Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: This or That
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:20 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Auto.

With the newer auto transmissions, they're better than manual anyways. I've never driven stick, so I'm likely somewhat biased.

I'm likely about to be in kind-of a pickle, so, for the same price:

Larger house
with: two floors (1800 sqft total), good schools, shorter commute, slightly higher taxes ($17.45 / $1000 assessed value), ...

- or -

Smaller house
with: one floor (appx. <1400 sqft total), a bit better schools, longer commute, slightly lower taxes ($16.85 / $1000 assessed value), ...

decisions, decisions

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:03 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Man, that is a tough one. We all will prioritize things differently. For me, one of the most important factors is School. The education for my kids is huge. Basing my answer on that, I would go with the smaller.

travel spots:

Italy/Rome

or

Brazil

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:23 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

Italy / Rome for me. Want to go before I kick the bucket.

I will give my opinion on Gero1369 post. It would depend on how close I am to retirement and/or my cash flow, and if you are going to stay for over five years. The size of the house is worth consideration if you have or want a big family. More room is good but is it needed? I am sure you have calculated the price of the longer commute and higher taxes. One thing is for sure it will cost more to commute as life goes on. Do what makes the family happy. Because that is what makes a home anyway.

If you could choose:

Blanket TV channels

or

Choose your own

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:37 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Thanks for the advice folks! We ended up not being offered the smaller place, so the larger place is it. We have accepted the counteroffer on the larger place. Closing is about a month and a half away and inspection is this Friday. I'm pretty sure that nothing major will be found during the inspection, then just the wait until the closing.
I'm relatively young and plan on retiring June 30, 2046 (if not earlier), so I have a while to go. Though things will end up being a bit more expensive than we were hoping, we'll make due.

Anyways, back to the subject at hand:

I vote for roll your own TV solution.

I use netflix and barely watch TV anyways, so seems like a good solution. The pick your own channels need to be relatively inexpensive so that the cost of maybe 10-12 would be equivelant to the cost of a normal cable package. I'd guess that 10-12 would cover more than enough needs for most people. I'd really watch only maybe four myself and each other demographic in my house would tack on maybe 2-4 each.

Now your choice:
For you tablet users and/or readers:

Amazon Kindle Fire HD
- or -
A different android based ~7" tablet
- or -
Apple iPad mini

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:06 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Congrats on the house!

My tablet exposure is limited to a Nook Color my wife gave me for Xmas the year before last (somewhat comparable to the Kindles) and an iPad 2nd Gen my stepson's fiance has.

The Nook is good for what it was intended, which is primarily a reader with some web and app capability. I let my print subscription to MaxPC expire and started getting the digital edition. The experience isn't quite the same, obviously, but it is easier to read without turning on extra lights and bothering the wife.

The iPad has a great UI. The camera has nice output for both photos and video. And their App Store is well developed. If you have other Apple products, such as a MacBook or iPhone, they are incredibly easy to get your iTunes and contacts synced between devices. The unfortunate thing about Apple products is the price. For the price of the Mini, you could have a Galaxy Tab 10.1 and some change to spare.

If you intend to mostly read and occasionally surf the web or play games, the Kindle could be a bargain if you choose one without 4G and lower storage capacity. If you want to take pictures/video, go with the iPad Mini or Android-based. With my eyesight growing worse, I would be looking at a larger form factor and would probably go with the Galaxy Tab 10.1. So, other Android-based is my final answer.

Silverware was a topic of conversation during dinner tonight. If you could choose:

3-tine fork

or

4-tine fork

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:51 am 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

4-tine fork better chance of hitting more peas, or corn. Not much of a salad eater unless it is leaf spinach, nice big and thick, wider fork not needed.

If you could own any boat you wanted. What would it be?

Speed Boat

or

Sail Boat

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:43 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Well, if I had to pick one of those options, I'd go for a speed boat, but that's mainly because I haven't had the experience of operating a sail boat first hand. The operation seems pretty simple.

It's kind-of like a car. People love their manual transmissions, but I haven't had the time to learn.

I'd actually choose a pontoon boat. I have been on one and it was fun and relaxing. We brought our food and drink and had a good time just hanging out.

Anyways, in the vein of my current housing situation:

Hire movers

- or -

Move things yourself (including friends helping - in an ideal world where you are physically able to do so [if this is your hang-up])

I'll fill in what I did later.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:50 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

Hire Movers. Worth every penny. You still get to unpack

Hamburger

Pork Chop

In the mood for grilling. If someone wants to say tofu, then you are not allowed to answer.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:48 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I'd have to go with hamburger. Pork chops are OK, but I prefer boneless (or at least ground up so they're 'boneless', :lol: ).

For moving, I kinda did both. For the larger stuff such as dressers, refrigerators, etc., we hired movers. Pretty much everything else, we did ourselves.

