Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: *OFF TOPIC* What video games do you play?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:16 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

I know a good amount of MaximumPC readers are gamers, so I was wondering what everyone has been playing. Any long time favorites? Just trying new games? Addicted to anything?

Personally, I am a long time Starcraft fan. Obviously playing Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm for now, but I've had SC2 since not long after it was released and I've played the original Starcraft and Broodwar since I was rocking a Pentium 133mhz. Within the last couple years I have gotten into watching it a lot once I realized it is televised in South Korea. I watch tournaments when I can, but there are also a few castors who just do specific matches from replays that I watch too. Despite my loyalty to the game, I still suck, lol, but I keep trying. Life and other games get in the way of me getting good.

I like to play lots of other stuff too, I've recently beaten Sleeping Dogs. That game is great for fans of GTA or the Batman games. I also recently acquired Batman: Arkham City and Tomb Raider, although neither have more than 45 mins of play time yet.

I also sprinkle in a few games of Unreal Tournament 2004 here and there. There is nothing like that high speed, run-and-gun pace and it is a lot of fun. I own Unreal Tournament 3, but its missing something in its gameplay that keeps the feel away from the more classic UTs. Plus the Onslaught mode in 2004 is a lot of fun.

I've been trying to get my girlfriend to play UT2k4 with me, but she is in love with Left4Dead2. We play a campaign together every few nights since she got her laptop a couple months ago.

The game that has gotten most of my attention lately is League of Legends. I still dont know if I like it or not, seems like I play an awesome game, then the next one is mismatched and we get killed. I've got 3 or 4 coworkers who play League though, so I figured I would give it a shot. The game has well over 100 characters, so it's hard to learn who does what. Maybe I need to try a diferent one myself.

All the above are played on my PC, but I also own an Xbox360 and a Wii U. The 360 really doesn't get any use anymore, it used to play Left4Dead, but that was before we got the 2nd computer. We play L4D a lot more now that its not on a console. We do play the Wii U a decent amount, but usually only when we have my daughter or friends over. Then its a party box. Nintendoland is great fun and we have wasted countless hours with that.

Ok, that was longer than I hoped, but hopefully someone will enjoy the read, maybe you like the same games, maybe your tastes differ. Either way, I would like to hear about it.

So... What do you play?

Post subject: Re: *OFF TOPIC* What video games do you play?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:19 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Not much of a gamer anymore. I used to play TF2 and I might once in a while. Updates are terrible because sometimes Steam asks to download updates ranging for few hundred megabytes to a gig. Also play a bit of Simutrans, the transport simulator. It's pretty fun and you have much more options than SimCity. I got Doom2 and played a bit of that. And latest, I found that MechWarrior 4 is available for download for free. I always wanted to play it when I was little. I'm not really into the new games. I "beat" Skyrim a while ago.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:39 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Just finished up Far Cry 3 in single player mode and enjoyed it, but by about half way through, it felt linear and prescribed.

A few years ago, bought Fallout: New Vegas to play on my then new MSI laptop, and was hooked. Love the open world setting, enjoy the FPS aspect, and I really really like how your choices throughout the story have a real impact on how the story line is told. 300+ hours later, I still return to explore the wasteland from various save points in the game. I have a hunch that my preference is with dystopian game settings over sci-fi or fantasy, but I might have to test that hypothesis...

Right now on my To-Do gaming docket, I have Bioshock Infinite and Assassin's Creed 4 cued up.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:29 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Good call on Bioshock Infinite! I also have that and have only played about an hour or so of it. These darn Steam sales have me sitting on more games than I can play when they are all $5-$8!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:41 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

I have been playing dead island

I have also been playing some older games on steam.

I am a old fart and like the GOG.

If I had the time I would be all over BF4.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:58 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

How much have you played Dead Island? Is it a good game?

Like I said, my girlfriend plays a lot of Left for Dead, and I want to play other games with her, but am having a hard time getting her to try others.

