Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The three amigos!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:33 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Congrats to Gero1369, LemurWrangler, and myself :wink:

Today I looked at the team page and the Top20 was rounded off with Gero at 77k, Me at 76k, and LemurWrangler at 75k!

I know they have been very active on the forums lately, and LemurWrangler has sent his PPD skyrocketing in the last couple weeks, and I have had a hard time holding onto that top 20 spot, so it was very nice to see us hangin out together :D

I got a screenshot of it, but the "upload attachment" section doesn't seem to want to work for me and it seems all the free image hosting places I used to use now require subscriptions and even money :(

Post subject: Re: The three amigos!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:35 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Who is Steve Martin?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:12 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Gotta get my average to where it should be, but I don't mind being one of the "three amigos" for now ("should be" around 120k PPD). Gotta figure out what's going on.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:14 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Saw the Top 20 yesterday before I left for work, and it carried me through the day :D

But, the three have become two amigos all too quickly ...will see if I can push my overclock just a bit more to get back on the top 20 board!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:34 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

LemurWrangler wrote:
Saw the Top 20 yesterday before I left for work, and it carried me through the day :D

But, the three have become two amigos all too quickly ...will see if I can push my overclock just a bit more to get back on the top 20 board!

Overclocking, when done right, will take time and thats time you cant fold, but usually it will be made up for over the next couple weeks of folding.

I just pushed mine harder when I have been out of work, went from 1110 to 1170 on my GPU core, and it is def making a difference!

I may push my CPU harder one day, but as of now, my 3.4 ghz i5 is doing just fine at 4.3...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:45 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Yeah, that's a nice OC, I don't know how much more I'd push it. What are you using for cooling? (Sorry if that's in the hardware thread, what am I gonna do? Go read it?)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:33 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

crwlngkngsnk wrote:
Yeah, that's a nice OC, I don't know how much more I'd push it. What are you using for cooling? (Sorry if that's in the hardware thread, what am I gonna do? Go read it?)

I think our folding threads are more anything goes than the standard structured areas of the forums, we are a community.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835181060

That's on my CPU. Folding full load it is sitting at approx. 50c with the fans at 40%. It can be much cooler at 4.2, but I didn't get a very good chip as far as the OC lotto goes, so I need a bit extra voltage for that 4.3. I could probably hit 4.4 or more, but I'm not comfortable with 1.3v and up on a daily basis.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:07 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I have a i7 930 OC'd to 3.6 or 3.8 GHz (2.8 GHz stock). Runs around 65 C, iirc. Air cooled on a 212+.
My GPU is pegged at 1126-1130 MHz (950 MHz stock).

OCing is fun!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:40 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

I almost got the 212, seems to be the best air cooler out there.

Thats a very nice gpu oc. Do you have a little extra voltage to pull that off? My card doesn't allow it and I don't feel like flashing the bios.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:30 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I don't mess with voltages. My stuff remains pretty cool as well. My GPU hangs around 50-60 C or so, but I could be a bit off on that too. The fan's pretty high, maybe 65% or more. I run the Sapphire OC program on it. I don't have it in an inhabited area of the house; it's in the basement. I have two or three 12 cm fans running full tilt in the case besides whats on the 212 (single fan).

PS - Looks like my rig is finally returning stuff on a somewhat consistent basis for the past day or two now. Hopefully it keeps that way! If all holds steady, I should return a 65-70k WU every 13 or 14 hours. Currently at 95k PPD avg :twisted: Maybe I'll get another by the end of the day!! That'd be great!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:44 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

I've heard the older i5s and i7s OCd better, but 800mhz or more off stock voltages... wow.

I got 900, but I needed a good boost in voltage, and 900mhz off of 3.4ghz is a lot smaller % than 800mhz off of 2.8.

My GPU runs hotter than yours, solid 65c folding, but the fans are only at 43%, I have not messed with fan settings for it, I would like to keep it 60ish at load, but it seems i can't really adjust curves, its just auto or manual, and I don't want my fans stuck at one solid RPM...