I'm pretty sure that this has been covered in general, but here is a new twist:
For gaming (if you're so inclined):

PC
- or -
X-box One (the one with the specs just released)
- or -
PS4 (the new playstation)
- or -
something else (iPod/iPad/iPhone/tablet/handheld/wii/wii-u/other)

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:07 am 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

I think it has to do with genre. Though I am completely biased towards the PC, sport games rock on the 360. But I like control. I think that's why around 1998-99ish I moved my personal gaming preferences from the PS1 gaming scene to PC only. Sure, I've bought gaming systems (Wii, XBox 360, and PS3) for the kiddos but for ultimate and intimate gaming needs the PC is still the king in my book. There's just something about the keyboard/mouse and that alt-tab thing. Plus, I cannot just cruise over to Newegg and buy a better component to stick into a console. But for portability, say, going to someone's house for a get together or an over night at a hotel, consoles obviously have the advantage.

I'd have to say its a TIE!

Why, because it just depends on the venue. My home: PC. Traveling or a group-game: Console.

Reading. Oh the joys of being outside, relaxing in the shade under a tree in your favorite chair on the patio/deck with the favorite refreshments and a warm breeze.

What do you read? (btw: I'd say the MPC mag is little of both, hehehe)

Fiction/Fantasy

-or-

Non-Fiction

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:07 am 
FoldingMonster
FoldingMonster

Oh boy - I started to say fiction, as I love Tom Clancy, but given the state of affairs in the US has me pretty much freaked out these days, I'm almost exclusively non-fict. Gotta stay ahead of Uncle...

OK, summer's approaching (at least the calendar thinks so - it was in the low 50s in Hotlanta last night) -

Favorite swimming location (include Creep Factor in selection explanation, i.e. hate submerged dead trees or Hoffa's corpse, etc, touching your feet; hate sandy crotch, jellyfish, etc):

Beach

- or -

Lake?

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:19 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

As I live in the land of 10,000 lakes... It's gotta be a lake. I'm a fan of the ocean, but if I had equal access to both, freshwater beats out on multiple categories.

Pixar

or

Dream Works

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:37 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

Monster, your question is too funny! Hoffa, lol

Anyway, Pixar, my kids like them better. Gotta like Monsters and Incredibles.

Weed control (observation from my neighborhood today)

Organic (lay in lawn and dig up each weed, use only organic stuff)
or
Dangerous chemicals (my method - stand, spray, be done)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:26 am 
FoldingMonster
FoldingMonster

Heyyyyyyyyyy Roverdu.... uh, Icedude, no wait - heyyyyyyyyyyy Icebergs! Why the name change? Have you ditched the 4x4 in favor of the ultimate in offroading???

Hope this doesn't break the tables...

I gotta get me one of these! ---->>Image

Back to serious matters, I gotta go dangerous chemicals - lotsa lotsa weeds in the Deep South. Lay in the yard pulling weeds too long and the coyotes will come and collect you.

Ok, time to separate the men from the boys......

Extra-hair-above-the-neck preference?

Mullet (long in the back - just google Billy Ray Cyrus or MacGyver Mullet, young'uns).....

- OR -

Duck Dynasty (long in the front - google ZZ Top).......

Personally, I go for the high and tight these days

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:55 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

I'll try to keep this going here... but the flame is petering.

I couldn't subscribe to either... but, with a gun to the head I'd go Duck Top or ZZ Dynasty.

If you had to drive one of these, what one?

or

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:22 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

Monster! Yes, I left for a few years, came back with a name I actually used much longer than Roverdude. Love that vehicle.

And that last one is just Mean. Like asking what finger to cut off, left or right. Throw in a Le Car and you have the triple crown. I would take the chevy, a friend had the Pontiac Blue Bird version. What a POS.

Funny movie:

Naked Gun

or

Blazing Saddles

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:11 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Normally I wont respond until 2 or more have already responded... but I've waited long enough and this is a great question. Not nearly as mean as the previous question.

I will have to go with blazing saddles. Brooks was able to do crazy things that worked... some things I don't think would fly even today.

Lets go with personal/home defense or carry weapon cal.

9mm
or
or

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:17 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Just my personal experience, I went from a Pistol Marksman with the .45 to Pistol Expert with the 9mm. I'd rather get rounds on target than have stopping power that didn't hit. Never shot .40, so it might be a nice middle ground. Like they say, stick with what you know, so 9mm for me.

With all of the NSA news recently, I'm curious how my more tech savvy peers view the revelations.

Protection

or

Intrusion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:33 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
an intrusion, and they sure squeal like little girls when they get caught dont they.

there is an art to shooting a .45, they really aren't accurate much over 25' since the bullet tumbles for more stopping power, but if you shoot low it is pretty accurate, I was an expert with it. but I like the 9 myself for the extra range over the .45. been using a ruger p-85 for years.

BBQ sauce

homemade

commercial

or commercial with your own add ins. I normally add onions, garlic, lemon zest and fresh, and chili peppers. sometimes I use a tsp of orange zest as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:40 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

an intrusion, and they sure squeal like little girls when they get caught dont they.

I go with commercial with add ins. always more garlic, depending on the meat others would be applied. Commercial has a good base but adding your own twist makes it better. At my house we like most bbq with some spice heat.

With that said in a smoker?

BBQ sauce

or

Rub

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next