Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: v7.3 gpu folding
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:07 pm 
Folding Master (Top-ranked)
Folding Master (Top-ranked)

I have a new gtx 660 and though I don't like it I have v7.3.6 installed and added the gpu client but it says paused: waiting for idle What do I have to do I am unfamiliar with v7

Post subject: Re: v7.3 gpu folding
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:30 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

We had the same issue. At the top part of the window move the slider from 'Medium' to 'Full.'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:19 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I'm guessing they defaulted to not using GPU folding for machines that aren't idle because of OSes using GPU acceleration and the potential to interfere with games if GPU folding isn't suspended. BUT by changing the default behavior from previous v7 versions, they've added one more thing we have to tweak to fold as hard as we want to :-/

I also installed 7.3.6, hoping it would fix the bug where it identifies GPUs incorrectly so it appears my GT 430 is getting 18k PPD (the flip side of that being it reporting my 650 Ti getting 6k...), but it doesn't.

I don't really care for the new web interface, and considering they haven't fixed this problem that many of us have already encountered, I wish I could just roll back to 7.2.9 before the web interface was introduced. Has anyone found an FTP server or something (they made a huge change to the download pages on the FAH site, and 'older versions' only has v6) with the intermediate v7 beta versions, or found a way to install 7.3.6 and excise the web interface part so we can just use FAHControl by default?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:05 am 

For version 7.2.9 try this link. https://fah-web.stanford.edu/file-relea ... 2bit/v7.2/ That's the one I'm running. Others are on there. Good luck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:00 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Woo, thank you!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:57 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: Rest in Peace... Stratplan & Whitecree & Thomasvjones
Yeah - Thanks K_J_V.... I was looking for a copy of that version too.

I feel like it has more of the Folding control I'm used to.

7.3.6 and it's Web interface is more annoying than functional.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:25 pm 
FoldingMonster
FoldingMonster

I'm running version 7.3.4, no real complaints with the interface. Seems like there is much less to do with the client that there used to be, back in the days of QMD units, Electron Microscope monitoring, etc.

I do seem to have a small problem, namely the gpu folding will go to 100% complete, upload, and then go idle until I re-enter my Admin profile (Win 7 64) via password. Card is AMD Radeon HD7700.

The CPU portion of folding seems to keep on going, no matter how long I go between profile "visits". Proc is Phenom II X4 965.

Between the two, I appear to be able to run up to about 10K per day when the GPU folding is active. Unfortunately, it drops to idle enough that I average between 4K and 8K per day (GPU + CPU). This seems rather low to me.

"Folding Power" is set to "full" and I am using a passkey.

What am I missing here?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:32 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Some versions of the fahclient had user permission problems, supposedly fixed in the newest version (haven't personally tested it). May be why GPU slot is prompting...

You can also edit the desktop FAH icon so it does not launch the web control page by default. Just remove the "--open-web-control" switch. Then use the tray icon to launch whatever gui you prefer. No need to run an older version. Web Control was put in to allow everyone to get up and running quickly, even newbs. Power users like yourselves are expected to customize as you wish. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:59 pm 
FoldingMonster
FoldingMonster

Hey 7im,

Thanks for jumping in - I've got the client set-up in my START folder so that it fires up when I log in - I should probably set it up as a service and see if that changes things.

The string as it appears in the START folder: "C:\Program Files (x86)\FAHClient\HideConsole.exe" C:\Program Files (x86)\FAHClient\FAHClient.exe

No tags.

When I open the interface from the start menu, it uses the following string: "C:\Program Files (x86)\FAHClient\FAHControl.exe"

I pretty much ignore the desktop icon.

Did I miss anything?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:42 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I don't think you missed anything. Correct, the Start Menu shortcut doesn't have any switches, while the desktop one does. Just pointing that out as an option.

Try installing v7.3.6 over the top of v7.3.4 to fix the permissions issue, hopefully. If not, you can always try setting the program to run in administrator mode.

Skip the service install, doesn't work with GPU slots in Win Vista and newer. New MS Security "feature."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:56 am 
FoldingMonster
FoldingMonster

Hi 7im,

I tried installing v7.3.6 over v7.3.4, but I believe I goofed it up somehow. Sorry that's not a particularly helpful description of what happened ("goofed it up"), but it was a late night try and I was perhaps too fuzzy-headed to have been trying it. I do recall that it appeared to have lost all my particular settings, including who I was. Again, sorry I didn't pay closer attention - I'll give it another go and keep track of what actually happens and report back.

I do have it running on the administrator account (no longer different that my main account in Win7 as it was in XP), but I'm guessing that's not running in administrator mode? I'm not familiar with that particular setting - does it exist in v7.3.4 ?

Thanks for the help!

M1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:56 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Is the GUI any less awkward than the previous versions?

I'm still using v6 console client, because when I tried v7 I hated the fact that I had to click a dozen times to do what I could with a single line command in console.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned. I know that console/command line has a higher learning curve, but once you learn it, it's much faster to manipulate and (IMO) easier to see what is wrong when there's a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:42 pm 
FoldingMonster
FoldingMonster

I folded via console for so long in years gone by that I can't remember the GUI version well enough to make an informed comment...

Let's just say that I miss the console.... :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:06 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

bbies1973 wrote:

I'm still using v6 console client, because when I tried v7 I hated the fact that I had to click a dozen times to do what I could with a single line command in console.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned. I know that console/command line has a higher learning curve, but once you learn it, it's much faster to manipulate and (IMO) easier to see what is wrong when there's a problem.

I just started up folding again a month ago and was looking for the usual command line, or VM ware installs but now, you just install v7 and that's it. You don't have to install the two different programs for smp and gpu. It detects everything that can fold, you move the slider bar to full and you're done. It's not nearly as fun but it is really simple.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:38 am 
Klamath
Klamath

bbies1973 wrote:

They have simplified the main screen. The configuration still has several tabs of info like before. The thing is, even if it takes a few extra clicks, once it is setup, you never have to mess with it again. It just sits in the system tray running 24/7. And like mentioned above, the installation for V7 was designed to be newb friendly, so any old hats like you guys should be able to handle it. ;) Nothing else needs tweaking, unless you run a 4P box and have to add the "bigadv" setting. Or like this new core_17 gpu with the "advanced" setting.

And the pictorial install guide and configuration guide are stupid simple to follow as well.
http://folding.stanford.edu/home/guide/windows-install-guide/
http://folding.stanford.edu/home/guide/configuration-guide/