Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Gonna slow down just a bit for this (long) weekend
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:59 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

My folding may be taking a bit of a hit over the next few days because I am off of work due to a root canal :( As a few of you know, my pc is what it is due to gaming and with all this extra time, I will most likely be gaming a little more as I recover. It has already been a bit slow because I played a lot when I left work early due to pain Tuesday and yesterday I was home all day as well.

I'm hoping the pain subsides by Monday because I don't want to use all my vacation on pain and not summer pleasure.

My advice to all of you after this last week is DO NOT EVER IGNORE A CAVITY! I was gonna get it fixed after I paid off my credit card, and out of no where, the worst pain in my life. I've lost sleep and concentration, as well as cash trying to ease the pain. Root canals are a 3 step process, first appointment was done today at 2:30 (tooth-hurty...) and next comes Monday the 14th.

Keep on folding, and see your dentist!

Post subject: Re: Gonna slow down just a bit for this (long) weekend
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:34 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Best of luck at the dentist!

I'm a big fan of bags of frozen peas and corn as ice packs to help with pain and swelling. They work great, conform to your face, and are cheap! Just be sure to keep a kitchen towel or the like between your face and the ice pack.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:01 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Yea, I didnt have peas, but I had a Birds Eye pasta meal thing that was close enough yesterday. More expensive than a bag of peas, but I needed relief and it was the best I had.

Now I have better. Dr. gave me "Vicoprofin" and it seems to be doing great :) Hope to have this behind me soon though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:16 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

O' boy You don't want to ignore tooth pain, I can tell a story that covers about 3 years. If you want to read it let me know, it's one about a young kid that is stupid but gets more stupid as an adult.

@R3D88 It was fun to have the challenge, thank you. I had my daughter on board to watch, most mornings before I left for work (I leave at 5:00am) she wanted to know what place we were in. It's hard to get her up at 6:00 for school most of the time.

Take care of that tooth, in the mean time keep recruiting for 11108.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:15 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

EasyE wrote:
O' boy You don't want to ignore tooth pain, I can tell a story that covers about 3 years. If you want to read it let me know, it's one about a young kid that is stupid but gets more stupid as an adult.

If you are willing to share a story, I am willing to read it! The more activity we get on these forums the better!

EasyE wrote:
@R3D88 It was fun to have the challenge, thank you. I had my daughter on board to watch, most mornings before I left for work (I leave at 5:00am) she wanted to know what place we were in. It's hard to get her up at 6:00 for school most of the time.

I'm not going anywhere (yet, summer heat will put a pause to me for a while), I'm just gonna have a few extra hours with the gpu not folding. I would estimate it runs 22/7, but right now its more like 18/7. I've had my eye on you, and while you are climbing, I think ill just be an easier target if I dip to 55kppd.

EasyE wrote:
Take care of that tooth, in the mean time keep recruiting for 11108.

I'm doing what I can for both! Even when I quit for the summer, I want to stay here, it has always been a fun place to socialize with others with similar interests. I feel bad about forgetting about the forums for so long, but I hope I can maintain my presence as well as all of you, even when times get tough and folding has to be put on the backburner.

I also appreciate the concern, feels good to have more people who want you to feel better :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:39 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

R3D, how's the tooth feel'n?

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:10 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Still really sore, but not so much the tooth, more the gums and jaw. Seems like I have a lot of pain caused by chewing exclusively on one side. I have a full week until my next appointment then, so I hope it keeps getting better. I no longer get unbearable excruciating pain, but it is a dull lasting pain. Not taking meds as often though, and starting to eat with more of my mouth, although they said be careful with that temporary filling.

