Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roll Call! (or Who are you people?)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:54 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Probably, but if so then I need to, also. I was kinda just funning, based off of the the fact that he's an old hand here and a moderator and whatnot. When I first signed up for these forums I remember frantically trying everything I could think of to get in touch with him so that my first few posts would get validated or whatever. Eventually I started to figure out how stuff works around here.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:30 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

@MonsterBuilder I've always used dglang at Maximumpc. I started following the mag with the original "BOOT" issues.

I was somewhat active in the old Delphi forums.

My computer background began in 1967 after I got out of the Army (ETS). I started as a control Clerk at a very large Chicago Insurance Corporation and worked my way into operations and then into programming.

I joined the Army after I graduated High school and I never went to college. I have learned everything I know about computers by studying and teaching myself.

When I first tried the folding app after the United Devices project completed I joined the Free Republic team but I only completed one unit there and decided at that time to not continue with the folding project.

Since I now have a LOT of free time on my hands I very recently decided to give folding another try. My 10 machines back when I first tried were very slow compared to my two current machines and it took a lot of time to complete that single work unit. I felt at that time that due to the long completion time and how badly my machines struggled that I would stop folding until such time as I would be able to acquire much faster computers.

After I was forced into retirement back in December 2000 I simply didn't have enough finances (Social Security Disability doesn't pay much and I had a lot of bills to pay) to make a respectable effort in the folding project even though I did very well in the United Devices project.

Folding has improved a lot since my original effort and I have slowly been able to buy better hardware which is now allowing me to resume folding and obtain reasonable points.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:26 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

The legend of the hackman is but a rustle on a whisper of the breeze through the forest of MaxPC's Folding Forum. Smaller than a fleck of dust floating through a beam of sunlight breaking through that forest's lush overgrowth. As fleeting as a lemur scurrying from one hiding place to another.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:47 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Lemur! Get it! *crash, groan, pant, grumble* $*@&!#% lemurs.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:33 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

R3D88 wrote:
Should I feel bad for not knowing of the legend that is hackman?

...because I do. :cry:

hackman2007 was/is a mod in the help section of the forum. A virus killer extraordinaire, if I remember right. I think he was the one who made some guides that I followed a couple of times for eradicating computer bugs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:35 pm 
FoldingMonster
FoldingMonster

dglang wrote:
@MonsterBuilder I've always used dglang at Maximumpc. I started following the mag with the original "BOOT" issues.

I was somewhat active in the old Delphi forums.

My computer background began in 1967 after I got out of the Army (ETS). I started as a control Clerk at a very large Chicago Insurance Corporation and worked my way into operations and then into programming.

I joined the Army after I graduated High school and I never went to college. I have learned everything I know about computers by studying and teaching myself.

When I first tried the folding app after the United Devices project completed I joined the Free Republic team but I only completed one unit there and decided at that time to not continue with the folding project.

Since I now have a LOT of free time on my hands I very recently decided to give folding another try. My 10 machines back when I first tried were very slow compared to my two current machines and it took a lot of time to complete that single work unit. I felt at that time that due to the long completion time and how badly my machines struggled that I would stop folding until such time as I would be able to acquire much faster computers.

After I was forced into retirement back in December 2000 I simply didn't have enough finances (Social Security Disability doesn't pay much and I had a lot of bills to pay) to make a respectable effort in the folding project even though I did very well in the United Devices project.

Folding has improved a lot since my original effort and I have slowly been able to buy better hardware which is now allowing me to resume folding and obtain reasonable points.

Hey dglang,

I didn't serve, but should have - many in my family did - had four uncles pass through Vietnam, all of whom lived to NOT tell about it.

Of course, seeing as I was born just a few months before JFK was shot, I would have served in peacetime. Still - I could have gone nuke - grew up in Kings Bay area, had navy friends out the wazoo - wound up getting a nuclear eng degree, but never used it.

I think I started folding after becoming aware of it in MaxPC mag. I had to come up with an indoor hobby once kid #2 was born, so I tried my hand at building pc's. Used F@H to check their stability, got hooked.

Money is tight here, but for different reasons - the economy hits us all - most of my bucks go to keeping the kids away from metro Atlanta's public school disasters, though I'd probably keep them going private if we lived in a better district - when schools suspend kids for making a gun out of a pop tart - that's messed up, and I don't want my kids around such toxic stupidity.

Sorry to hear about forced retirement - that sucks - was it accident related, or just downsizing?

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:19 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

Guess it's time for my story to unfold, like my laundry from the laundry room to the bedroom....but I digress.

I don't remember what I started folding on...other then it being a Dell.

My name...TobyKY76...go grab some popcorn and a drink, this could take a while.

