Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Slower folding when display is off
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:18 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Most WUs I get for my GPU seem to get me 80k+ ppd as shown by the folding program. The average TPF is sub 10 mins. The odd thing is, when I come to my PC after work or when I wake up, my PPD estimate is more like 50k with a TPF around 15mins! If I wait a few mins, it tends to jump back to normal.

Now this is counter-intuitive to me, but could my gpu slow down when my PC turns off the display to save power? I would think if anything, not rendering the image would free up more power and speed it up, but it is always lower when I look at it after a few hours... Has anyone else noticed this, or heard of it elsewhere?

Today I will turn my "turn off monitor" setting way up, probably to "never" and see what my ppd looks like when I get home, and watch it on EOC over the next couple days, maybe it will help, but again, it seems backwards to me.

Post subject: Re: Slower folding when display is off
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:22 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Is this a Radeon card? Because it might be something to do with their way of idling if the card detects the monitor's been off for a while.

If you're on Windows, also make sure all the PCI-Express related power settings are set to maximum performance.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:41 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Yeah, it's got to be something with your power settings on the computer or the card.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:38 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

LatiosXT wrote:
Is this a Radeon card? Because it might be something to do with their way of idling if the card detects the monitor's been off for a while.

If you're on Windows, also make sure all the PCI-Express related power settings are set to maximum performance.

Yes, R9 270x. As I said I've turned it to never power down monitor now, I always do it myself when I get up anyways. Hopefully this helps.

I have the power profiles on performance already, I dont need any slow down with a desktop, but I've not seen any settings specifically for PCI-E... do you know where to find these settings?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:42 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If you go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings -> Change Advanced Power Settings -> Click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable" and go to PCI-Express -> Link State Power Management, make sure it's on Maximum Performance.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:56 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Thank you! I came home today with my monitor on (as far as the pc knew, although i turned it off physically) and my PPD was at a higher than normal 90k ish for just the gpu! I did look at the PCI-E settings and it was on medium power savings, and I turned that off, so maybe there is more boost to be had, but I think its getting the juice it needs now that it thinks it's always on.