Thank you for the concern! Means a lot!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:57 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Hey, no problem. Had my fair share of tooth pain/surgeries/adventures. I know it can be a real hassle, so I'm hoping that things go smoothly and quickly for ya!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:34 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

R3D88 wrote:
Still really sore, but not so much the tooth, more the gums and jaw. Seems like I have a lot of pain caused by chewing exclusively on one side. I have a full week until my next appointment then, so I hope it keeps getting better. I no longer get unbearable excruciating pain, but it is a dull lasting pain. Not taking meds as often though, and starting to eat with more of my mouth, although they said be careful with that temporary filling.

Thank you for the concern! Means a lot!

So the big question is What games have you been playing slacker? :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:00 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

HAHA, not a whole lot actually, kinda been in a rut. Still put in a little time for Arkham City, League of Legends, and Starcraft. Only an hour or so of each though.

My PC was down for a while this weekend, however, but not due to gaming. You are talking with the proud new owner of a Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD!

My old setup was 300gb 10,000rpm VelociRaptor for a C: drive, a 320gb 7,200rpm WD Caviar for most games (favorites are on C: though), and 2 2tb WD Green drives in RAID 1 to keep all the videos and such...

I took half a day off the fold to change that to the 840 Evo as a C:, then find an imaging program that works for all drives to move all the info off my games drive to the Velociraptor, and then I un-RAIDed the 2tb drives because they were full and made the one a backup for important files, and room for extra storage. I decided that I dont need 1.5TB of video backed up anymore now that Netflix is around...

I was expecting a measurable boost in pc performance, but nothing like this! My pc used to take about 12 seconds after the "welcome" screen to have all my icons loaded and Skype and the FAH client to come up... now as soon as the welcome screen dissolves, its all there, not even a second later!

I HIGHLY recommend one, I got mine on sale too!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:13 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Whoo-hoo! Congrats on the SSD. Nice one, too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:38 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Thanks! Yea, I've seen sooooo many videos and read sooooo many reviews about how good the Evo is, so when it went on sale for $15 off... I couldn't help myself.

Going from the FASTEST HD out there, I knew it would still help, but did not expect this! I love it!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:39 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Hey R3D! Hopefully the doc fix'd ya up right.

Congrats on the new EVO! I'm running a Crucial M500 myself, and couldn't be happier. I remember several years ago when to get a sliver of space, it cost you an arm and a leg, but now you can snag a SSD for a fraction of the price!

From: http://www.storagesearch.com/2003-archi ... guide.html

"Platypus Technology says that their entry level QikDRIVE 8 is their most popular product. The QikDRIVE is a PCI module that plugs directly into the server or workstation, to provide 2 to 8GB of storage."

"Budgetary price for the QikDRIVE is $3-$5k depending on capacity."

...those were NOT spouse-friendly figures.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:25 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Hahaha. "Hey honey, I'm gonna spend $3000 on a PCI disk drive that can hold one movie."
Spouse: "I don't know what any of that means, but there's no way in hell you're spending $3000 on it."

Last edited by crwlngkngsnk on Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:03 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

SSDs are still super expensive imo, but it is better, and a lot of the "growing pains" of the new tech are gone. I really wish I could get another, or have been able to afford a 512/1tb... I just want all my games on it so I can enjoy fast loading there.

Just navigating windows seems faster though, and that is nice. Plus the way my case is designed, it will hold a 10.5" GPU if you have 4-7 standard drives (plus up to 2 SSDs), or about 12" with 3 or less large HDs and up to 6 SSDs. Even more with only 2 SSDs, but not many GPUs get past that size. Heck, the 10.4" one I have looked like a monster compared to all my previous ones. Makes me wonder what GPUs will look like in a few years :o

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:07 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

LemurWrangler wrote:
Hey R3D! Hopefully the doc fix'd ya up right.

Yea, the pain is pretty much gone. Just went in for round 2 of the root-canal. That sucked, not because of the procedure, but because it was at 9am and I'm a 2nd shifter who wakes up at 10:30 on a really good day... Now I just need to have the actual dentist finish it off. I can't wait until I can eat normally again. I either need to eat on just one side, or eat really soft foods.