Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I will return
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:34 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Sorry, I've been quite busy with work, moving around, etc. I stopped folding because F@H was doubling my power bill among other things.

So now I think I've settled down I can resume folding. I have a gaming laptop that doesn't really get any use, so I will probably start with that. I had a decent GPU as well, so I can probably use that as well. Next, when I return to the US, I will start my Mac Pro back up for folding. It should have no issues doing bigadv units and had been doing in the past. Alternatively I may built another dedicated folder using AMD processors since the Opterons seem quite cheap these days.

I have not really kept up with parts these days as I use mostly Macs now (except my gaming and work laptop).

What's the performance delta between AMD [Opteron] and Intel [Xeon] processors these days in multi-socket configurations? I'm eyeing the Ivy Bridge EP processors and numbers looks really good on them, but they are also very expensive.

Anyways I look forward to contributing again and hopefully we can get back to overtaking folks.

Post subject: Re: I will return
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:41 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

From my limited research (today, basically) it would seem that your best bang for buck is the most of the most powerful GPUs you can stomach to power and for the most part forgetting a CPU rig with the intent of PPD unless you are looking at at least 16 available cores to take advantage of advanced workunits that pay heavy. I am still looking into myself and would love to hear you throughts... right now I am leaning towards an LGA 2011 single socket and a tri sli gtx 780 rig.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:03 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Also worth noting that I am pretty sure that cores should be updated to thread but I am still trying to sort that out

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:15 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Okay, I just set up my gaming laptop to do some folding. Currently set at full usage.

I see the client has changed quite a bit. Now it's all running from IE.

Or maybe I just never used Windows to fold before.

Anyways, it looks pretty neat and easy to use.

I found the advantage of a gaming laptop is that it doesn't really use much power, can fold like a mofo, and doesn't really produce any fan noise (since it's so thick).

First WU should be done in 13 hours according to the client.