.
Sorry, I fear I begin to ramble. Hear us Maximum PC, hear us Jimmy, hear us Gordon, hear us Josh, hear us Tom. We beseech thee. Giveth thine interns labor to benefit their minds, their bodies, their very souls. They will bring Red Bull when they have laid down their burdens, and we will rejoice.
We Folders of Team 11108, we have hitched our stars to your wagon Maximum PC, but you lead us not in to the Garden of Delights, but the pit, yea, the very pit where doth swing the pendulum. Verily, with each passing hour the pendulum cometh closer, threatening to unman us all (even the women).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:25 pm 
FoldingMonster
FoldingMonster

I actually came to Folding via a blurb in the magazine........

I think it was a while before I found the Forums.

I'd like to see it covered again, but alas...

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:11 pm 
FoldingMonster
FoldingMonster

Well - the day has arrived - I'm about to be LemurWrangled.......

STINK :evil:

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:15 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

If you can jump across a couple of branches and run around a trunk I think you can get away. He's a big guy and he gets winded. If not, you're hosed err, Wrangled. Next thing he'll be making notes about your diet (and you don't want to know how he figures out what you've been eating).

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:43 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

It has been an honor and a pleasure, MonsterBuilder. 8)

Not out of the woods yet though. I see WMIF and R3D on my threatlist. It's only a matter of time...

Looks like we've got a new folder on the team who has been pulling some solid numbers the last week!. I wonder if gurgru is folding with a passkey? By the looks of it, they might be earning the base credit for some core17 WU's. Wonder what they're running?

BTW, collecting feces from the critters was always a treat... The animals would be 20+ feet off the ground, release a shower of fecal pellets and then take off, bounding through the forest. So, we had to gather the pellets into baggies, store them in alcohol, squish the sample alcohol mixture repeatedly to mix it with the preservative and then tuck the little pouch away in our pack as we were wildly trying to get a bearing on which direction the animals were heading. Good thing we had amazing local guides who could keep up with the animals for the most part (yes, more often than not panting. perspiring (and wheezing at times...)).

For the record MonsterBuilder, despite what snk implies, I have no intention of continuing this collection protocol.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:46 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

LemurWrangler wrote:
Not out of the woods yet though. I see WMIF and R3D on my threatlist. It's only a matter of time...

3.9 years is a LONG time...plus, I'm gonna have to cut back soon :(

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:43 am 
FoldingMonster
FoldingMonster

crwlngkngsnk wrote:
If you can jump across a couple of branches and run around a trunk I think you can get away. He's a big guy and he gets winded. If not, you're hosed err, Wrangled. Next thing he'll be making notes about your diet (and you don't want to know how he figures out what you've been eating).

OH. MY. :shock: He doesn't want to be checking out my diet......

Been eating Atkins pretty much since June 2013 - sticking to 20 grams of carbs a day or less - NO sugar unless it sneaks by - lost 40+ pounds - had blood work done to see if the naysayers were right (yer cholesterol is gonna spike!, etc...) - AH, NOPE - it's the first time I've seen it under 200 for 20+ years. In fact, it was a rather extensive blood profile, and every last thing was NORMAL.

EVERY. LAST. THING. :mrgreen:

And that's with me eating probably 20 fried eggs a week (organic - we have 5 backyard chickens), at least as many strips of fried bacon, any cheese I can get my hands on, steamed veggies (like broccoli), roasted veggies (like an entire head of cauliflower), all drizzled with real butter... I hit Whole Foods' monsterously over-priced salad bar once a week... home-made burgers on the grill... jalapeno hot dogs (Oscar Meyer, I think)...

Snacks? Oh boy - how about a half stick of Land-O-Lakes butter w/olive oil.... usually twice a day... I keep a package of Kroger sandwich sliced pepperoni nearby... green olives, stuffed with various peppers, garlic, blue cheese, etc

I quite literally feel better than I have felt since I was in my mid 20s.

I do walk - have been since a pair of surgeries in 2007 got my breathing sorted out - but even at 5 miles a night at a decent pace (sub 15 min/mile, which is 4 mph, which is almost jogging), I didn't lose a pound - switched to Atkins, and had a nice, gentle weight loss that's now north of 40 pounds.

My 14 y.o. daughter says I look like I'm in my late 20s... (I think she's a tad biased, there).

I don't know about looking like, but I do feel like it. I have energy out the wazoo!

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:52 am 
FoldingMonster
FoldingMonster

LemurWrangler wrote:
It has been an honor and a pleasure, MonsterBuilder. 8)

Well, at least I didn't wind up wearing dress like the last time I got lapped (Mighty Marathon).

I saw WMIF too - he looks like he could be a 1.5 million point/week guy. I don't know when he started folding, but that's a NICE bump for the team, for sure.

I've ramped it up to what I think will be an average of 250K per week. I'm thinking about how I might get that jacked up higher, but the start-up costs plus the electricity costs make it a hard sell to MonsterBuilder's budget with kids to feed, tuition to pay, etc.

LemurWrangler wrote:
For the record MonsterBuilder, despite what snk implies, I have no intention of continuing this collection protocol.

No worries - he's a snake, after all - sneaky, slithery, got us all booted outta the Garden, etc.... I keep an eye on him... :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:06 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Little Red Riding Hood was walking through the woods. She was lost and started crying. A snake slithered by and said, "What's wrong little girl?". She explained that she was lost. The snake replied, "If you pick me up I can guide you to your grandmother's house."
"Oh no," said Red, "If I pick you up you'll bite me".
"I won't bite you little girl," said the snake.
This back and forth continued until Red relented and agreed to carry and be guided by the snake.
She picked him up; he bit her.
"But Mr. Snake, you said if I picked you up you wouldn't bite me."
The snake replied, "Little girl, you knew I was a snake when you picked me up."