Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Linux
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:18 am 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

I have put together another computer from spare parts. i5-760 with a GtX470 video card. It would just be used for folding right now so I wanted to put Linux on it because it is free. But I have know idea what version to get, where to get it, how to install it, how to set it up. So if anyone out there can send me to a web page that you have used or know has the info I need I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

E

Post subject: Re: Linux
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:56 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Are you talking about which f@h client or which linux distro to use?

You can install the software from here:

http://folding.stanford.edu/home/the-software/

If you got debian linux like ubunutu , then get the client and control

fahclient_7.3.6_amd64.deb
fahcontrol_7.3.6-1_all.deb
fahviewer_7.3.6_amd64.deb

I'm pretty sure you can't run a gpu with the v6 client so you need v7.

Here is the install guide after you downloaded the files. Actually, go read the install guide first, they'll give you the link to download page:

http://folding.stanford.edu/home/guide/ ... all-guide/

I think that Stanford messed up their web design, probably in the name of mass appeal. Nothing is intuitive.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:35 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

Linux OS is what I am looking for.

I wanted to put Linux on it because it is free. But I have know idea what version to get, where to get it, how to install it, how to set it up. So if anyone out there can send me to a web page that you have used or know has the info I need I would appreciate it.

I have no need for a folding client because I have no OS yet that is what I need help with. Getting a working OS is FIRST then finding a folding & home client hopefully will work next.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:55 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Ubuntu is the most popular/widespread distro, Mint is also easy as a first Linux. I'm no Linux expert by far, but I have used both of these a little. Both have large and helpful communities (especially Ubuntu).

http://www.ubuntu.com/index_asus.html

http://www.linuxmint.com/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:49 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Sorry I didn't get that, E. It wasn't clear what you were looking for.

So, I guess you're new to linux? You should check out Ubuntu or Mint. I'm using Ubuntu on my folding machine since it also doubles as the home pc. It pretty easy to get going and like crwlngkngsnk said, it has a large support community. I'm also using Mint and I guess the main difference is the user interface. It's set up to look a bit like Windows.

Now with ubuntu, they use a different user interface called Unity, which had as much resistance from the community as the Windows 8 rollout. I had to install a different user environment to make it look like how it used to be before Unity. In that case, I'm going to have to recommend Mint for you. Mint is based on Debian just like Ubuntu so things are done pretty much the same way.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:24 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

Well the install went well I think...but the computer freezes up on me. Should I get the linux drivers for the mother board? it was working fine with win 7??

most noted is the mouse and keyboard stop responding?

I downloaded a F&H client and it wants a authenticate code....??

Bottom line is the computer does not lock-up but sooner or latter the key board and mouse just stop working.

Little help if anyone gets a chance...Thank you.

E

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:26 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Slow down E. Which linux did you install? Let's see if you can get things running without a videocard installed.

If you get everything running stable, then try to get f@h running. Which F@H did you download? I hope you're following the directions you got on the link above.

Give us your full specs for the machine, mobo and such.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:47 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

phillyj wrote:
Slow down E. Which linux did you install? Let's see if you can get things running without a videocard installed.

If you get everything running stable, then try to get f@h running. Which F@H did you download? I hope you're following the directions you got on the link above.

Give us your full specs for the machine, mobo and such.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P7P55D ... cations.... .motherboard
http://www.corsair.com/cmv4gx3m2a1333c9.html... .RAM
http://ark.Intel.com/products/48496/..... CPU
http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/ENGTX4702DI1280MD5/ #specifications
http://www.ubuntu.com/download.... version of Linux

The client I used is the one you recommended http://folding.stanford.edu/home/the-software/
I am using a HP key board...generic mouse.....

I have two other video cards that can be used if the gtx470 is the issue..
7600GT OC
or
radeon 9600XT

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:33 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I am not sure how the hardware is causing you trouble. Which ubuntu, again? Your link doesn't work.

You said you have no stability issues except that the keyboard/mouse stop working after a time? Is it ps/2? Have you tried another one to see if you have the same problems?

I assume you installed with a live disk. Sorry, I'm just wondering out loud as to how I would solve this. I'm only an intermediate user and not ready to fully trouble shoot. You should google the issue or get help from the folks on IRC (freenode channel, #ubuntu) or go ask at ubuntuforums or similar. At least that's what I do when I have issues.

