Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Chimp Challenge Update / Fold for G
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:22 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

As most of you know, the consensus of the vocal majority here at MaxPC are not in favor of participating in the CC for a variety of reasons. Instead, many have said they will fold in Gordon's memory under his username, gsmitheman, during the time the Chimp Challenge has historically been held.

That said, I want to report on the state of the CC preparations. Others involved have been good about reaching out, even though we have declined participation this year (Zodac from OCN, Adak from Overclockers.)

The remaining teams and their Captains/Co-Captains are still trying to pull things together for another CC. I am heartened by the idea they have floated to include a memorial section on the contest page. What exactly this will consist of is not defined at this point, but I know we are not the only team to have lost revered teammates and I think it will receive approval from all of the teams.

One change to report will affect all future CCs after this one. The other teams are in favor of moving the start date to April beginning next year for more favorable (and equal) weather conditions around the globe.

The latest offering regarding points format was presented by Overclockers:
Quote:
Format:

two brackets, unlimited (straight points race), and a handicap bracket. The handicap basis point score for each team would be taken directly from their average day in the CC, last year.

If you believe it favors smaller teams a bit too much, then give each team a 50% penalty for the *increase* - sounds diabolical, but it cuts down on the advantage of the smaller teams percentage being a smaller quantity, compared to the same percentage increase, in a larger team.

(I'm not sure this is needed since the smaller teams will undoubtedly be in the handicap bracket, and the larger teams will be in the unlimited bracket.)

It's fair, it handles any problem of teams merging (like NCIX and HWC last year), and has a leveling effect on the competition.

Points in this format would be:

Unlimited bracket:
race points earned = total FAH pts.

Handicap bracket:
race points earned = total FAH pts - average days total FAH pts taken from last years CC.

Teams that are new to the CC and racing for the first time need a simple tweak to the points formula:

race points earned = total FAH pts - team daily average for the last six months.

It's important to remember in the midst of all this, that this is just a FUN race. It's not life or death -- it's more important than that!  I don't need rules about EVGA having contests during the race, or any team "timing" work units so they score the most points, etc.

It's a race!

I don't care if EVGA wants to set their britches afire, and run around the park - if it helps them fold, then it's a win -- for Folding@Home. Maybe EVGA will get some time on a super computer -- Go EVGA! You time your work units, and I'll time mine.

It's a race!!

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/show ... ost7139245

Mind you this is not even close to being the final system, just the latest proposal. They wanted us to know what was being discussed in the event we have a change of heart about racing, this year or in the future. If you have any opinions you wish to have heard, I will share them in the Captain's forum.

Post subject: Re: Chimp Challenge Update / Fold for G
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:46 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

The only problem that I have is the raw PPD race. That will be a two (maaaaaabe three) team race between the [H]orde and EVGA (if both are participating, the third would be overclock.net). I guess that would be a race, but everyone else would be in the second tier.

I don't claim to know the answer, but a two team bracket and an everyone else bracket doesn't seem the greatest way to do it.

I'm already folding for G, so I'll continue to do so :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:26 am 

Hello fellow folders - EVGA CC Capt here

This was a compromise format - something for both.
It's a last ditch effort seeing that we had no concensus with only 4 teams(out of 8..since you were out) in the forums
2 really workin, 2 others making some effort - even tho it was sparse

as for the PPD race
there is nothing in the rules barring teams joining together to make a race in the PPD
Maybe it push the teams a bit more

the CC forums basically failed, due to lack of participation
so seeing OCN had a deadline come and go and evga deadline was coming up I went directly to each of the forums

It was Adak's proposal from Overclockers that got the ball rollin
it was a common theme that other teams were discussing

next year I want to double the number of teams entering - so if im still capt I'll be sending out invites to other teams

as for the CC forums we need to be more involve or go to a more open process if we wish to tweak and change it each year
or go to 1 format - and keep it

just like crunching we should accept PPD as one part of it

EVGA and other teams can seem to crunch in races with no issues and no crying about fair (evga was no where near the top )
yet we go to folding and there is a fuss

just imagine what the CC forums will be like if 20, 30, 40 teams or more squabbling over formula and formats each year
(nothing will get accomplished and we just wind up PO'ing each other off)

like I said in the CC forums this has got to end somewhere soon

most of the teams said simplify everything
so here we are

Yes I had suggested a fallen soldier section - honorarium for lost veteran and notables
it's fitting we fold in their honor each year - everyone has lost folders and lost family

other thing to note is that this year adak proposes to get rid of using CC names
I don't agree as with others but we leave that to each team and to our own team membership to decide

As for the Chimp we will miss you guys this year...I hope you make a real dent folding for Gordon and Rose...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:01 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Welcome to the MaxPC forums, Xavier!