Toby - When I was in high school, I went to my best friends house one fine afternoon. His uncle was there, Phil. We were all sitting around laughing joking have a good ole time. Well, I said something to Phil (don't remember now, it was 25+ years ago). He chased me through the house and finally pinned me down. My 'friend'...my 'best' friend handed him a jar of vasoline. Relax, this is not one of those type stories. Anyway, he popped the lid and got a huge two finger scoop out. Started waving above my face saying: "Repeat after me."..."My name is Toby." Well of course I am going to refuse, trying to be billy bad a$$ and all. "Say it." After about 3 refusals, up my nose went the vasoline. Got another scoop. "My name is Toby." I finally said then demanded to be let up. "Repeat after me, I'll never run from you again Mr Phil." Refused, up the nose again. "Say it." Said it. So when I get to school the following Monday, I'm walking up the steps to where all my friends were hanging out..."Good morning Toby-the-little-vasoline-virgin-boy" as loud as they could. I felt like crawling under the rock and going back home. For the longest time that was my nickname. Finally it got shortened to Toby-the-vasoline-boy...and finally just Toby.

KY - I was born in Lexington, KY. Now I live in Ashland, KY.

76 - Birth year.

That's my story, don't forget to tip your waiter.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:32 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Glad to see you're owning the Toby now (happier it got shortened, though).

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:38 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

crwlngkngsnk wrote:
Glad to see you're owning the Toby now (happier it got shortened, though).

A story is a story. It's what makes people interesting, in my opinion.

Forgot to mention, I also use:
AlmostGood
AlmostGood76

in a few different online games.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:35 pm 
FoldingMonster
FoldingMonster

Holy Squeeze, TobyKY76, that was freakin' hilarious

You know, for the briefest moment, when you got to that "my 'best' friend handed him a jar of vasoline" part, I flashed to your name, saw "KY" in my head, and thought "OH SHITE, DUDE GRABBED PHIL'S KY BY MISTAKE!"

You just don't want anybody's KY up your nose...

Many years ago, I lived in Montreal for a winter - used to go running a lot - Vaseline wiped on the nose is a great defender against frostbite. Didn't put it IN my nose, though...

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:17 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

To MonsterBuilder, yes, it was an auto accident which lead to my early retirement at age 55 years of age depriving me of at least 15 years of my most productive employment.

My back was first injured while I was in the Army and it suffered two more insults in two major auto accidents back in October and December of 1991 or 1992. Neither accident was my fault and in the second accident which occurred in 25 degree below Zero weather in Chicago I totally demolished the rental car I was driving. The final auto accident was in December 2000 where once again I was not at fault since I was in my Suburban waiting at a stop light when a young kid read ended me causing $298.00 in damage to my rear bumper and destroyer the front end of his Saturn. All the force of the collision was transmitted through the Suburban's frame and into the back of the drivers seat which collapsed violently. The force of the impact went from the seat back into my spine which had already been injured a few times.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:44 pm 
Team Dino
Team Dino

Aww what the hey.

My folding/username is n0b0dykn0ws, but you can call me Tim.

I starting Folding sometime in 2004 (or a little before, can't remember for sure).

In 2004 I was 28 going on 29. Had survived Hodgkin's Lymphoma. So Folding turned into an addiction for me.

A friend of mine installed F@H on his computers to support me, hence the 'Team Dino' under my name.

I live near and work in Huntsville, AL as a computer analyst as a contractor. That term is because I do much more than base system administration these days. Can't go into that on the open internet. :P

I'm married, 2 kids, house in the 'burbs, etc, so most of my old hobbies are out the window. I use to be into model rockets in a big way, but it's been years since I've armed an engine. My son (oldest) just turned 5 last month, so I'm wondering where the years have gone!

It's been about a year since I've truly Folded, but that will probably changing in the next month if I can grab a pretty new graphics card.

My poor old Subaru Baja that I showed off pictures of in years past was in accident this past month. Another driver ran a red light and hit it. The insurance totaled it, so we bought my wife a loaded Nissan Altima, while I get the hoopty 2003 Honda Odyssey to drive around in. (When you're married you tend to put a back seat to your own priorities.)

That's okay! I bought a nice 60" LED TV recently! Whee!

I've been around long enough to hear the sad news of fellow Folders passing on to the great stats site in the sky. I think about the history every so often.

n0b0dykn0ws

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:16 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Hey guys, I just started folding for the team about 2 months ago but I'm hoping to stick around so I'll introduce myself. I'm from Georgia but live in Virginia now. 8 years in the Air Force in between. I've been reading Maximum PC for a long time and that's how I discovered F@H a long time ago. I was barely even running it back then though and unfortunately forgot about it (kicking myself now, I should have contributed a ton by now). But, recently I built a HTPC gaming rig, instead of buying one of the new consoles, and somewhere in the process had the thought that I should look at running F@H on here when I'm not using it. I'm currently folding on it (4770K, Radeon 7950, 16GB RAM, ROG Maximus VI Gene, 2x Samsung 840 Pro in RAID 0) and our family desktop (FX-8150, Radeon 6770, 8GB RAM, TUF Sabertooth 990FX, 2x Samsung 830 in RAID 0). I plan to upgrade the graphics in our desktop later this year so that should give me a good boost. Fortunately, I don't have any first hand experience with any significant diseases but I love contributing in some small way to something that, by all appearances, seems to be making actual contributions to science.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:22 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

I was born and raised in Chicago and I lived in Bolingbrook IL for about 16 years before I moved to the Orlando FL area back in late 1992.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:24 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I'll have a go at this. Been outta college for a while, working in the science sector. I fold because it's the closet I could get to computational chemistry. I also like computers and trying to learn programming but I never could put the effort to do it myself. So I play around, working on PCs, wandering the linux environments, etc. I know a bit of this and that. I guess I am a bit above in know-how than the average user.

