Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Maxwell GPUs
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:17 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
I've been pretty fired up about the new Maxwell cards from NVIDIA due to the price/performance ratio and power consumption. I haven't been able to find out much but here's what I've gathered if anybody else is interested.

First here's some compute performance numbers.

Looks pretty good...

Secondly, it appears that Core 17 WUs fail, this can be alleviated by running an older V6 client (on Windows) and so only getting Core 15s.

Post subject: Re: Maxwell GPUs
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:36 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

I wonder how much that card will retail for. I looked up a couple they compared it with and they seem to be $150 and down.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:39 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Newegg is the only place I've looked so far. The 750s are like $120 and the 750 Ti cards are running $150+.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:47 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

oh, I didn't realize they were out yet... lol thought they were early test numbers. Do they have maxwell in a stronger flavor than that? Is that what the 780ti is based off of?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:53 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

These are the first Maxwell cards. They kept the 700 series numbers, though. Not sure why, maybe because those model numbers were still open, or it's kind of a tick-tock thing, I dunno. Anyways, the big Maxwell cards I think are due out later this year (wanting to say Q3). It will be really cool to see those.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:15 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The reason NVIDIA released Maxwell as a midrange card (I consider $100 or less "entry level") is because of the manufacturing issues going down to 22nm or 20nm. So rather than waiting for that to be ironed out, they went with a 28nm release. This way, they can release a design now and tweak with it later when 22nm or 20nm is finally ready. And since NVIDIA makes modular GPUs, it should be easy to scale up to a high end GPU once the new processes are ready.

Maxwell is a pretty amazing piece of silicon when you think about it. When was the last time a midrange card did not need a PCIe power plug? That should be pretty good news once the high end models hit. Should be more PPD for the wattage.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:19 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Why don't you Fold Latios? (or do you?) I bet you've got some horsepower.

*edit*So it is somewhat akin to Intel's tick-tock.

Last edited by crwlngkngsnk on Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:24 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

LatiosXT wrote:
When was the last time a midrange card did not need a PCIe power plug?

I just helped a buddy with an older PC running a AMD 6770. It's no where near the high end, but it didn't have a plug on it and that shocked me because everything midrange and up I've seen since my 2600 have had one.

Compared to the cards in the testing kngsnk posted though, I'm sure most of them need that extra juice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:46 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Yeah, pretty sure those all take at least a six-pin. The comparable AMD cards put up some good numbers, but they are power hungry little red devils.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:58 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

AMD has been pushing price/performance at all costs. They usually lose in the other categories... like heat, noise, and power consumption.

The R9 295X2 is the first time they beat NVIDIA in heat and noise. But that's not even a fair comparison x3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:12 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Actually lately on the higher end Nvidia handily beats AMD for noise, heat, and power consumption.

I have been shopping video cards lately and I have been very careful to track both power and heat requirements.

Since I live in Central Florida (Moved from Chicagoland) back in 1992) I have to be careful with my A/C bill.

I absolutely want to upgrade my HTPS video card and processor and I have been thinking getting another AMD FX-8350 processor and one of the latest AMD video cards for the HTPC which will replace it's current AMD 1090 processor and pathetic video card. My HTPC does need a faster processor because the old 1090 bogs down running FAH and the HTPC has such a bad and extremely week video card that it can't run the folding application.

On my main machine with the 8350 processor my GTX 670 video card gets about four times the points as the processor.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:10 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Dglang, For your personal information when looking for new cards, I know folding performance is hard to find online, but the R9 270x seems to get about 65k ppd on its own. Fah estimates up to 90k, but ive been tracking eoc.

Ive been on computers that bog down with gpu folding enabled, this one does not. Heck ive even played some less demanding games without stopping any folding.

It also never gets over 70c with 24/7 folding. That suprised me since ive seen many gpus getting into the 80s. It does have a decent cooler stock from xfx though. The "double dissipation" cooler is the same as they use on higher end cards I think. The fans on it stay really quiet too, not silent, but cant hear it from 10ft, so close enough.

If you are an Nvidia fan, none of that matters, but again, that info is hard to find and this card seems to address all your concerns.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:40 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

For a HTPC space and power might be concerns. Just spit-balling, it depends on his chassis and PSU. Not trying to undercut you R3D, I know I tend to lean NVIDIA, but I'm no fanatic.

R3D88 wrote:
...folding performance is hard to find online, but the R9 270x seems to get about 65k ppd on its own. Fah estimates up to 90k, but ive been tracking eoc.

I think the client just takes whatever you're working on now and projects 24 hours at the same rate; so there's no accounting for downtime, slow downs, delays, and of course the varying point values for different projects and/or different Cores. Also, because it's projecting a constant rate it's making an estimate based on fractions of a WU, which you can't actually turn in and get points for.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:31 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

It actually seems to vary the TPF between 9 mins and 14 mins, but if I look at my log file, im CONSISTENTLY getting 11mins and 50 seconds, give or take 10 seconds. So when it thinks its 9 mins or so, it tells me 80-90k and when it guesses 14, it tells me like 50-60k.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:44 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

The Budget is the major concern along with getting it past the wife who doesn't like me to spend any money on computers.

I have to be very careful in what I spend and HEAT is a major concern living here in Florida.

The new 750's seem very tempting for the HTPC which doesn't need much for a video card itself, just for the folding.

Since the 750's seem to be very efficient and low power drawing I think that they will do for the HTPC.

A pair of 750's added to the HTPC for folding only might be able to match my current GTX 760 of my main machine at a lower cost and less power consumption and heat. Also, I can easily fit in one per month without breaking the budget. I possibly could also add one to my main machine since I don't need to run SLI. In either case, I want to try one first to see if it is worth doing. I need to get the best return for my limited finances.

