Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: This or That
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:08 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Station Wagon (Love our Subaru Outback, especially when it comes to tailgating at Northwestern Football games!) That said, I'm not gonna lie and say that I'm not a little bit envious of the extended Chevy Suburban that rolls up with multiple 40" Plasma TVs mounted, a satellite dish, and what appears to be a full professional buffet service for 20+ fans! Just can't quite fit all that into our Silver Stallion!

In keeping with the Wildcat theme...

Seth Meyers

or

Stephen Colbert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:47 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

COLBERT!

Spring or Fall?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:27 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
(I second Colbert)
Spring

Pizza crust:

Thick

-or-

Thin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:42 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

(Colbert for the trifecta!)
Why not both? I enjoy either, as long as it is baked properly. If I'm pressed to pick one or the other, I choose thin.

If this has been asked before, forgive me, but:

cash

or

debit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:31 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Full_Taoer wrote:
(Colbert for the trifecta!)
Why not both? I enjoy either, as long as it is baked properly. If I'm pressed to pick one or the other, I choose thin.

If this has been asked before, forgive me, but:

cash

or

debit

I agree for both pizzas are good, but I would have to choose thick...

Debit for almost everything, Credit if you have control and good rewards, but its always a good idea to keep a little cash for emergencies.

Cake or brownies?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:23 am 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

R3D88 wrote:

Cake or brownies?

That is a conundrum for me...No party no cake.

Brownies win...

Panhandler

Give

or

Don't give

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:57 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Brownies and brats are my favorite foods (I must use ultimate self control at all times to keep my studly :roll: figure!)

As for the panhandler, I say give him some food directly (if you happen to have some) and/or show them where a good shelter is and/or give them a food or local (to the immediate area) grocery store gift certificate. I say everyone deserves a second, third, fourth, or however many chances. Most homeless have some kind of mental issues. Help of some sort is for the greater good (and it typically makes you feel damn good).

Fruits:

Banana
- or -
Apple

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:18 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

I've seen things about beggers who actually have it made pretty well, they are just really good at asking for cash, so they leave home in the most word down thing they have, and go out to ask for money since it actually pays better than many jobs... I usually don't give, you never know if they really need it, or if they will just waste it, but I do give to charities so my money hopefully finds its way to those who truly need it.

BANANNAS! But only if they are alone and bare... Apples have so many good recipes.

For music-

High end stereo system
-OR-
Really nice headphones/earbuds

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:05 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

For my current situation, really nice headphones. It let's me listen without disturbing my wife. I prefer an over-the-ear closed design to muffle ambient noise so I don't have to turn the volume up so loud with high dynamic range music. I used to have a pair of Sony studio monitors that I bought while I was deployed to Okinawa and wound up using them during a stint as a radio DJ. My latest pair of cans is a pair of 1st gen Beats Studio, which I got on clearance for, get this, $62! They were marked at $99 and when I got them to the register they rang up even less to my joy.

Earbuds never feel that comfortable, nor do they stay in place. I've tried numerous models from $8 cheapies to $40 Sonys to $170 Beats, and none of them were very good for an extended listening session.

If it didn't bother my wife, I would listen through my home system. I don't think it truly qualifies as high-end, but it is certainly a step above the run-of-the-mill equipment. My speakers, Cerwin Vega D9s, were bought during my senior year. They are powered by a Carver receiver that I bought after a used Carver separate amp I had crapped out.

Sorry for rambling. I'm a bit of a music/audio nerd.

Now, with Social Security funding in question for the future generations, American workers have to plan for funding their own retirement at least in part, if not completely. So,

-or-

Roth IRA

-or-

Other

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:44 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Well, as a public employee who is not eligible for social security, I have even less faith in our pension system than I had 10+ years ago when I started, so I'll say other (via)...

403b + (at least the capital invested in the pension system :? )

And, to second Full_Taoer's nod to a quality pair of cans. Just picked up a pair of Grado SR80i on the ear headphones, and they work out great when gaming late at night and I don't want to wake my wife, or plugged in to my iPod. But, it's tough to beat the visceral impact from a quality full size HiFi setup. Still planning my upgrade path, but I'm rock'n an Emotivia XPA-5 amp, Emotiva UMC-1 pre/pro, Revox S22 cd player and a pair of Legacy Studio monitors (that I got in college). The speakers are small, but they pack a wollop! Also, got to give props to the folks at Legacy Audio in Springfield, IL. One day in college I drove down to their showroom from Chicago, not realizing that showroom and factory were one in the same. And though I was a young kid who arrived unannounced, they let me listen unattended in their main listening room for 3.5 hours with $30K+ worth of speakers and equipment at my disposal. Then, I got a personal tour of their factory where I could see exactly where their cabinets were hand made and hand finished. Their workmanship is incredible! After that experience, they had a customer for life!

Here it goes....

Reese's peanut butter eggs

-or-

Cadbury creme eggs

-or-

Old-school hard boiled and dyed Easter eggs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:04 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Gotta go with the peanut butter eggs first followed closely by the creme eggs, then hard-boiled eggs.