I like to experiment and computers are really good for that, cause there's not too much expensive equipment or messy chemicals. Probably explains why I try to do unorthodox things like folding on linux. Maybe I'll turn my folding machine back on in a few days.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:20 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Quote:
I was born and raised in Chicago

Where about in the city dglang? Are you a southside, northside or westside mouse?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:24 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

On the northwest side (Addison and Laramie) until 8, a short stay in the country along the Fox river till 9, then relocated to the south west side (South Lawndale) until I graduated High School (Harrison Tech) and joined the Army. I returned to the near south side with the folks for a year or two and then Moved out to Cicero for a while eventually getting married and back to the southwest of Chicago again only to buy a home in Bolingbrook until moving to Florida late in 1992.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:45 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

Hello old and new friends. I'm ddforrester. I live in MI. I started folding back in 2007-2008 after reading a convincing article that led to my first Intel-cpu purchase since the good ole' Pentium 300MHz back in the mid-nineties. I was an AMD consumer and was running an Athlon 3800+ at the time !(2007-08) along side the trusty ATi 9800 Pro 256mb AGP. At the time I was interested in converting/encoding my family DVD collection for easier access and home theatre reasons to my brand new HUGE oh-my-goodness-will-they-ever-need-to-make-a-larger 320GB hard disk drive. Well, the article(s) in the MPC magazine convinced me that a CPU and a GPU upgrade were needed to lessen the hour-and-a-half each DVD handbrake job. I couldn't quite do the $300 Intel CPU but did purchase an AMD 3800+ X2 and a motherboard with a PCI-E slot. Encodes still took a while but I was now down just under an hour each encode. A while later I read another article in the magazine about CUDA by nVidia. Soon after Newegg had a good buy on a new 8800GT. I was in heaven during the GPU install. All I can say is that it's kind of like driving a brand new car. It was so exciting! After playing Oblivion with frame rates in the mid-to-upper 40's from the low 10's for a few nights I tried the CUDA encoding software. It was fast but the encode picture quality was horrible! Well, what do I do? There's a return policy that I should take advantage of but... We don't do that now do we? Haha! There must be some way I can justify keeping this shiny new GPU. I'm sure I googled things like: "cool things to do with a 8800GT/GTX" or the like for several hours until the search pointed me here to this very forum. Folding? Stanford? I read the forum for a while. At the time the MPC folding forum was abuzz. I had to learn via PM from Gordon to not feed the Monkey Federation. What did that mean? Huh. Lol! So many helpful and interesting people here! Built a couple more folders. The nicest one had an Intel quad-core and a pair of nVidia 260GTX's in it. Man, talk about heat! I learned about home-built wind-generators from wiredm. Gordon kept things lively and fun in here. We were scoring millions of points and paying high energy bills. Man it was a blast. I think it was the summer of '10 that I needed to shut down the folding effort here. We were going out of town for a couple weeks. After we got home my wife begged me to not start up the "hot-boxes" again. I love my wife. Nuff said. There's more but... Then as I usually do bi-monthly I was poking around the forums. Gordon said his wife, Rose, was very sick and he'd be away. Then... well, our friend informed us that she had passed. Then he followed. And... we miss them both. I am so very glad I got to know Gordan and the crew. You guys were so much fun. Even when Spider Monkey was picking on me for joining the cremesickles. I always go the underdog way. Anyways, the only time a desktop is on in this household now is when I've got business to tend to or we want to crash on the couch and watch a good movie. Can an iPad fold? Thanks for the opportunity to say hello.

Edited: forgot the hottest box had two 260's in it, not one ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:48 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

n0b0dykn0ws, ddforrester, wdfogg, awesome to meet you guys. I've always been especially curious about n0b0dykn0ws. Maybe because of the mysterious aura? Phillyj, what took you so long?
I came to Folding through the magazine as well, I really wish they'd do another article, maybe even show PPD for various GPUs. That would be some valuable tech journalism right there, besides, what are interns for?
Actively Folding or not as far as I'm concerned once 11108 always 11108, so nobody should feel like a stranger. We've got a great group of folks here. Smart, funny, kind, helpful, knowledgeable, and some are even incredibly good looking. I only know what I look like, so I'm extrapolating a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:12 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

dglang, glad to hear that you've seen all parts of the city! Wife was a northsider before we met, but my cunning ways brought her down to Hyde Park for a couple years, and then after two years in Oak Park, we moved even further south, and have been in Beverly for a while. It's a great neighborhood that's safe and you can get a decent amount of yard for a city lot. Wondering if you have any restaurants that you think I should check out...?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next