Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Roll Call! (or Who are you people?)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:04 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Hey everybody. R3D88 coming in here like a breath of fresh air is rubbing off a little, so I decided to try to do my bit. So here's Roll Call. I was thinking it'd be cool if some of the folks who come and read and stay up with what's going on but don't necessarily post would give a brief shout. Also, a great way to learn a little about each other. Oh, I don't know what the etiquette governing this is, hope I'm not being too declasse, but I really think Roll Call and What's your Folding hardware would look good stuck to the top of the Forum :wink:

So, I'm crwlngkngsnk, a handle I've had for a long time. Inspired by Johnny Lee Hooker and multiple repeated attempts to find something Yahoo wouldn't spit back out at me. I just started Folding in earnest last year. I didn't really start getting in to computers in a serious fashion until about 2007. I'm 35. I love tinkering and fixing hardware/Windows/networking problems. Not a code-monkey, more's the pity. I don't have any certifications and desktop techs have become a dime-a-dozen, so while I occasionally get some side-work I can't support myself doing it. Truth is I'm broke, kind of an unrepentant slacker, a Gen-X'er who could never quite shake his angst. I don't Fold out of a personal relationship with disease, although cancer, Alzheimer's, and MS have touched my family. I do it out of a love of science, and the chance to contribute in a way that might actually improve human quality of life. The fact that I'm a pack-a-day smoker probably counts in all that altruism somewhere, too. Okay, I think that'll do it for now, before this starts sounding like a dating profile.

Please don't feel compelled to write a novella, a simple "Hey, here I am" from a team member who doesn't post regularly would be awesome. Also, anybody heard anything out of L1vingStone? Haven't seen him around and his Folding has seriously slowed. I wonder what's up.

Post subject: Re: Roll Call! (or Who are you people?)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:52 pm 
FoldingMonster
FoldingMonster

Hey snk (I still think "buy a vowel" when I see your handle),

I started folding around 2004, I think. I actually started because I was looking for something to burn in my first build.

I believe it was the mag that pointed me to the forums around the same time.

The name "monsterbuilder" was a shout-out to all the jacked up builds I was anticipating building (and indeed built).

Nuclear engineer by education. although I don't work in that field.

Married, two kids; turned 50 in 2013.

It's not a perfect life, but I have many things in it to be happy about.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:27 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

MonsterBuilder wrote:
Married, two kids; turned 50 in 2013.

It's not a perfect life, but I have many things in it to be happy about.

Sounds pretty nice to me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:48 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

I am R3D88... the handle originated from people calling me "Red" due to my red hair, E turned 3 became my name on most all video games and websites, the 88 is my birth year and it came in because Red and R3D are almost always taken, and if you ever see IamR3D88 on the net, well thats me too in case R3D88 was somehow used... lol.

I am 25 currently, been building my own PCs since 4th grade (my dad helped on that one, but others were all me). That 1st one was a 386, then on to a 133mhz Pentium, skip a few platforms and now I'm on a 4.3ghz liquid cooled haswell i5... man how technology has changed :)

I'm a gamer, 95% on PC, but I have a Wii U and its great with 4-5 people. Huge Starcraft 2 fan, though I still suck, No time to practice with the job, girlfriend, and daughter, all of which come first usually in reverse order.

Also love my hobby grade R/Cs. Can't wait to get em out with spring starting to come into effect! I've got one R/C that'll do over 60mph easy, its fun to pass cars on an adjacent surface highway, look on drivers faces if they notice it is awesome :)

Ok, theres more, but thats a good "me in a nutshell"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:03 pm 
FoldingMonster
FoldingMonster

Just how big is a hobby grade 60mph R/C vehicle???

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:33 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

MonsterBuilder wrote:
Just how big is a hobby grade 60mph R/C vehicle???

about a foot wide, foot and a half long. I have 3 (worth mentioning) 2 of that size and one about the size of a sheet of paper. The big ones do about 40-45 and 60-70 and the little one does about 30ish. I'll post more about them sometime in the future in an *OFF TOPIC* thread.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:11 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

R3D88 wrote:
I'll post more about them sometime in the future in an *OFF TOPIC* thread.

