Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: First KJV, then Kingfish
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:20 am 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

To knock me out of the top 100 after being there for about half a decade. Seem like just a few months ago that Gordon did a big 1M club celebration, and only the top 60 were even a million, now the top 100 has to get close to 12M. It was on one of my random check ins, kind of like Monster was talking about that I saw Gordon passed, and I got interested in doing some more folding. I am still in shock that such a busy forum became a virtual ghost town.

Not much for monkeys tearing up the place, as there is not much to tear up.

Speaking of monkeys, Kingfish, I have not been around much the last couple years, but I am the former roverdude, now as Icebergs. I will not fold for some time to defend my top 100 ranking as I was re-orged out just before Thanksgiving.

Congrats to all and A Happy New Year!

Ice

Post subject: Re: First KJV, then Kingfish
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:51 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

roverdude or Icebergs, welcome back, it's nice to see some of the 'old hands' back here posting.

Gone are the days when a million points landed you square in the middle of page one. Folding has changed so much in the past few years, GPU folding is now outpacing SMP folding with the 600 series Kepler cards getting 30, 40, 50 thousand ppd & more & that's without the quick return bonus of the SMP work units, & then you have the massive point potential of the -bigadv rigs, which when coupled with the right hardware can net 500,000 points for a single work unit. At the rate that F@H is advancing/changing, even Spider_Monkey may not stay safely within the top 100 for long...

Hope you hang around for a while, and if you can't then we'll leave the door open for you when you return :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:44 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

chaosdsm wrote:
even Spider_Monkey may not stay safely within the top 100 for long...

Yup. Having the monkey federation at the top of the leaderboard is long gone bro.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:55 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

I wouldn't worry too much about losing a spot in the top100. I haven't run FAH since I retired Jan. '10 and I'm still in the top 50.
Sad state of affairs for MPC folding.
I've too many other projects that require my funds. House, vehicles, animals. Otherwise I'd start folding again.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:03 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

what do you expect when they keep kicking the doors in on our clubhouse here?
we stop playing here
can you blame us?
I mean really, we invest tons of coin and front the bills for the mag to get a kick ass team, and they show us ZERO respect. I can't speak for everybody, but it made me quit folding completely. The break room was the last straw for me personally.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:40 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

dedgar wrote:
I wouldn't worry too much about losing a spot in the top100. I haven't run FAH since I retired Jan. '10 and I'm still in the top 50.
Sad state of affairs for MPC folding.
I've too many other projects that require my funds. House, vehicles, animals. Otherwise I'd start folding again.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... p?s=&srt=1
I think it's a sad state for all of F@H, frankly.
I mean, look at that chart. There are only 30 teams with more than 100 active folders. Only five teams have more than 500 active folders. And my guess is that as more and more people turn to tablets, laptops, etc. the number will only drop.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:00 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: Rest in Peace... Stratplan & Whitecree & Thomasvjones
I'm not so quick to give up hope.

I mean, look at the last 4M thread..... we had Thirty-Four Millionaires on the list last week. And almost every week we have new, first-time Millionaires.

I'm pretty happy I stuck it out for Nine years of Folding at Home for team 11108.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:17 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

OvenMaster wrote:
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... p?s=&srt=1
I think it's a sad state for all of F@H, frankly.

I'd rather look at this one: Teams sorted by PPD, which has us solidly as #5 (thanks in large part to ChelseaOilman's return and our other mega-folders, but it all adds up!).

I know I'm a relative newcomer by comparison (coming up on my 2nd anniversary in May) but I'm happy to be here and have no intention of stopping. If $ were no object, I'd want to fold even more. Even so, I've got myself up to a level that will be a steady million points per month. Last May, having my first million point month was a major milestone for me; now my 24/7 folders are set to hit that level on a regular basis (and I'm using less power!).