Right now Dead Island is available for $5 on Steam, I could pick up 2 copies for us pretty easily, but the only other Zombie game I've played besides L4D and CoD:Nazi Zombies was Dead Rising, and that game sucked in my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:12 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
I have been gaming for a little while, the first ones were on tape in the early 80s. first machine was a trs80, first on line modem game was empire, which I doubt anyone has heard of, it was a Xs and Os game in the beginning. it got graphics later but by then I had lost interest for better games.

Have played all the doom, unreal, wolfinstein, load runner, colossal cave, duke nukem, wing commander (the best in it's time), half life, colonization, I have owned every civilization release and play civ5 regularly.

all the call of duty releases, although I don't play on line. and not often anymore. all the farcry games still play 2 and 3 (no way is it linear, you can go or do whatever you want.

I am retired, (will be 70 this year) still playing civ5, farcry2 and 3. bioshock infinite, age of empires III, sniper ghost warrior 1 and 2, crysis3 (have them all), battlefield 4, all three mass effect games (playing through it again now) have all the MOH series, and others that I play from time to time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:54 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Holy crap, g.m. you are the coolest. Airborne! (That's a thing, right? A buddy of mine told me that
the Airborne guys would yell "Airborne", it could be a victory shout, battle cry, a curse, depending on context)

Last edited by crwlngkngsnk on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:06 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

R3D88 wrote:
How much have you played Dead Island? Is it a good game?

Like I said, my girlfriend plays a lot of Left for Dead, and I want to play other games with her, but am having a hard time getting her to try others.

Right now Dead Island is available for $5 on Steam, I could pick up 2 copies for us pretty easily, but the only other Zombie game I've played besides L4D and CoD:Nazi Zombies was Dead Rising, and that game sucked in my opinion.

Dead island I just made it into the city and the church. It is a good game, at first I did not like it much played for a few hours and put it away for a few months. But when I got back into it I found it to be a very good game. I just got my first gun but find using my upgraded weapons to be more fun. The gore is awesome love how they change it up.

I have both L4D I am into zombie killing, like watching the walking dead to. I am ready when the zombie apocalypse comes. I have not tried dead island multi-player but it sounds like it would be fun, thinking of getting another steam account so my son can play with me. It's a little hard for him but he loves watching me play.

Check this out:
http://zombieexperiences.co.uk/
http://www.zombiesurvivalcamp.ca/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:05 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

the airborne is not me, it is the avatar of an old team member that had a massive heart attack and didnt survive.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:54 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

g.m.waters (red ranger3) wrote:
the airborne is not me, it is the avatar of an old team member that had a massive heart attack and didnt survive.

Oh wow, sorry. I (obviously) totally didn't know that. I hate being the new guy sticking his foot in his mouth. Well, one time for him then, AIRBORNE!
You're still the coolest.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:20 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Would you believe me if I said that the games I currently have installed are Heroes of Might and Magic III, BF1942, Star Wars Battlefront II, Dungeon Keeper, and Assassin's Creed? No? Oh good, because that would be ridiculous, right? :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:47 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

crwlngkngsnk wrote:
g.m.waters (red ranger3) wrote:

Oh wow, sorry. I (obviously) totally didn't know that. I hate being the new guy sticking his foot in his mouth. Well, one time for him then, AIRBORNE!
You're still the coolest.

thats what happens when you have been here a long time. :wink: when you see an avatar with another embedded avatar that is normally the reason, we have lost one, you will see gsmithmans avatar embedded in some others avatars for the same reason.

not many done anymore, since it was gsmithman that did for other team members.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:02 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

I've seen the ones for 'g' and understood them. I've read back through some old posts here and there, I can see why he was so well loved here.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:50 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

UPDATE!

I did get Dead Island off of EasyE's recommendation, and my girl LOVES it. I also think the game is quite fun, but the co-op mode seems like a half-a$$ afterthought. You walk around the same level together, but whoever talks to the person with the goals gets the waypoints on the map, so the other person has to blindly follow, and if you get split up, you have no idea what way to work towards. Even with its issues we played for like 3 hours the first time we tried it, haha.