My cpu fans are actually at 30%, my 120mm exhaust is at 40% and my 200mm intake is at 65%. All very very quiet, barely audible from my desk even at full fold.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:06 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

What are you using on your GPU R3D? Afterburner, or...?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:20 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Just CCC. I got afterburner, but the voltage is locked for my card, so it really has no benefits to me.

Gero, nice job on that PPD boost this week! Looking at your numbers, they go way up in January. Did you get some goodies for Christmas?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:42 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Hi folks, I'm looking for some feedback...

So, right now I'm inching towards greater overclock speeds, and just want to make sure I'm on the right path. I'm new to the extent of the in's and out's of this process, but I'm pretty curious so I've read a bit in other forums and threads. So far, I've only used the AI Suite 2.0 software that came with my MB (ASUS P8Z77-V LE) fitted to my i5-3570K and the HIS iTurbo software that came with my video card (HIS 7870 IceQ GHz Edition).

My CPU is currently OC'd at 4.3 GHz. I've only changed the BCLK frequency to 103.0 and the CPU Ratio to 42.0. The CPU voltage is 1.130.

I'm using a Corsair H80i to cool the CPU and my temps are between 54C and 67C, based on Real Temp values.

I have my 7870 running at 1136 MHz and am showing temps of 44C. The HIS software allows me to change the Memory Clock (currently at 4800 MHz), Board Power Limit (currently at 0%) and VDDC (currently at 1218 MHz). I'm a bit confused though because GPU-Z has similar figures, but it is saying that my memory is at 1200 MHz. While I see a convenient factor of x4 between the value from the HIS software and the GPU-Z software, I do not know where this would come from?

According to SpeedFan, all of my other temps seem to be in the normal or cool range (SSD and HDDs 24C-30C; System 26C; nothing above 44C).

Currently running Catalyst 14.1 drivers on a Win7 64 bit OS.

I'm getting some video card driver instability, which seems to be correlated to artifacts appearing on my screens (running 2x ASUS VE248 in extended desktop mode, each at 1920x1080). Because of my lack of knowledge and experience, I'm cautious to do much more because I don't want to fry any components, but I'm curious to know the extent to which I can further nudge my hardware into the OC world without taking on too much risk of catastrophic failure or compromise the quality of the WU that I generate. I haven't had a WU rejected yet, and don't want to start:)

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:28 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

LemurWrangler wrote:
So far, I've only used the AI Suite 2.0 software that came with my MB (ASUS P8Z77-V LE) fitted to my i5-3570K and the HIS iTurbo software that came with my video card (HIS 7870 IceQ GHz Edition).

My CPU is currently OC'd at 4.3 GHz. I've only changed the BCLK frequency to 103.0 and the CPU Ratio to 42.0. The CPU voltage is 1.130.

I also use AI Suite on my ASUS Maximus Hero. You shouldn't have to mess with the BCLK, but if your REALLY must push for a few extra mhz, it can help. I would look into it further, because all my knowledge is on the 4670k, but I think you can also safely run 1.2v on your CPU. Again, look online yourself, but that is a good starting point on the 4th gen iSeries, and I think the 3rd is similar. If 4.3 is stable on 1.130, you should get 4.4 or 4.5 on 1.2v.

LemurWrangler wrote:
I have my 7870 running at 1136 MHz and am showing temps of 44C. The HIS software allows me to change the Memory Clock (currently at 4800 MHz), Board Power Limit (currently at 0%) and VDDC (currently at 1218 MHz).

VDDC is usually a voltage, not a speed. As for the power limit, watch your clocks with GPU-z. If your clocks are bouncing around and not holding the full OC clocks when under a solid load such as folding or furmark, slide that limit to +10 or +20%. It isn't a voltage adjustment, but instead its a maximum current adjustment, the card will begin to throttle to save power if it is too low. That card is stock around 950mhz core if I recall, so the OC sounds respectable, but...

