Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Moanin' & groanin'
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:09 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Bear with me, I'm just complaining...

I've been down since the 25th (well, my main rig anyways) :cry: I'm missing my 34-40k PPD for G :cry:
Got some shiny new memory that wouldn't clock like expected, so I decided to update my bios; the newer version says better "CPU, memory, etc. support". No sweat, right? Unfortunately, wrong :evil: The update doesn't work and the backup bios is somehow not overwriting the main bios (yay, gigabyte dual bios!). I'm busy fishing for ways to remedy the situation. It seems like my only solution is to RMA. Not a happy camper :x

AAARRRGGGGHHH!!!!

Anyone got a spare X58 board sitting around? Looks like a decent one on the egg if RMA turns out to be poo.

Otherwise, I may just sell the internals and save for a shiny new G34 4P board.

=====================================================
Update 3/7

Well, now it turns out that I can actually get into the bios, but flashing using the USB stick that I used before isn't working. I didn't have much time to try different methods last night, but I'll give things a shot a bit later, when I can get to it. I'm crossing my fingers and toes, but not holding out too much hope. I'll err on the side of skepticism.

Post subject: Re: Moanin' & groanin'
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:01 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Builder's grief I guess. Didn't give us too much to work with here, but I know one simple desktop machine with 40K is easily possible.

G34 is more complicated than it seems. You need the big 4x4 CPU rig and you need it now for folding. I'm currently down 60K ppd from playing with this "crap" and taking hits for the team. I'm flat-lined basically and not having fun with a dedicated AMD or Intel folding machine. Most of what you read in other places has you overclocking the CPU to get to the net ppd, and it just ain't happening here by default. 24 cores are just drifting in the wind...and I'm good at this stuff I thought.

Thinking about just firing up the individual PC's again and bone this replacement.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:55 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Thx for the reply and sorry to hear about your troubles. Yeah, things not working as expected really suck!

Just as another update, I ended up RMAing the board and it is on it's way back to me now. Hopefully in working order :roll: I'll post another update when I have everything back up and running. I'm hoping for the best, but not expecting it. LOL I couldn't find out how to get any information about my RMA from Gigabyte besides that the board is on the way back to me. Kinda sucks. It does look like I'm getting the same model back, but I don't know if it is my original board, or a replacement. I'd like to know what the problem was, if it was fixed, or anything else about it. Such is life with an RMA.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:28 am 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

Another nice option for mobos is to look at evga website and their B-stock section. Sometimes if you buy one board they are out of, they have nicely upgraded me to a better board for free.

Chumly: would like to hear about G34 probs, am thinking of getting a 4p board for one of those now that there are new AMD 16-core procs and could run Linux for dedicated folding. What is hard to set up about it?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:17 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I have now gotten the board back (and with a shiny new main bios chip). I am working on redoing my OC. I did it quickly based mainly on my old settings. I'll be getting more into the redo this evening (hopefully). So far, so good for things. The CPU is currently @ 3.8, memory is at 1520 @ 1.5V. New bios is the F8a flavor (came on the new chip). With luck & some skill, hopefully I'll be able to go higher on the CPU & memory!

Here's hoping!
Hopefully everything goes more smoothly for you too Chumly (and you too Doc, when you get some G34 love)! 8)

PS - I just ordered the memory for my future G34 rig :twisted: