Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Being a Nerd Has its Payoffs
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:40 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

So yesterday after helping my friend pick out components he finally sunk the money into a new gaming rig. I then spend the rest of the day building it for him.
He is going to school the same as me and does not want the distraction of a new gaming computer, so he says I can hold onto it for him until the semester is over. What does that mean you might ask?
I have a 3930k and GTX 580 to play with :twisted: .
Folding is allowed.
:D

Post subject: Re: Being a Nerd Has its Payoffs
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:01 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

wow... why the hell did he buy now if he wasn't going to use it? waste of money. Specially when new parts are coming out by the time the semester ends.

And if he's a student and can't properly do time management or manage self control/impulses (then again, what college student does? lol), then he needs to talk to a life counselor and not give up a prized (and expensive!) gaming rig to make informed, responsible decisions. Just the sheer decision of removing such a stressor in his environment won't actually help him deal with his issues; only delays them until it compounds to become a bigger problem (in other areas of his life) since it can lead to regret and a host of other psychological problems or issues. Not something you want to hear, but not being able to fend off temptations is going to be a big detriment for the rest of his life.

And there's a lot of other temptations in college; gaming would be low on that totem pole... or stripper pole... And I game a lot... lol

Then again, he's what younger than 25? So his pre-frontal cortex isn't fully developed so he's more prone in making rash decisions. Soo... koodo's for him to take the first step in acknowledging he has a gaming problem.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:42 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

My first response was yes I dont know why he really wanted to buy now but it was his money and he had been waiting for some time so I guess he just got excited and bought it.

My response to your overall post would be something rude and im refraining from saying more. I will only say that he is one of the best students I know and is in second year engineering and doing well. SO if he has such big problems in LIFE then they have yet to show but thank you so much for saying that he is damaged and needs help.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:00 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Don't take my post as being rude or anything negative. It was just an observation. I am nothing more than a robot...

I did NOT say he's damaged, and going to speak to a councilor should NOT be construed in saying something is completely wrong with him in a "normal" sense.

A life councilor will help bring out issues and a good idea to talk things out in a high stress environment like college. Every college has councilors to help students with simple issues like this and a great idea to just make an appointment. Even healthy people who have NO issues will still benefit with talking to a life councilor; just that our society and culture deems such a position in thinking something needs to be wrong before taking such actions/steps. Or a sense of embarrassment in seeing such a professional.

He could be the best A+ student on the planet and a very responsible person, but it still doesn't negate the fact that all he is doing is removing a stessor from his environment, instead of dealing with it head on. I should correct my statement that the compound issues COULD lead to bigger problems and issues, but its more likely than not that it would.

I apologize if you took offense to my first reply, but I'm being objective as a 3rd party and only give such hints of something that you could bring up to your friend if you deem it possible of truth to it. I don't know. I don't know him.

Quote:
And there's a lot of other temptations in college; gaming would be low on that totem pole... or stripper pole... And I game a lot... lol

Then again, he's what younger than 25? So his pre-frontal cortex isn't fully developed so he's more prone in making rash decisions. Soo... koodo's for him to take the first step in acknowledging he has a gaming problem.

These were jokes...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:09 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

I think the question being overlooked is...can it run Crysis?

Sorry for the worn out cliche. Just wanted to add some levity.

The comments by JBaz read to me like they were meant to be helpful, not acerbic. Unfortunately, without knowing the person or the whole scenario, our thoughts sometimes lead to stereotypical categorization. We've probably all been on both ends of that at some point.

Here, we had two of the difficulties of the internet on display: limited details and detecting the tone of a comment.

Let's chalk that up to misunderstood communication and cheer the fact that more molecules will be crunched in search of a cure. 8)

Mag, glad you have the use of some extra horsepower for the time being. 20 mil may come faster than you expected, eh?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:34 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Well put as usual, FT. It's nice, Mag's friend has an able minded person to help choose good parts (Even if not the spot-on best, and perfect, months from now) for a new build, and also willing to assemble them into the best fragging machine he requires or wants. Mag, in turn, gets to responsibly break-in the machine and just maybe hit a nice round 20mil, sooner than he thought, and maybe frag some aliens as another bonus. Sounds like a win, win... win, opportunity. Those chances don't necessarily present themselves every day.

Enjoy... You Nerd! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:55 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

I find it offensive that you took my comments offensive about the possibility of a fence and a stripper pole... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:23 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

The stripper comment insulates you from any offense.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:29 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

hopefully I was wearing insulation with "Kandy" :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:31 am 
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)

And Im Hayden Christensen!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:46 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

I have learned something today... Darth Vader is Canadian... Screw Iran! We need to deal with this impending doom from the neighbors closer to home! QUICK EVERYONE TO YOUR X-WINGS! IT'S A TARP!!! :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:45 am 
Folding Master (Top-ranked)
Folding Master (Top-ranked)

Waiting could have made it Ivy Bridge.