LemurWrangler wrote:
I'm getting some video card driver instability, which seems to be correlated to artifacts appearing on my screens (running 2x ASUS VE248 in extended desktop mode, each at 1920x1080). Because of my lack of knowledge and experience, I'm cautious to do much more because I don't want to fry any components, but I'm curious to know the extent to which I can further nudge my hardware into the OC world without taking on too much risk of catastrophic failure or compromise the quality of the WU that I generate. I haven't had a WU rejected yet, and don't want to start:)

Thanks!

...if you are getting artifacts, it is usually time to turn it down a little. Just a couple mhz should do since you aren't crashing, that should help you stabilize a bit more. Also, run a few benchmark programs each time you move up in speed. Sometimes you will actually drop in performance even though there is no crash, the hardware starts to make some mistakes and your scores can drop. If this is happening, I'm sure it can slow down the folding as well. My friend was not happy with his PC in games, he had to drop his gpu ram OC 10mhz and the thing actually sped up. Big numbers are cool for bragging, but we really want more performance.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:45 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Thanks for the info! Good stuff to know. I'll look more into the voltage that I can run with my cpu, and try to eek out a few more cycles.

LemurWrangler wrote:
I have my 7870 running at 1136 MHz and am showing temps of 44C. The HIS software allows me to change the Memory Clock (currently at 4800 MHz), Board Power Limit (currently at 0%) and VDDC (currently at 1218 MHz).

R3D88 wrote:
VDDC is usually a voltage, not a speed. .

Doh! MV not MHz... should have known better, thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:19 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Yea, my 4670k is at 1.268v. If you can go higher, watch your temps as you do. Voltage makes parts hot fast.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:00 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

R3D88 wrote:
I've heard the older i5s and i7s OCd better, but 800mhz or more off stock voltages... wow.

I got 900, but I needed a good boost in voltage, and 900mhz off of 3.4ghz is a lot smaller % than 800mhz off of 2.8...

I went through the entire tutorial for OCing my CPU, so the voltages are are likely raised a bit, but it isn't in a 'danger zone'. I've read lots of people hitting 4.2 GHz or higher on air with the same CPU. I was hoping to hit 4 as well, but ended up with 3.8, then lowered it to 3.6 after getting some awesomely OC-able memory (The revered Samsung 22nm stuff! - I still have a bunch of 2GB sticks if anyone is interested [was planning on bigAdv, but never materialized] ).

R3D88 wrote:
Gero, nice job on that PPD boost this week! Looking at your numbers, they go way up in January. Did you get some goodies for Christmas?

I had someone folding for me as a favor, then switched my main folder back from my "other" team **cough* PNY_Folds *cough** at the end of Feb. Winning a GPU and selling it on the cheap has it's advantages 8) I switched back due to my points there passing my total here. I couldn't have that!

As for OCing, I take the long process. GPUs are dead simple, CPUs are complex as hell. On a GPU, memory has little to no effect on folding.

Here's my process:
I do tons of research on my particular part, look up the relevant settings used by others, use the 'lowest' settings found for a solid OC, subtract a bit, then start my journey from there. For my CPU the process was a week or so and I followed meticulous tutorials and similar materials. For a GPU, the process can take a while, but it's much easier.
On this GPU (Radeon 7970), I started around 1050 MHz or so, stress tested (for me, folded) comfortably for a solid few hours while watching temps and stuff. I start by raising in 10 MHz increments or so, then once I hit too high of temps, artifacting, or failing of some sort, I back it off to before the last change (if I was attempting 1100 from 1090, I back it to 1080). I then move to smaller increments and do the same thing (5, 3, 2, 1 MHz). I don't always go through to 1 MHz, but if I ever have problems, I start backing up by 2 MHz or so at a time ( :lol: I have a preference for even numbers, but I also like increments of 5s, sometimes I just say f*ck it and do something like **47 just to mess with myself :roll: )