My opinion on audio headwear/equipment would be over the ear headphones, but they're not easy to find decent ones for cheap. I have some decent Koss (made here in Milwaukee) ones from long, long ago, but the covering around the wrapping that goes around the ears has come off or is coming off (the thin black stuff over the foam; it gets all over). I typically use earbuds. The ones that I use are cheap first, quality second. I'm not much of an audiophile. I just want to hear passable sound for music and/or speech.

Fun console (for a group):

Wii
- or -
X-box
- or -
playstation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:04 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Wii U.

Any other console can be done better on the PC. The Wii U has some awesome experiences no other platform has.

McDonnalds
or
Burger King
or
Wendys

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:08 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Aaah, barf! Which flavor?

I guess, given the options, I'd choose Booger Queen, or Burger King though Wendy's would come in a close second, imho. My kids like chicken nuggets and french fries from McD's, so I usually end up having something as well. My typical as of late has been a burger from the dollar menu or close to it along with a side salad. Decent things can be had at any place really, just have to order atypical things such as salads and the like.

How about Sunday television:

Cosmos
- or -
The Good Wife
- or -
Something Else

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:08 pm 
FoldingMonster
FoldingMonster

Sunday television.........

Currently showing or on break?

If it doesn't matter, then The Walking Dead. I've been a zombie fan since I first saw the 1968 Night Of The Living Dead.

When your favorite author releases a new tome, do you:

Grab the hardback asap

- OR-

Wait for the softcover

-OR-

Hello Kindle!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:04 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

MonsterBuilder wrote:

If it doesn't matter, then The Walking Dead. I've been a zombie fan since I first saw the 1968 Night Of The Living Dead.

Grab the hardback asap

- OR-

Wait for the softcover

-OR-

Hello Kindle!

At one time it would be the hard cover, but I am like Gero1369, I look for a Paperback or Goodwill

not sure if this one has come up.....

Veggies:

Grow your own?

or

Buy from the store?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:15 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

EasyE wrote:
MonsterBuilder wrote:

Grab the hardback asap

- OR-

Wait for the softcover

-OR-

Hello Kindle!

At one time it would be the hard cover, but I am like Gero1369, I look for a Paperback or Goodwill

not sure if this one has come up.....

Veggies:

Grow your own?

or

Buy from the store?

Grow your own - has benefits with no extra chemicals added

Buy from the store - a good farmers market is good but in a hurry, Wal-mart to the rescue

iPod vs. Android? (sorry if it's been asked before but i don't have time to go through 10 pages)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:28 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

TobyKY76 wrote:
Grow your own - has benefits with no extra chemicals added

Buy from the store - a good farmers market is good but in a hurry, Wal-mart to the rescue

iPod vs. Android? (sorry if it's been asked before but i don't have time to go through 10 pages)

Protip: if quoting, delete stuff that you're not replying to :roll: :lol:

For veggies, I agree, grow your own and farmer's market what else you can't grow.

I say Android, but I have to admit that I currently have nearly all Apple stuff (family: two phones, have gone through multiple iPods). I do have a Kindle, but I don't use it as much as I would like. My phone is easier to lug around than a nine inch book (my Kindle is about 9" and the thickness of a 250 pg paperback with the case on). I'd think about rooting it, but sideloading works fine for now.

Fun shit:
I can bake a cake, cookies, and a pie before you can get your buns buttered

- or -

I can do none of the above without help from someone better than I

reasoning: i made some cookies yesterday and it took quite a while and I burned out a hand mixer ( effing POS :evil: )!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:22 pm 
FoldingMonster
FoldingMonster

OK OK OK OK, waaaaaait a minute........ TIME-OUT!

How in the name of Odin's beard does one burn out a hand mixer???

:shock:

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:58 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
cookie dough is pretty heavy, a hand mixer is about a 1/2 horse short on power compared to a real mixer. or the speed was to high for the job.

which brings me to my current bitch, on line news sites. I see them start a discription of an article, and stop short of telling you what the article is really about without clicking into their site. and then not being able to back out of some of the sites with the back button on the mouse.

so does this trend bother you too

or not.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:14 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

MonsterBuilder wrote:
OK OK OK OK, waaaaaait a minute........ TIME-OUT!

How in the name of Odin's beard does one burn out a hand mixer???

:shock:

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a POS like this:
Image - an electric hand mixer.

As for news sites, I don't bother with them much. As to if it bothers me, I guess not. I typically right click and open in a new tab anyways (or ctrl + click). If a story interests me, I'll read it, but I get most of my news from reliable youtube sources and do whatever research I wish elsewhere. Most of the garbage both online and off can barely be considered news anymore anyways. This can easily get me into a rant and/or run off on tangents, so I will stop here.

A new one, hmmmmm:
phone games:

a waste of time, money, talent, etc.
- or -
a great thing for modern society!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next