Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: First HPCS, Now MS Windows Azure
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:33 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I'm on the right track.... Got my $10 donation added in, and I got Azure to tell me that I'm trying to use to many resources... it said I was trying to use 64 cpu's... or 8 instances at 8 cores each, now I just have to figure out which one is the right '8' for 8-core SMP, and how to use my user name instead of xxxxxxxwithazure.

EDIT: Success... I think...

But I'm not sure if any work is actually being done??? No work units are currently being processed http://chaosdsmfoldingproject.cloudapp.net/Status.aspx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:23 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

For the instance count put in 2, that is the most you can do with the free account. It automatically assigns 8 cores to each instance, max 20. The single core client also has 8 cores assigned.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:05 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Icebergs wrote:
For the instance count put in 2, that is the most you can do with the free account. It automatically assigns 8 cores to each instance, max 20. The single core client also has 8 cores assigned.

Well, I couldn't get it to fold SMP no matter what I tried, it seems that further programming will be needed to enable SMP to work under Windows Azure, which they even state in one of the FAQ's.

But even though it wasn't folding, it was still using up the available CPU time :( So I've cut back to 2 instances of one core each, and it's actually folding for Maximum PC... but I can't figure out how to change the user name... so it's folding for the team but as a new user: http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=611374 Heck I can't even find where it assigns a username.

I've changed the configuration for the 2nd client & perhaps it will fold under my name... that's the only reason I'm running 2 clients btw, as it would likely be better to run a single client since 750 hours = 31.25 days, meaning you could run the client non-stop for the entire 90 days with no breaks in production, even if production is tiny. With 2 clients running on 2 cores, you can only fold for 45 days with 45 days of down time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:36 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus*
Million Club - 5 Plus*

chaosdsm wrote:
Heck I can't even find where it assigns a username..

It looks like it's on the first-run page where it says Name (see Default.aspx.cs:107).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:24 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

smartcat99s wrote:
chaosdsm wrote:
Heck I can't even find where it assigns a username..

It looks like it's on the first-run page where it says Name (see Default.aspx.cs:107).

??? Can you give me the "for dummies" version... file name, which line of the file, etc... I've done a search but there's like 100 different "name" fields within this friggin thing... & I can't find anything anywhere that looks like it assigns "withazure" to your name.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:20 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

The "edit" box is unshaded when you click on the VM (like you did in the graphic above), it is either the same line or just above that wehre you click to have access to the edit box.

Problem is that even with uploading a different client with their for dummies links it still will only single core. Upon my initial set up, I think 3 hours wizzed by before it was folding. I pinched off ONE wu because after that all the SMP trials only confused it. It sill burned CPU time, but had NO OUTPUT. That is when I said not worth it for a smoking 107 points that did not even go to MPC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:15 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

for all of the time and trouble, just bump up the settings on your gpu, throw another fan in your case, and you've made the same PPD or more. And you have easy control of the settings :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:54 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Gero1369 wrote:
for all of the time and trouble, just bump up the settings on your gpu, throw another fan in your case, and you've made the same PPD or more. And you have easy control of the settings :roll:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

1> It is NOT about being easy
2> It is NOT about increasing ppd
3> It IS about increasing Microsoft's cash donation to Stanford's Folding at Home effort
4> It IS about learning (so that it can be even easier for others)
5> It IS about getting work done for Stanford without costing me any more money that I need to spend.

If I wanted to increase my PPD, I'd just start up my other computer, it's aging, but with 2 folding capabale Fermi GPU's & a dual core processor, I could easily add another 5,000 - 8,000ppd or more to the mix. But that's a lot of extra electricity for the work being done. With Windows Azure, it costs nothing except time, & if I have time to sit here & explain that, then I obviously have time for the advancement of disease research even if it is only 100 - 120 work units over the course of 90 days.

In actuality it is VERY EASY, I'm just looking for ways to do things that it wasn't designed to do which apparently includes setting a custom user name. With nothing but a pile of computer parts & a fast internet connection, I can get this going in about 2 hours, & that includes the time to build the PC, install the OS, & all the necessary software. What??? already have a computer built you say, well even simpler then, I can have you folding with Windows Azure for team Maximum PC or any other team of your choosing in 45 minutes & most of that time is due to the software downloading & updating.

Even changing the team to Maximum PC is super simple. Just do a find (CtrlF), search for Team with 'look in' option set to "Entire Solution". The very first one that comes up has the team number nearby, which is set to 184157. Switch to the Replace tab, & type in 184157 in the find box, 11108 in the replace box, make sure you have the "look in" options set to "Entire Solution", & Click the "Replace All" button, save, and your work will be going to "Maximum PC" instead of "Windows Azure". Don't want to fold for team Maximum PC or team Windows Azure? No problem, just put the team number of your choice in the "replace" box before clicking "Replace All".

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:02 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

chaosdsm wrote:
Gero1369 wrote:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

1> It is NOT about being easy
2> It is NOT about increasing ppd
3> It IS about increasing Microsoft's cash donation to Stanford's Folding at Home effort
4> It IS about learning (so that it can be even easier for others)
5> It IS about getting work done for Stanford without costing me any more money that I need to spend.

Yes, I know the above. I just meant that each person has preferred ways to increase the effort going towards folding. To me, the additional time that I would spend on getting things setup for Azure isn't worth it. No offense to anyone that has the time and effort to devote to getting it running. I totally agree that doing it and helping others do it is well worth the effort and I applaud your contributions to those ends :D