Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Howdie gang!
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:53 am 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

Hello monkeys and 'sicles!

Been quite a while. I just wanted to stop in and say howdie. I'm going to fold a few WU's on a new gpu, a 650 ti, and see what the temps/power consumption rates are. I was folding for 11108 from multiple boxes running multiple gpu(9XXX and 200 series nvidia)/smp clients a couple years ago. I got up to netting about 35~45K PPD. Along with a large electricity bill and the heat I halted folding hoping more economical ways of contributing became possible.

I watched the 4XX/5XX fermi series gpu's come and go and kept out of the loop for quite a while.

Anyways, I just installed the new F@H client (which by the way is WAY different than I'm used to) and am running a work unit 8071 on the 650 ti. So far it's netting 18K ppd on it's first work unit. The old Q9550 is also working on a SMP. Not expecting much out of her but...

I'm also expecting a HD7850 with dual fans in a couple days. One, either the 650 ti or the 7850, is going to be returned to the vender. Does anyone have any idea which might fold better? I'm leaning toward keeping the 7850 for gaming, etc. but I'll wait to see how well it folds.

One last thing: the 650 ti came with 768 cuda cores but unlike the 9XXX/2XX series cards I used to run they are clock-locked to the gpu clock speed (not double like they used to be). Darn. But it's been running for about 30 minutes and maintaining a temperature of 52 degrees Celsius at 100% folding load. What a huge difference from my older cards!

So, hello all! Hope you all are doing well. It sure was fun around here. Thank you original members (the old folks, you know who you are) for making this forum a riot back in the day. I know it's been a lull around here as of late with the passing of friends and time. If there's one thing memories of things like this place unveil is that the goods things in life are usually taken for granted when we're experiencing them. The real value of everything is perceived more perfectly with the passing of time.

Bla bla bla. I know.

It's just I want to let the folks who contributed so much here know that it is appreciated and remembered.

Take care!

Post subject: Re: Howdie gang!
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:06 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

Sup brew.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:07 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Hey DD. How's life?

Folding on your radeon card won't be good unless you use the beta flag (to get the core 17 units). Core 17 may be out of beta now, so I may be wrong, I don't check that often. As far as PPD numbers on a radeon card, that, I can't say.

I can speak to the PPD on the 650 Ti as I have one. I get 20-25k PPD on mine (OC'd, of course). The temps pretty much never get above 54 C or so and that's with another card in my machine too. Rumors point to getting even more PPD on all cards in the near future, but we'll see on that (seems a persistant rumor anyways). iirc, my OC is something like +134 or 1134 MHz (i forget which). The 1134 MHz figure is on par with a quick look on the internets for OC results.

Nice to see you back. Always good to see some new or refreshed blood :lol:

It has been kinda dead around here lately, but hopefully with summer, things will liven up a bit. :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:16 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Hey dd, nice to 'e-Meet' ya! I'm probably new here since the last time you were around, it sounds like. I've managed to get myself up to the 30k range again now on a machine that stays on 24/7 anyway, but if it wasn't in my nice cool basement I probably wouldn't even be able to do that, so I know what you mean!

I've also got a 650 Ti and echo Gero1369's notes about that probably being the better folder (right now, anyway. all bets are off whenever the new OpenCL core goes mainstream, and/or they actually pull the trigger and implement quick return bonuses for GPU WUs). I have mine overclocked much milder (to around 1019MHz I believe, and get around 17k on it in a box with another GPU folding and also doing SMP on an overclocked Q9300). My temps on that card are also mid 50s and the case has limited airflow so I didn't want to push it any more than that...yet

Do you have the Q9550 overclocked? Before I had to retrofit mine into another (non-folding) machine, I believe I once got close to 8-10k PPD on it (without any GPU folding taking extra CPU cycles, though)

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:03 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

Hello AliusBU. You're correct. I haven't posted anything in here in quite some time. Nice to meet you too!
The basement is a great place to set up the folders. G-man and others had pictures posted with shelving in their basements.
All of ours was in my wife's and my bedroom that doubles as the office area. The rest of the house is full of kids.

The Q9550 has been running @ 3.4GHz 1.12v for years. On tuesday I folded one SMP unit with it while trying out the 650ti. The folding control window showed the old CPU still has about 9k ppd of potential and the 650ti at 980mhz was at 17.5k ppd. I only folded one work unit on the CPU. Using my old passkey that hasn't been used in about 2 1/2 years I received no bonus hence the one WU showing 1868 points.

