Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Return to Folding...Somewhat...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:46 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Hey all!

I haven't had time to post lately, work has been really hectic. So, I have a Gateway N55C with a nice P6100 @ 2.0 GHz and 3GB of RAM, running Win 7 32-bit. I want to try folding again, but am not sure how to best utilize my laptop. I don't always have access to internet, but when I do, I can upload results and such, but am at a loss as to how to set things up so it can fold during my shift at work, and upload later. If anyone can offer tips, please let me know. I know my folding has been silent for too long.

Thanks,

Jason

Post subject: Re: Return to Folding...Somewhat...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:31 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Unless something has changed, the FaH client will download a couple WU's to chew on and not just one at a time. Those will be seen in your Queue folder. When it completes a WU it'll try to send it and retrieve another for the queue, but if it can't it'll just go to the next one and keep trying to connect. Once it has an internet connection and tries to send the results again, it'll send out all finished and replenish the queue folders with new work.

With a laptop, it's usually a full day to do a WU isn't it? I would assume even if it's 2 WU's a day, you could be offline for a few days before it ran out of work to do.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:23 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

I am not sure how closely they compare, but my AMD dual core laptop struggles with folding SMP units. It might be better to set up two slots for uniprocessor in the v7 client. That client will only download one WU per slot at a time, but it can be set to download the next one when you reach a certain percentage of completion, from 90% to 100% IIRC.

As Chumly said, if it can't upload, it will still pull down another to chew on. Of course, you have to be connected to the net to download, so the upload will try at the same time. DL is faster than UL, obviously. If you were limited on connect time, it is conceivable you could connect long enough to grab the next one and disconnect before the UL completed, and then allow the UL to complete at another time. I think this would generally be discouraged, but it would keep your machine folding.

If you do go the uniprocessor route, the delay in UL will have little bearing as the timeout and expiration is usually 30 days or longer on those. SMP timeout and expiration are much shorter, around 7 and 14 days respectively. The longer you delay the UL of SMP, the more it cuts into the Quick Return Bonus (QRB).

So, welcome back! Any folding is a help for the program. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:56 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)
Monkey Federation (Top 10)

Welcome back Jason!

Every fold counts, online, offline, by cpu or gpu. We even accept multi-core entertainment folds.
- Unfortunately we have yet to figure out how to upload or accredit points for towel folding, But we are working on it!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:36 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Well. This sucks. My laptop, being 6 years old, doesn't like the folding. I couldn't get anything over 5% cpu usage to keep it from crashing. I can't afford a newer laptop, and I'm stuck with mine for a while. I'll come back with a vengeance, though.