Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Older laptop questions
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:48 am 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

I've got like 3 laptops that I have sitting here that some clients left me for parts and what not.

Is there a preferred Linux distro out there that is good for folding? Or just about any distro works.

Post subject: Re: Older laptop questions
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:54 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

I would go with Ubuntu. If you are new to Linux do the express install. If you want to challenge yourself at the command line, go with the manual install.

Linux Install Guide

https://folding.stanford.edu/home/guide ... all-guide/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:06 am 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

devastator_2000 wrote:
I would go with Ubuntu. If you are new to Linux do the express install. If you want to challenge yourself at the command line, go with the manual install.

Linux Install Guide

https://folding.stanford.edu/home/guide ... all-guide/

Guess I should have clarified a little bit. I'm not exactly a Linux newbie but, I haven't played with it for several years now.

When I was playing around with Linux, Ubuntu is very newbie friendly but, I don't like it.

I downloaded openSUSE 13.1 and am burning the boot DVD now. I'll play with it first, if I don't like it, download a different distro and try that one. I probably won't start folding with it till I find a distro that works best for me. Just wanted to hear some opinions from fellow folders.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:27 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
There's supposed to be a slight performance bump (at least on SMP) from using Linux. I was thinking about putting Ubuntu on my dual-proc server, but then I wouldn't be able to OC. Do you know of any Linux proggies (or commands, I guess) that let you adjust FSB? It's an LGA775 dual Xeon board. 333Mhz OC'd to 400. With a max multiplier of 7 I took the 5410's from 2.33 to 2.8, any more and it's unstable. I'm a little worried about the RAM, anyways. I could drop the multiplier if I needed to. So, um, yeah I guess "Any way to change FSB in Linux?" Looking at you here Toby since you seem to be comfortable there.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:33 am 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

crwlngkngsnk wrote:
There's supposed to be a slight performance bump (at least on SMP) from using Linux. I was thinking about putting Ubuntu on my dual-proc server, but then I wouldn't be able to OC. Do you know of any Linux proggies (or commands, I guess) that let you adjust FSB? It's an LGA775 dual Xeon board. 333Mhz OC'd to 400. With a max multiplier of 7 I took the 5410's from 2.33 to 2.8, any more and it's unstable. I'm a little worried about the RAM, anyways. I could drop the multiplier if I needed to. So, um, yeah I guess "Any way to change FSB in Linux?" Looking at you here Toby since you seem to be comfortable there.

I don't know of any way off the top of my head. Like I said earlier, it's been years since i've messed with Linux.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:53 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Yeah, I figured maybe since it was old hardware you might know something. I've already looked on the web (wouldn't post if I hadn't), but didn't really turn anything up.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:49 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

TobyKY76 wrote:

Guess I should have clarified a little bit. I'm not exactly a Linux newbie but, I haven't played with it for several years now.

When I was playing around with Linux, Ubuntu is very newbie friendly but, I don't like it.

I downloaded openSUSE 13.1 and am burning the boot DVD now. I'll play with it first, if I don't like it, download a different distro and try that one. I probably won't start folding with it till I find a distro that works best for me. Just wanted to hear some opinions from fellow folders.

If you are looking for a stable and powerful distro, then you might consider CentOS Linux. I cant speak for version 7 as it just came out, But 6.5 is the exact source code as Red Hat Enterprise. Personally I like Fedora.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:16 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

I'm actually typing this reply from the openSUSE laptop. Everything set up pretty easily. The only thing I can't get to work is the FAHControl. I have to change my settings using the Web control and that doesn't give me very many options.