Hell, nobody here but us chickens.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:30 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

crwlngkngsnk wrote:
Hell, nobody here but us chickens.

Hey even if it's just a few of us, as long as we stay active, maybe with time, we can grow. Worst case scenario, we learn more about each other.

Like I said, I'll get some posts goin just to let others see, and maybe discuss, other things. This place used to have em here and there, I'll just preface the heading with *OFF TOPIC*.

Hopefully a couple others do too! Make it about anything, I'll read about your hobbies, cars, landscaping, remodels, families, vacations, jobs, anything you find interesting, someone else will probably too!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:54 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

I just meant I wouldn't worry too much about being off topic. Since it looks like this thread is gonna amount to a bunch of hooey I don't think it matters. There's maybe 10 or so people who post, or read stuff here, and we all pretty much get along. I don't want to encourage Wild West free-for-all type behavior. I don't think SpiderMonkey cares, as long as there aren't dipshits doing dumb stuff. We pretty much get along in here. Me, you, MonsterBuilder, g. m. waters, EasyE, phillyj, OvenMaster, Gary480six, Gero1369, L1vingStone(?), DexOnLex, Jedd_bag, willis reads sometimes, seldom posts. Umm, who else? Willis hitting a billion was a big deal, brought a few people out. Smartcat99s, mfbowler1, SwingOp3. 7im is from Overclockers, but he swings through sometimes. That dude knows a lot about Folding. K_J_V, AliusBU. A few more here and there.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be great if we could get people interested, talking, getting to know each other, all that type stuff.

Please, please say "Hi", let us know you're still alive all of you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:08 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Been meaning to reply, but time is illusive :roll:

I'm Gero1369. Name comes originally from just plain Gero. I used it as a 'flight name' for myself when playing X-wing on my parent's old computer (prolly with a 1XX Mhz processor or even lower). I just kept the name. When I got into dragonball Z (DBZ), the name ended up being taken in some forums and elsewhere, so I appended the 13 for my favorite number (just to spite people that thought it unlucky) and, at the time being relatively young, the number 69 was quite fascinating, so that went on too.

Fast forward to now. I'm 32 with a wife and two young children (4 & 5 3/4). I can call myself inline with most of what crwlngkngsnk said about himself (angsty genX/millennial slacker [from what I hear, I'm considered on the cusp of genX & millenial]). No personal relationship with disease besides the usual cancer in the family and such. Fold out of love of humanity and science.
I'm a web developer at heart. I went to, but didn't finish school for web administration (it was even a tech school). I am technically employed as a web developer/designer, but get zero chance to actually use those skills in my current position (I'd call it a web content editor [I copy and paste content to update an intranet]). I'm still into science and even more so and increasingly over the past several years. I'm a huge advocate for education, lifelong learning, and the like. I've been teaching myself and learning more and more about various topics all of the time. Currently, I'm learning a bit of Wordpress, learning about Financial Independence/Early Retirement (gotta give the biggest shoutout to Mr. Money Mustache!!), and a bit of scientific & skeptical thinking.

Fun shit. Back to being a working stiff.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:24 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Gero1369 wrote:
When I got into dragonball Z (DBZ), the name ended up being taken in some forums and elsewhere, so I appended the 13 for my favorite number (just to spite people that thought it unlucky) and, at the time being relatively young, the number 69 was quite fascinating, so that went on too.

Haha, now every time I see your name I'm gonna chuckle.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:12 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Hey Gero1369, good to know you better. My birthday is the 13th so I've always used it for things. The rest I kinda had figured. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:56 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Greetings all!

It's great so see the energy in these past few posts! On my end, I started folding several years ago on an older Dell desktop, but started paying much more attention to it last year after I built my most recent machine with an i5 3570K and HIS 7870. It serves as my HTPC/gaming/folding machine, but I'm anxious to throw together a folding-only machine once I can scratch up the necessary means :lol:

So, lemurwrangler comes from a 6 month stint I spent in Madagascar as a field assistant where I helped gather data on lemur behavior and population densities. Living in a tent, eating rice 3X per day, and spending my days off washing my clothes on the rocks in a nearby stream certainly helps to give me some perspective when I'm bothered that my SSD is taking more time than I want to give it to boot up.

