Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Both folders down for now...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:18 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I don't have the OS for mom's new pc just yet, so after swapping the SSD for an 80GB HDD, I reinstalled Win8 C.P. Only this time I mistakenly installed the 64bit version. So the HDD & 64bit OS, & appropriate drivers are the only change, but now folding SMP client on the Llano APU is nothing but trouble. It's runninng the p7200 wu at over 5 hours per frame or a little over 24 days to complete 1 WU. Needless to say, I shut down that PC for now & will install Win8 C.P. 32bit when I get home tonight & see if that solves the issue.

My main rig was just too expensive to continue folding. I borrowed a wireless meter reader (one of my neighbors works for the electric company), & I'm already $40 higher on the electric bill Vs last month with 6 - 8 days to go before next reading, so I'll be back to part time folding on it. But right now its shut down for a couple of upgrades!

Post subject: Re: Both folders down for now...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:29 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

The electricity costs pinch many of us. The PPD/watt ratio is a very valid metric.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:25 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Main reason I cant keep folding thats for sure. Sad to have the hardware sitting here.

Post subject: Re: Both folders down for now... Llano Fixed - Drivers
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:41 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Well the problem isn't 32bit vs 64bit, instead, it seems to be AMD's newly released Windows 8 Customer Preview drivers. Fortunately, I hadn't formatted the SSD yet, so I stuck it back in to make sure it wasn't a hardware failure, and running on it, everything was back to where I had left it.

The HDD tests fine & with only occasional writes to it, it shouldn't affect folding anyway.

Also eliminated was any potential FAH core problems i.e. new releases not playing well. Before re-starting FAH on the SSD, I deleted both cores so that both the GPU & SMP clients would download new cores (16 for the GPU, A4 for SMP), and they're still running fine.

So this leaves only two differences between the setups:
1> SSD Vs HDD
2> Win 8 default drivers + 12.4 Catalyst video driver Vs AMD Windows 8 Customer Preview drivers for entire system

I then replaced the Windows 8 video drivers with 12.4 Catalyst drivers for Windows 7 32bit, and folding improved on the HDD, but still not up to the level it is on the SSD, so that means another reinstall to HDD with only video card driver updated to 12.4 Catalyst for Win 7, & I should be able to crank out another 6,000 ppd for the next 6 - 8 days when Win 7 Home Premium arrives & is installed, & I start over yet again :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:01 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

I have had to slow down a lot. We found out that my daughter is going to need braces. Anyway the wife freaked out on the cost but I knew it was coming and planed for it ( I watch the money).

I will be off and on for the summer but in full fold again in the fall. Hopefully all this won't be needed anymore soon?

E

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:56 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

My computer's been not folding for.....all of my college year :/

I planned on using all the free electricity I could, but the memory controller on the CPU is dying, and I have super random crashes - the instability wrecked any WU I tried