I have been living on Social Security and a very small pension since that last accident. I actually wound up losing at least ten years off my very well paying career and I simply don't have the resources to do what I want to do. I want at least two very good machines each one capable of fully backing up the other along with a third lesser machine just in case one of the first two fails.

My major rig already has a GTX 760 and that is more than enough for what I need there since I seldom play any games on it, mostly video editing and compression.

If it works out that two 750's out produce the GTX 760 at a lower purchase price and operating cost then perhaps I will simply put in two 750's in my main machine and sell the 760 or keep it for the spare.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:48 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

dglang wrote:
If it works out that two 750's out produce the GTX 760 at a lower purchase price and operating cost then perhaps I will simply put in two 750's in my main machine and sell the 760 or keep it for the spare.

I'd definitely go with 750s. Stanford is continually improving the cores to work with newer architecture/tech. I'd sell the 760 and, for a backup, get a single used $30-50 card for anything that may fail. Save the money in something that makes some interest or something similar. Doesn't do you any good having a GPU sitting around doing nothing that will lose value by the day :wink:

Also, with two 750s in a single machine, you can use one to backup whatever else may fail in the house, so no wasted card(s) sitting around.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:38 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

As I mentioned on another thread, I am returning the GTX 750 TI because it fails to live up to expectations. I will be replacing it with another much better video adaptor.

Based on the reviews that I have read, I was expecting the 750 TI to generate a little more than 50% of what a GTX 760 provides. However, it wound up generating much less than 50% of my GTX 760.

Another side effect is that in order to run the 750 TI under folding, it had to fall back to a much older SMP processor version resulting in reduced points from my CPU.

While the total points generated by using the GTX 760 TI GPU along with my AMD 1090 BE 6 core CPU were more than what I was receiving from my AMD 1090 BE alone, I was never going to be satisfied with the 750 TI GPU.

I am still looking forward to the new high end Maxwell chips in the new smaller trace sizes but this time I will wait until all the bugs are ironed out before I risk buying one of them again.

In my excitement about the new Maxwell GPUs I forgot to remember that the "leading edge" is also known as the "bleeding edge" for good cause.

This is not the first time I was burned or disappointed and it most likely won't be the last either.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:27 am 
Team Member
Team Member

dglang wrote:
As I mentioned on another thread, I am returning the GTX 750 TI because it fails to live up to expectations. I will be replacing it with another much better video adaptor.

Based on the reviews that I have read, I was expecting the 750 TI to generate a little more than 50% of what a GTX 760 provides. However, it wound up generating much less than 50% of my GTX 760.

Can you tell us the numbers (if you can remember)? What were the 750 and 760 PPD?

Post subject: 750 Ti PPD
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:29 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Okay, I'm back from the Monkey's dungeon. That Interrogation Rm. #3 is one cold mutha. Fortunately, I was able to slither out while they were all in a banana induced stupor. On my way I snagged an MSI Twin Frozr Gaming GeForce GTX 750 Ti. I know I was warned against such folly, but the heart wants what the heart wants. So, here's the real deal Holyfield for anybody that was wanting to know. I had a hell of a time trying to find good info, especially numbers, online so I figured I'd put some up. I don't know why it should take 3+ months for somebody to do something so simple, unless I just didn't find the right place to look. Anyways, here goes:
MSI Twin Frozr Gaming GeForce GTX 750 Ti @1337Mhz (MSI Gaming OC to 1202+Afterburner additional 135Mhz, this is the Boost clock I'm assuming as it's running full-bore Folding. Not bad seeing as reference base clock rate is 1020. It's running about 94% of it's power envelope (no overvolting possible, PCIe slot power only). I didn't touch memory clock or anything else. Driver version 322.17 F@H client version 7.4.4. I don't SMP fold on this machine. As of right now Maxwell only gets Core_15, Core_17 is still unstable as far as I know. No QRB on Core_15, so the base and estimated values are the same. These are the only WUs I've observed so far, I will update.
WU 7620(47,0,36) TPF 6'20" Base/Estimated 5187 PPD 11794
WU 7622(258,0,107) TPF 6'20" Base/Estimated 14093 PPD 32043
WU 7622(493,0,215) TPF 6'20" Base/Estimated 14093 PPD 32043
WU 7626(105,0,212) TPF 6'25" Base/Estimated 14093 PPD 31626
WU 7621(531,0,228) TPF 6'20" Base/Estimated 5187 PPD 11794
WU 8018(10,0,471) TPF 5'04" Base/Estimated 5757 PPD 16362

Total time per WU has been around 10.5 hours. So, it'll do two WUs a day for about 20-30K. I haven't put the Kill-A-Watt on it yet, so I don't know about power consumption, but it has to be less than the hardware I'm using this to replace, and a shit-ton more points, too, so this was a good deal for me. I got this card off ebay for $120.00. I think it's the best version out there. If it saves me $10/month in electricity it'll pay for itself in a year. If it keeps netting me ~30K I might end up stopping my old dual-proc server, that would save me $20-30/month. Runs cool (about 55C so far, we'll see as ambient temps go up) and whisper quiet. Originally I wanted EVGA's basic model, new for $140.00. I think you'll hit a power wall before you hit the wall on clock speeds (I think I read that 60W is a hard limit, with or without a six-pin), you can OC the crap out of these bastids. I had a bitch of a time getting it working, first the crappy old mobo I wanted to put it on (Asus M2R32-MVP) just doesn't seem to have the resources (memory address space? IRQ's? getting a little out of my depth there, I tried running it with only 1GB of RAM and only one HDD, no other add-in cards, still no joy), so I put it in an old Dell OEM box. I got it to work, but only with driver version 322.17. And there you go.