Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: folding with sandy bridge E
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:34 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

Hello everyone,

I have just assembled a 3930k and am folding on it with v7 and windows 7. I will be overclocking it next week sometime once I'm happy the system is stable at stock speeds.

This brings me to my question. I've seen differing opinions about sandy bridge E folding and was wondering what people around here are doing. It seems some people are doing core count spoofing to run bigadv while others are running in linux or in virtual linux with v6 SMP. What would you suggest? Are there any v7 flags I should be using?

PPD on the CPU as I type this is: 14808 on v7 (no flags) with project 8066 (TPF 1:10) The machine is also running 3 GPUs (8800GTX, 260 Core 216 and 480) so some cpu time is being spent on those.

thanks in advance for you thoughts...
scott

Post subject: Re: folding with sandy bridge E
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:21 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Hi, Scottie.

Congrats on the new hardware!

Just my $0.02, I think the recommendations of Stanford should generally be followed. When they made the last changes to the BigAdv program, the baseline was 16 physical cores. Through overclocking and HyperThreading, you may get by on 12 threads, but it is discouraged on the Stanford site:
Quote:
Running a FAH Client on hardware that will only marginally meet the WU's Timeout is strongly discouraged. For example, it is not recommended to run bigadv (BA) work units on slower systems or systems with less than 16 cores and it is not recommended to run SMP work units on slower 2-core systems.

Source: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-BestPractices

VM was common a few years ago, but with the Intel Core series it was a pointless option. I haven't been around the forums enough lately to know if it has any benefit now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:04 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

thanks for you thoughts. I won't be doing bigadv. I will try overclocking and hope to get some some better PPD that way. I haven't overclocked a SB-e cpu yet and I usually use Asus boards but this time I went with the Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4, seemed like a great deal for 4 physical PCIe x16 slots. Anyway I just have to get over the learning curve for OCing a new architecture and unfamiliar board.

Found a great x79 overclocking reference with a gigabyte reference:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1189242/sandy-bridge-e-overclocking-guide-walk-through-explanations-and-support-for-all-x79-overclockers

Any other x79 and/or gigabyte overclocking advice or references?

If anybody is interested I've got the Corsair H100 with stock fans installed in the Silverstone TJ-09.... so I'm hoping for a good OC :)

....scott

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:01 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

The guide I used for X58 overclocking came from a different forum and I had good success with it:
http://www.overclockers.com/updated-Intel-overclocking-guides/

Of course there are differences between the platforms and it wouldn't be right for your board, but you can see both guides are methodical in their approaches. Done that way, you can push settings up one at a time to isolate the changes that create instability, then back off a little.

Good luck. Can't wait to hear your results.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:14 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

So I've started the overclocking using the guide above. So far I'm at 4.3Ghz @1.33Vcore. temps while folding get into the high sixties and I don't feel comfortable getting much higher. I will continue to drop Vcore as stability allows.

Right now the 3930k is getting 44000 PPD on project 8049 with SMP12 (while also running three GPUs). Since it is my main rig, PPD drops throughout the day as I'm working.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:48 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Sounds like it's going well. High sixties wouldn't bother me because the recent Intel offerings have had higher T-Max numbers than earlier chips. That said, it's your gear and you shouldn't push it beyond what you're comfortable with.