Lastly, I am not sure what you mean when you say that fah asked you to authenticate code? If you have downloaded the .deb files, double-clicking them should make it open with Synaptic Manager and it will give you the option to install. It will ask you to put in your password to your machine (it needs root access to install).

Edit: Nvidia is the best for linux, imo. AMD drivers are not the best. I think ubuntu will give you the option to use the native ubuntu driver but they strongly recommend you select the Nvidia driver.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:44 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

Looks like I got it installed correctly but I cant get it to dl a WU. When I start it it does not show any of the info I put in like name, team, it still shows anonymous.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:03 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Don't you have FAHcontrol installed? You should be able to change all those through it. It's just like in Windows. You should be able to find the FahControl, fahviewer in your "start" button under "Education".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:31 am 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

phillyj wrote:
Don't you have FAHcontrol installed? You should be able to change all those through it. It's just like in Windows. You should be able to find the FahControl, fahviewer in your "start" button under "Education".

I can start FahControl but from what I have read the Client is not running, even though I had the box for it to start in auto checked when I installed it. Unfortunately the install instructions are different then the Version of Linux I have so things are not exactly the same. And with me having no clue in Linux how to even start a program I will need to do some more tinkering around to get more familiar with it.

I am also still having random lock-ups. I thought it had to do with keyboard but I have changed that out and it still happens. As far as I can tell Linux tells me that the correct driver is installed for GTX470 too. I am pretty sure the hardware is good but my need to do some troubleshooting on it.

Won't have much time to play with it until after Thanksgiving. Thanks for the help.

E

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:04 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Oh, I see. I guess when you installed the FAHclient, you did not select the option to autostart. You can change that by adding the option (flags, I think they're called) "pause-on-start" with a value of "False". I think this is done the same way you do it in Windows. This would start up the client and you can now use FAHcontrol.

This is a good guide. I will be reading this too; very useful:

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=22657

I'm not sure about you other Linux problems. It'll take some time to figure it out.

Ok, see you after thanksgiving.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:39 am 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

I got the CPU folding now I just need to get the GPU going. I added the slot but its status is paused:ideal

I think I read somewhere that you should leave one core of the CPU for the GPU does this sound correct to anyone?

I guess I need to do some more research but if anyone has a quick idea let me know.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:14 am 
Team Member
Team Member

EasyE wrote:
I got the CPU folding now I just need to get the GPU going. I added the slot but its status is paused:ideal

I think I read somewhere that you should leave one core of the CPU for the GPU does this sound correct to anyone?

I guess I need to do some more research but if anyone has a quick idea let me know.

Thanks

If you have a multi core CPU, then it will still fold on the GPU if you have the default CPU status to "-1", that is, "let the client decide" option.

Did you do as I said and edit the GPU slot options to add the flag "client-type" with the value of "beta"?

EDIT: I'm not sure what the "pause:ideal" status means. What does it say in your log when the GPU client starts up?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:13 am 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

The reason the GPU did not fold is because the folding power slide bar was on medium. When I moved it to full not only did it start of the 4 core it started the GPU also. GPU is still not folding but in the log file it says "failed to get assignment from assign-GPU.stanford.edu.8080': Empty work server assignment.

I'll just wait a little and see if something shows up....The status of the GPU is "ready" now. Put the work server and collection server have 0.0.0.0 ??

E

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:14 am 
Team Member
Team Member

E, did you even read my posts? Did you set the flags like I said?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:32 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

phillyj wrote:
E, did you even read my posts? Did you set the flags like I said?

Yes I did phillyj, ...thank you No I did not set the flags like you said.

I have tried a lot of things, thanks for the help. When I do try the flags I will let you know if it works or not.

Take it easy

E

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:24 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

phillyj wrote:
EasyE wrote:

Thanks

If you have a multi core CPU, then it will still fold on the GPU if you have the default CPU status to "-1", that is, "let the client decide" option.

Did you do as I said and edit the GPU slot options to add the flag "client-type" with the value of "beta"?

EDIT: I'm not sure what the "pause:ideal" status means. What does it say in your log when the GPU client starts up?

Thanks for the help Phillyj I found out that "client-type" is correct but the value needed to be "advanced"
Also for it to work for me I needed to drop one core the "CPU -1" did not seem to work but if I gave it a "3" all is good.
I did need to change the GPU driver too.

Everything is folding now.

E

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:04 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Excellent work, E. And welcome to linux folding; the more the merrier. I'm just glad I had some "expertise" I could share.