Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: I'm gettin that itch!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:22 am 

Just going to throw this in here as a curve ball, cpu folding is still viable at the higher end - especially with all the current work on avx cores. I'm not advocating a 4p build as at this point they are overkill for smp and BA only has 9 months left

Dual LGA 2011 mobo - they come in ATX and EATX so getting a case is quite easy, dual IvY -E cpu and ram. Use the bay for CPU's and don't be afraid to look at Extra Spicy processors, late steppings work as well as retail and cost a lot less. Mine currently get 470k PPD and pull 278w from the wall, even on SMP I get 200k PPD - dual 12 core at 2.4, total cost £1,300

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:13 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I'd go with two PSUs. You can get a really nice Gold or Platinum rated 700-800 W PSU for around $100 or so. PSU splitter/power switch cables are available for around $15 (I have one and used it for a while). Good budget friendly way to go. Not ideal, but if you lose a GPU for a while for some reason, it's easier to yank the cable or entire PSU too. Just a thought. I haven't priced 1200+W PSUs for a bit, but iirc, quality ones were easily $300-500 or so. I'm sure that they've come down a little, but I don't think much.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:26 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Nathan_P thanks for the curve ball! Certainly have me thinking... I'll do a little snooping around to see what I can find. And, the PPD/watt numbers certainly look favorable. Thanks for the idea!

Gero1369, I was looking at this 1300W EVGA power supply for $229. It is Gold rated and has a 10 year warranty, and from what I've seen in the reviews, EVGA responds very quickly and professionally to customer feedback. This gives me confidence about the 'what if...' scenarios around a single power supply this large and powerful. The only question I have is why is this unit up to $100 less than a comparable psu from Enermax, Thermalake or Antec? I see that there are differences between the Platinum and Gold rating, as well as the number of +12V rails, and the total number of PCI-Express connectors, but those differences do not seem to be significant to the build that I'm planning. The only difference that may seem to have an impact is the number of PCIe connectors if I decide to add a 4th card to my original build some day.

But, I'm still curious about how to set up a system that uses two power supplies and the power supply splitter.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:17 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Spoiler: show

^ This ^

What it does is turn on both PSUs at the same time when the power button is pressed (or, more correctly, when the Mobo sends a signal to the PSU(s) to turn on). One end plugs into the Mobo, and the other ends plug into the main and secondary PSUs. It works well if one would want to run a leaner machine in summer and a bit more in winter or whatever other reason you could come up with for having multiple PSUs. Like I said, I did it for a while when I didn't have a big enough PSU for my total hardware. I rested the second PSU on top of my machine with the main one inside of the machine.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:18 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Hey LemurWrangler, it's June-ish. Still itching? I just scratched with a 750 Ti, but that's just a skeeter bite, I want to see you blast this case of hives with a whole bottle of Calamine. Oh, also, I was wondering, what was your major when you went on your wrangling expedition? I'm really pulling for Anthropology.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:58 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

...Like you can't believe! School year closed out, and we're planning for what the summer will look like, but stay tuned for sure! If the project is going to fly, err fold, err get off the ground, I should be laying out the blue prints to be scrutinized in the next few days.

Had just graduated with a degree in Biological Sciences. We were studying the effects of habitat fragmentation and behavioral plasticity. Basically, collecting data to develop models on the 'flexibility' of one species to the change in response to its once continuous forest habitat getting chopped up into smaller, discontinuous pieces that are separated by non-forested areas. The project leader was a PhD candidate at the time, collecting data for his dissertation in Evolutionary Biology. ...I was just the dumb grunt, schlepping through the forest, writing down what I saw.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:54 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Glad to hear the project hasn't folded, but will Fold. Man, that those three months off must be great. That sounds like interesting research, it makes me think of the South American rain forest where logging and agriculture cut swaths through, causing similar fragmentation. Biology and Zoology were my next choices, behind Anthropology. It's too bad that Maxwell is getting pushed back, I can't wait to see what the new architecture will be like on the smaller process, even more power efficient and cool, amazing. Of course, if the can't work out the Folding issues then it won't be nearly as exciting. Looking forward to updates on your build.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:40 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

snk, totally on point with the South American rainforest... Get to the Amazon soon and check out the majesty! Absolutely amazing :!:

Yeah, I'm not complaining about the summer :mrgreen: ...I'm usually pretty busy, but I certainly value the choice of how to spend my time. This summer will be focused on curriculum design and re-design. Next year I'm teaching a course called Theory of Knowledge. It's a 2-year course where we ask the question, "How do you know what you know, and what is your justification?" through the lens of different content and context. We just finished up the 1st year of it this year (so I will do some major tweaking to things this summer for next year) and we will be starting the first cohort of year 2 students. The course is a blast to teach, and my students are fantastic! Starting every day with 24 nerds who are enthusiastically curious about the world and its splendors is pretty great!

Not to mention I'm redesigning my AP Biology course this summer, too.

OH, and hopefully pulling down some major PPD... (hint, hint... check the building forum)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:48 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Very cool! Your Theory of Knowledge course sounds awesome. Right up my alley ;) I'd imagine that you touch on a lot of physics, metaphysics, philosophy, psychology, and the like. Excellent! I can only imagine the great conversations and insights that everyone involved must have from time to time. Way to teach people!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:39 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Thanks! Yeah, it's a combination of current events meets critical thinking all thrown into a 'philosophy-lite' sort of class. This is the only course 'text book'that I use. I have some reference books that I use to design lessons, but I like to keep it as current and fresh, and not get too bogged down in the structure of a formal class text. We break the course into ways of knowing (perception, reason, memory...) and areas of knowledge (math, art, history, natural science...). Then based on lots of different sources and materials engage in discussions, activities and student generated presentations (3-30 min long).

One of my favorite discussions this year was in our Human Sciences (psychology, econ, sociology...) unit. We were talking about measurement and validity/reliability. Over a few days I introduced this story about measuring/quantifying psychopathy and we discussed its implications, as well as this scenario about the eligibility of a convict to receive the death penalty based on their IQ. The students handled these very mature topics exceptionally well, and fully impressed me with the wisdom they spoke. Yeah... it's a great job:)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:01 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Man, I would have loved to have an epistemology course in high school. That looks like an interesting text there, whaddya got, metaphysics and ethics? Critical thinking and examination of one's beliefs. What do you know? How do you know it? How do you know that you know it? Is it true? How do you know that it's true? How do you know that something can be true? That's a real education.
How I miss the misspent days of my wayward youth, with no one to guide me but Ken Kesey, Jack Kerouac, Jim Morrison, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Timothy Leary.
I was one of those students that teachers both marvel at and weep for. Vast intelligence, no focus, no drive, angry, rebellious, undisciplined. In short, a slacker. Would that intelligence equals wisdom, alas it does not, only too late did I truly learn the distinction. This screed will soon take a melancholic and maudlin turn, I had best quit now.

As an aside, I love WBEZ.
Hmm, pleased and a little surprised, I thought I would score higher on that psychopathy test.