36 years old and married. Spend my days as a high school biology teacher, and during the summer I try to do something "science-y". From trips to the Amazon, to dinosaur hunting in Montana, I do my best to 'walk my talk' as I believe any teacher should. The past several summers, I've worked in a cancer research lab where I get to see first hand how excruciatingly slow science actually happens. But, when data reveals new understandings and what you plan to do actually works, it is incredibly exhilarating!

I'm incredibly proud to be part of such an altruistic and curious community, Fold on MPC!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:29 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Hey LemurWrangler. I always thought that handle was just meant to be humorous, I guess it's not as funny if you've actually had to try wrangling lemurs. Sounds like...fun? Actually sounds like a pretty cool life. I bet you're a good teacher, you've got character. Anyways, thanks for dropping in, I've been a little surprised at the lack of response.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:31 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

LemurWrangler wrote:
but started paying much more attention to it last year after I built my most recent machine with an i5 3570K and HIS 7870.

Does the machine only fold part of the day? I have an i5 4670k and an XFX R9 270x which im pretty sure is just a re-badged 7870. I looked up your EOC figuring you should be very similar to my PPD and was shocked to see it so low. You do seem to have some really good months though.

Nearly a year straight active is impressive, I know I have to stop for the summer. :cry:

You seem to have an interesting life. Keep it up and great job folding! :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:24 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Thanks for the response!

Yeah, my numbers are not at their peak! It's a combination of not checking my machine for a few days, forgetting that I had turned off folding to play a game, or watch a TV show, or random freeze-ups that halt folding activity. The recent activity on the forum has nudged me to start giving more attention to my system and make sure that I'm maximizing my PPD.

crwlngkngsnk, my time in Madagascar was amazing! Though, not always fun due to some weather conditions, insects and general living conditions in camp. But the image of a 6'3", 275+ lb former college offensive lineman bumbling through the jungle following animals certainly is funny, and not elegant in the least! The animals we 'wrangled', we were actually just following them collecting behavior data every 5 minutes, and fecal samples (when the opportunity presented itself). The animals had the advantage of being able to leap from branch to branch, while we had to crawl through thick brush, up hills and around obstacles. Often we would lose the group, which meant that we lost the data for those time periods, and had to find out where they went. When we found them, they would invariably be sitting in a tree eating, or grooming themselves, looking down at us, and I'm sure judging our clumsiness as we arrived out of breath.

Every year in class I give a presentation on the ecology of the forest where we studied, and from what I can tell, students seem to enjoy it. I think that it may give them the opportunity to see themselves in a role that they had very little context for and hadn't considered before. This is always exciting for me.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:34 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

LemurWrangler wrote:
The recent activity on the forum has nudged me to start giving more attention to my system and make sure that I'm maximizing my PPD.

Glad we could help :) Even if you can't fold full tilt all the time, just being around here to keep others motivated can help. I know I have been gone for a LONG time, but even when I stop folding for the summer, I will try and stay around here.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:20 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Nice to see the forums much more lively than they have been the past year or two!

Nice to meet you Wrangler. I have a reverence for science and all it's promoters and players. Looks like you contribute more than your fair share to the endeavor and I wish you well for it 8) My brother is a science teacher in San Francisco (earth science, iirc), so I know the difficulties that can come with the profession, though not quite first hand. I think that your life sounds full of awesome! Great to hear from you!

Thanks much!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:05 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Hey this is pretty cool. I'm in NW Indiana, LemurWrangler looks like Chicago, Gero1369 Wisconsin and Full_Taoer somewhere in Indiana. Nice bunch of mid-westerners. How about you R3D? Anywhere between the Tigris and Euphrates?

Last edited by crwlngkngsnk on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:01 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

crwlngkngsnk wrote:
Hey this is pretty cool. I'm in NW Indiana, LemurWrangler looks like Chicago, Gero1369 Wisconsin and Full_Taoer somwehre in Indiana. Nice bunch of mid-westerners. How about you R3D? Anywhere between the Tigris and Euphrates?

I noticed Chicago too. I am about an hour 45 mins west of Chicago.