We also dug up Rock Band tonight. I got like 4 Rockband/Guitar Hero games with my 360 i bought from a friend as well as 3 guitars, 2 mics, and drums, but I never really played it. It throws me way back to high school though. I'm 25 now, but when I was 16-17 with my first car the hangout spot was usually whoever had Guitar Hero. Stay out 'til curfew playing 2 people at a time. Good times, good times....

My daughter also just got a perfect report card, and she has been talking about Pikmin because she loves the mini-game in Nintendoland and wants the full game, so I picked up Pikmin 3 as a reward for her great performance in school! We have yet to play it, but the first one was fun for a while, so I'm exited for it.

The Wii U is great fun, but I have a hard time buying games for it after being spoiled by $5-$10 AAA titles on Steam sales, but I love to make her smile and want to keep her motivated to learn (plus I did kinda want it myself :wink: )

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:40 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

crwlngkngsnk wrote:
I've seen the ones for 'g' and understood them. I've read back through some old posts here and there, I can see why he was so well loved here.

It might not be as noticeable as some, but Gordon's dog Daisy is by the feet of my avatar.

As far as PC games, I really never played them much. When I got my first computer, I played a game called StarFlight, and later played a couple of the Ultima series games. Since then, I dabbled with the first CoD and a disc-based version of WoW.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:06 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

I'm not much of a gamer, but I have been playing need for speed since the games started. Currently playing Hot pursuit and I love Most Wanted. It's great taking out cops and not getting into real trouble for it. Also there's something about driving 100 to 150 mph around a city with a dozen cops chasing you.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:58 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Barryfla wrote:
I'm not much of a gamer, but I have been playing need for speed since the games started. Currently playing Hot pursuit and I love Most Wanted. It's great taking out cops and not getting into real trouble for it. Also there's something about driving 100 to 150 mph around a city with a dozen cops chasing you.

Would that be the 3rd Hot Pursuit and the 2nd Most Wanted (the most recent ones) or NFS3:HP/ NFS:HP2 and the original Most Wanted from 2006ish?

I used to love NFS, but they are very hit or miss since Pro-Street. Although the recent Hot Pursuit is fun, Rivals is pretty bad, and Most Wanted was ok, but I didn't understand how I can get some of the best cars in the game right away... I miss High Stakes, the original Most Wanted, and the Underground series where you get a car and build it up and be proud of it, and save for a better car of a higher tier once you've maxxed out your old one.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:28 am 
Million Club
Million Club

R3D88 wrote:
Barryfla wrote:

Would that be the 3rd Hot Pursuit and the 2nd Most Wanted (the most recent ones) or NFS3:HP/ NFS:HP2 and the original Most Wanted from 2006ish?

I used to love NFS, but they are very hit or miss since Pro-Street. Although the recent Hot Pursuit is fun, Rivals is pretty bad, and Most Wanted was ok, but I didn't understand how I can get some of the best cars in the game right away... I miss High Stakes, the original Most Wanted, and the Underground series where you get a car and build it up and be proud of it, and save for a better car of a higher tier once you've maxxed out your old one.

The newest of both. I haven't played Rivals, haven't even heard much about it. I remember having to work on making your car better, and not just finding them. Still Most Wanted with all of the cars is fun. Just playing around after coming home from work, trashing cop cars, and causing chaos in the city is great. I have won a lot of the challenge races so I customize my cars. I also bought the expansion series Terminal Velocity, Legends, and Heroes which adds more cars and 4 more most wanted cars to the game. Also the Terminal Velocity series adds an Air Port to the game.
I have Call of Duty 2 and 3, not very good at either. I also bought Skyrim the Elder Scrolls because I love the graphic. I suck at playing it. I enjoy watching others that are really good at the game play live online to see what can be done. I just won't devote that much of my time to learning all of that, I'm a casual gamer.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:13 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Between a toddler and increased responsibilities at the office, gaming is a lot lighter than it used to be for me. I still love to sit down for some left 4 dead (i prefer the orig but 2 is fun too), but lately what time i've had has been going into titanfall. Never thought I would go for the COD format but...giant mechs...;) If anyone is into either of those please drop me a PM, always looking for new steam (or now origin....also never thought i'd install that...) friends