As time marches on and hardware gets better, I'm sure the top 100 will have an even higher threshold, but no matter why (or how much) we do it, it's all for a good cause. That's good enough for me! (And R.I.P. to my Grandma - Alzheimer's)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:07 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)

I'm fairly sure the economy tanked folding fairly hard. Looking at the list of teams, some of the highest producers back a few years ago don't even show above the fold anymore. It's not just MPC that has felt the sting. I know I sure don't have the expendable flow for new machines I had back in the day. However as Smitheman used to say, its not the speed of the machine that counts but if you put it to use or not. He was one of the biggest supporters of the little folders there was. Remember it could be the oldest slowest machine that folds the cure.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:10 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

Yes, the economy has hurt many, including me. There is a different feel than 6 years ago when I started, some is just how MPC has forgotten the forum, but mostly is probably real life.

Personally, it is my intention to fold when I can, and I think there are many others who have the same sentiment. There is no real way I will have as many machines going as I did in the past, but the new hardware is so much more advanced that it does not take as much for the same output. I was kicking out 2M per month overall, and most of the production was going to whatever cause we were supporting or who we were trying to encourage. It was fun. At this point will need to educate my kids on what the research means, they will probably be the tech support. But I will refrain from getting them on this forum so I can continue my shitty language.

Seems like the clients are not as flaky as before, so should be easier for them. Who all remembers a single SMP WU crunching for 71 hours only to crump on hour 72 for no good reason?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:32 am 

RoverDude wrote:
Yes, the economy has hurt many, including me. There is a different feel than 6 years ago when I started, some is just how MPC has forgotten the forum, but mostly is probably real life.
Real life bit all of us hard and didn't want to let go. I'm seeing a slow influx of those of us that used to enjoy it and spared no expense to be able to trash talk the way we did.

RoverDude wrote:
Personally, it is my intention to fold when I can, and I think there are many others who have the same sentiment. There is no real way I will have as many machines going as I did in the past, but the new hardware is so much more advanced that it does not take as much for the same output. I was kicking out 2M per month overall, and most of the production was going to whatever cause we were supporting or who we were trying to encourage. It was fun. At this point will need to educate my kids on what the research means, they will probably be the tech support. But I will refrain from getting them on this forum so I can continue my shitty language.
Agreed, looking at the stats most of the old power folders still are active, just not with the same gusto. As for the kids, they got to learn how to throw some good poo too. So bring them along! haha

RoverDude wrote:
Seems like the clients are not as flaky as before, so should be easier for them. Who all remembers a single SMP WU crunching for 71 hours only to crump on hour 72 for no good reason?
I was right there in the trenches with you bro. I actually remember a Big PU getting to 99% before dumping That was 500is points down the drain. Of course back then 500ppd was a feat.

*PS fixed the name for you Mahaha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:59 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

I suddenly have a craving for peach schnapps to supplement my usual single malt and maduro...have not had that thought for several years.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:43 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

Icebergs wrote:
I suddenly have a craving for peach schnapps to supplement my usual single malt and maduro...have not had that thought for several years.

hmmmmm

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:13 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

Spider Monkey finished off the last bottle a long time ago. The Monkey's Patoot Bar and Grill liquor cellars have been empty and no refills are scheduled.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:13 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I started back up after an almost year long hiatus!!! For what ever reason when I migrated to the new case and SSD, I just never installed F@H, just lost interest, but I had some disposable cash laying around and picked up a couple of Titans and wanted to see just what they could do. Only been back folding since mid march and have cranked out almost 3 million points, with just my loan machine.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:18 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I never got in fully. But don't worry guys. There's a ton of bitcoin miners who might be pushed out of mining once ASICs take over. They may start folding.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:09 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus*
Million Club - 5 Plus*

dedgar wrote:
Spider Monkey finished off the last bottle a long time ago. The Monkey's Patoot Bar and Grill liquor cellars have been empty and no refills are scheduled.

That's a lie -- I've been watching the deliveries as they come in every week, some monkey just keeps drinking it all before it gets to the cellars.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:39 pm 
FoldingMonster
FoldingMonster

I think I see all my rowdy friends here on Monday night................... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:38 pm 

puffie!