The past couple of years, we haven't had great participation for the CC. Good, but not great.

As I understand it, the CC was like a pickup game of basketball that started of with two guys playing HORSE, more people joined in, and eventually we had an NCAA tournament of 64 teams, and now we want to add 4 play-in teams for a full roster of 68. I don't mean to say more teams make the difference. But as it gets bigger, more rules beget more rules and the guys that just wanted to play HORSE don't feel like it's the same game. There is still a basketball and a hoop, but everything else is affected.

Our team is still strong. We may have slipped to 6th, but only awachs is gaining on us at this point, looking at another 2 years before a takeover. We still like folding for a cure. But the motivation to join the race seems to have gone.

If it was fun again, if that old feeling was back, maybe, just maybe there would be a push to do it again. Will that magic ever return? I am an optimist, but it is a stretch for even me to believe.

The fallen soldier page is a great idea. I don't know if the HWC folks are hosting the site again. Since some/many of us will be folding for Gordon, it would be neat to have a progress chart on that page. If our members get behind that effort like I think they can, it could be an awesome sight.

Thanks for taking the time to post here, Xavier. Fold Strong!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:49 pm 

Thx for the warm Welcome.

Im amazed anything came off this year..
EVGA thought it was a goner... going to OCF and talking to adak saved it
he came up with a proposal I ran to the teams rather than the capts - this saved it

Adak wants to put the fun back in it
so do we

we don't care where we land up...just that the format be fair
if we lose to someone doing better than us so be it...if OCN beats us in a fair race we are okay with it

the debacle in the CC this year and the lack of people and movement on position just shows whats failing...the discussions
seems the teams can agree but the capts can't talk or meet??

if it means two races so be it

if it means simplifying it and keeping it as is after we get it right...so be it
PPD will be a part of it from now on I think

if we add more teams next year whats it going to be like when we have that many fighting over tweaks and changes
all it's gonna do is create enemies.

the two system idea is best

then the PPD race is adhere too and we can have a handicap race as well

Crunching contests are straight PPD... we compete there without modifying or quarreling over formula or format
evga is no where near the top yet we enter and go hard out
we do it to measure how well we do each time against the rest...and for the right reasons... we get work done cures and science is done
badges we earn also help -love them crunching badges

why should folding be different
to me I run 24/7 anyways...so all im doing is being counted for a race...that's all and all my favorite projects are done

anyways...fold for gordon - fold like Hell have no fury..and well try to cause stanford some issues keeping up with us all

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:21 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Xavier Zepherious wrote:
..and well try to cause stanford some issues keeping up with us all

Should be a little more difficult with a couple of shiny new servers coming online in the near future. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:46 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Just in case anyone is interested, I've stopped folding for G until the end of the month. I'll start again at the beginning of May in time for the mass of folks to join me. Any questions, let me know. I'm kinda close to the top 50, so I'd like to get in there sooner rather than later. Not a great excuse, but I'll be back folding for G full bore soon enough 8)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:53 am 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

Gero1369 wrote:
Just in case anyone is interested, I've stopped folding for G until the end of the month. I'll start again at the beginning of May in time for the mass of folks to join me. Any questions, let me know. I'm kinda close to the top 50, so I'd like to get in there sooner rather than later. Not a great excuse, but I'll be back folding for G full bore soon enough 8)

No excuse needed, we all fold for the bottom line and that is for a cure to all the worthless disease we have. Just like G did, and some like you that keep his points alive.

As long as you add your points to 11108, it's all good. ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:13 am 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

Full_Taoer wrote:
Xavier Zepherious wrote:
..and well try to cause stanford some issues keeping up with us all

Should be a little more difficult with a couple of shiny new servers coming online in the near future. :mrgreen:

Roger that Full_Taoer :D