The 7850 came in the mail yesterday and I shut down folding for now to run some benchmarks. Initially when I ran the FC2 benchmark @ 1680X1050, no AA, the 650ti @ 980mhz got 101.5 fps. The 7850 received 102 fps. I was perplexed. I thought that maybe the Q9550 was bottle necking the 7850. Then I cranked up the AA and the 7850 was way faster.

I ran the Unigine Heaven v4 benchmark, first with no AA, then X4 AA, then X8 AA on optimal, normal tessellation and the 7850 was way out in front of the 650ti ( and both put the old 9800GTX to shame). The 9800GTX+ SSC at 756mhz at X8 AA cranked out a whopping 5.7 fps. :oops: I think for now I'll keep the 7850 in my main box for gaming. I really need someone to talk me into not sending the 650ti back to NEgg and fold it in another box, hint, hint. :idea:

Does anyone know when the ATi/AMD Radeon cards are supposed to be fully supported by F@H? I recall a couple years ago they were talking like it was right around the corner. Guess they weren't.

Anyways, really nice to meet you. Look forward to posting more and lurking less. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:29 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

Just posted some results from the 9800GTX+/GTX650ti/HD7850 battle over in the old "Video Card Valley" section.
LINK

Thanks LatiosXT, Satchboy, and g.m.waters (red ranger3) for your replies over there!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:05 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

ddforrester wrote:
The Q9550 has been running @ 3.4GHz 1.12v for years.

That's what I had my Q9550 at when it was my 'daily driver' also, I think the 45nm quads have pretty long legs despite how much improvement Intel has made lately with Sandy/Ivy/etc.

ddforrester wrote:
I really need someone to talk me into not sending the 650ti back to NEgg and fold it in another box, hint, hint. :idea:

I got my 650Ti originally for some gaming but now it's back to pure folding, where I get the bulk of my points from actually. Holds a decent OC and stays cool and runs stable. But that's up to you whether you can truly justify hanging onto it :)
ddforrester wrote:
Does anyone know when the ATi/AMD Radeon cards are supposed to be fully supported by F@H? I recall a couple years ago they were talking like it was right around the corner. Guess they weren't.

They did come out with a core that is better for AMD GPU folding, but it's still not as good as nvidia. If you want more gory details, I posted a reply about it here a while back.
ddforrester wrote:
Anyways, really nice to meet you. Look forward to posting more and lurking less. :wink:

You too! And I'm always lurking, I seem to post/reply for a spell and then retreat into my hole. I must be on a cycle like the cicadas

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:54 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I recently got a 660 Ti, put a slight OC on it thus far, and it's showing 52-55k PPD with both HFM and F@H v7 on some units (mainly 7663 units). I don't think that I've gotten those units for an entire day, so I'm not sure how accurate the points are. I'm pretty sure that I still have the beta flag, so that is likely the reason. my 650 Ti is showing around 22-25k PPD on those and a bit less on most other units. If you could swing it, I'd say go for a 660 Ti. I bought mine from someone else, so I got a really good deal, but I've seen some really nice ones for around $230 after discounts & rebates and stuff (Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI. All factory OC'd).

Something to think about. The PPD/Watt on the 660 Ti is pretty nice, even compared to the 650 Ti. I'd think that the gaming on the 660 Ti is pretty nice too from what I've seen.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:53 am 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

Thanks for sharing your info Gero.

I got some arm twisting in another forum and decided to keep both GPUs. Now that I've mailed in the rebates along with the UPCs from the retail boxes I have no choice now, eh?

Well, I've replaced the thermal compound that came on both the cards with Shin-Etsu G751 paste and now they run super cool. XFX said to disregard the little 'void-if-removed' stickers on the screw heads that hold the cooler to the 7850. They said via a phone conversation that all their cards have them on there but removal and replacement is still allowed in North America. Good thing. The GPU had tons of crappy goo all over the place.

Today it is in the low 50's in Michigan. I'll fold a few work units with a couple CPUs (Q9550 and E3200) and GPUs (7850 and 650ti) and see how they perform. We'll be contributing a bit for 11108 until the air conditioning is needed here above the 43rd degree parallel.

Later folks!

ps. Is anyone here involved with ham radio? I'm interested and have bought a mobile unit to listen in. It's pretty cool. I'm not licensed yet though so not transmitting yet...

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:09 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
there is a thread up in the lounge on ham.