Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Way to request older WUs?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:48 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
I've got an HP Touchsmart IQ506. GPU is an Nvidia GeForce9300M GS. F@H gets assigned Core 15 WUs, but it never finishes in time. I've stopped GPU folding on this machine because the Work Units would time out. When installing the drivers I had to tell the Nvidia driver install program that it was a desktop GPU, I don't know if this is the problem or what. How does F@H determine what GPU you are using? Hardware ID or...?

Anyways, I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to tell or trick F@H into giving me older Core11 WUs. (Yes, they're still out there, my 24/7 folder has a 9600GSO and does all Core11). Is there a configuration file I can edit so the Folding servers think it's a different GPU, or is there a way (like a flag or something) to request older or specific Work Units?

I usually try to figure stuff out for myself, but I haven't had any luck finding what I'm looking for across the Interwebz, so any help (answers, location of answers, new hardware :wink: ) would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Way to request older WUs?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:28 am 
Klamath
Klamath

FAH puts blocks in place to prevent tricks to protect the accuracy and validity of the science.

The FAH client does hardware detection, so no luck faking that either.

And no setting options if running V7.

If you run a V6 client, you could try the "-forcegpu nvidia_g80_1.0" flag. It's a little know flag to get work units that don't support the latest compute version (1.1). Normally, you would use "-forcegpu nvidia_g80"

And I have no idea if they accept that setting any more (no WUs available for download), but worth a shot.

Of course, if this works, it only lasts until the core_11 WUs run out. It went end of life as previously announced on the FAH news blog.

So plan for an eventual GPU upgrade to keep folding... 8)

Post subject: Re: Way to request older WUs?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:27 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Thanks for the response 7im. What manner of man are you that can summon up fire without flint or tinder? I did try the force GPU, didn't realize it wouldn't work in the V7 client. It was an auxilliary folder, anyways. I've since upgraded the GPU in one of my two main folders and the CPUs in the other. Even if I could get the one working the way I wanted to it probably wouldn't be worth it. I appreciate your time in responding , though. I've read quite a few of your posts over at your other stomping grounds, always good stuff. Don't be a stranger over here at MaxPC.