Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I'm down for a short bit
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:55 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)

I've been quietly folding since the weather has cooled (1 PC) and now my video card (evga gtx 570) is crapping out and I'm headed out on vacation to Jamaica (no kids).

So, I hope to order a new card tomorrow so I have it when I get back, then get the old one replaced under warranty. Any suggestions on a new card??

All I use it for is folding, and I do some minor video editing and encoding on the side which the 570 was great for. (going form a 9800 GTX).

The rest of the system is a Core i7 2600k and 8 gig of ram so I'm set there. I'll grab an SSD with the order because I can.

Sneezy - the quiet folder now.

Post subject: Re: I'm down for a short bit
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:16 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Have a nice vacation in Jamaica mon!

What's your budget?
I am waiting for my new card to arrive, a 650ti which I think gets about 15k per day. The GTX660's looked like nice mid 20k ppd. I would have went with one of those but I'm on a tight budget until I get a new truck.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:55 am 

I ordered a 650 ti but have yet to install it. Uh, Jamaica, that was fun. Yeah, we got hit by Sandy and then flew home and got hit again. 2 days back and I havent put in a whole day at work yet.....fortunately in both places we managed to stay out of harms way and never lost power.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:54 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Sorry to hear your luck, but glad you and yours are OK.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:14 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Sneezy wrote:
I ordered a 650 ti but have yet to install it. Uh, Jamaica, that was fun. Yeah, we got hit by Sandy and then flew home and got hit again. 2 days back and I havent put in a whole day at work yet.....fortunately in both places we managed to stay out of harms way and never lost power.

I came to see if there's a post about Sandy. Don't see one; guess I'll make one.
Sorry you got hit twice but am glad your safe & were able to get home in time to at least be in your home. No clue how long you could have been "stuck" in Jamaica.

We also did not lose power. It hit right below & above. I'm not far from AC. My home town & the gas station did ok but lost power for a week due to old trees coming down. The last town Hogan & I lived in was pretty close to one of the islands that got trashed.

I'm getting stuff together to donate. It won't be much but will help.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:56 pm 

Blondie wrote:
Sneezy wrote:

I came to see if there's a post about Sandy. Don't see one; guess I'll make one.
Sorry you got hit twice but am glad your safe & were able to get home in time to at least be in your home. No clue how long you could have been "stuck" in Jamaica.

We also did not lose power. It hit right below & above. I'm not far from AC. My home town & the gas station did ok but lost power for a week due to old trees coming down. The last town Hogan & I lived in was pretty close to one of the islands that got trashed.

I'm getting stuff together to donate. It won't be much but will help.

We did quite well in Jamaica. We lost power for about 2 minutes when we were in the shower. Hot water never quit. It was very windy and a fair amount of rain but no big deal. We had nothing out of the ordinary at home. It was not as bad as some thunderstorms. We were spared big time, and it's because we were on the north side of the island. We were evacuated to a sister resort which is stronger. Our resort, the beach was decimated. We had to stay at the other resort for a day just so they could clean the lobby and restaurant.

In the end, it was all an adventure and we still had a great time and met some wonderful people. Grin and Bear it is our motto.