Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: We Lost One of F@H's Greatest Champions - Gordon Smithem
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 am 
Top 10 (2 Million)
Top 10 (2 Million)

Gordon. Never met anyone who inspired more people. As much as I enjoyed competition and the banter that was rampant on this forum, "G" was the reason I continued to Fold.

The diverse and wonderful people on here are always entertaining. The continuous problems and complete disregard for them on Stanford forums made me angry enough to shoot things. I didn't (well, maybe nothing that anyone can prove) because of Gordon. WANTED to give to any contest he would organize, simply because you KNEW anything he started was going to help the team, and often inspire other teams. Never met in person, but we spoke on the phone and PM. I have never "met" a nicer person. He was amazing on this forum, and even more so in private. I can only hope that Stanford and all of the Folding Community understand what a champion he was. I will never forget him.

RIP Gordon, and live forever in happiness with Rose

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:14 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

This made me look up my welcome post again... Im not sure if I would have jumped into the forum without it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:14 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

:cry:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:06 am 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

I haven't been around much so when I read this I was shocked, then saddened. I started fold for MPC back in 04. I stumbled upon this forum in 08 and it was G-man that got me to sign up and start reading/posting/enjoying this section. He did a lot for us here.

RIP Gordon.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:38 pm 
Folding Master (Top-ranked)
Folding Master (Top-ranked)

Very very sad. Like all of you have said he was a great inspiration for our team and always welcomed folders from other teams.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:19 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

I feel hollow when I try to put words down about this. Such a huge loss to the community and of course his family. :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:15 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

I'm so sorry to hear this.

R.I.P Gordon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:20 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)
Monkey Federation (Top 10)

Gordon was the one that got me interested enough to ramp up my production after I started. His enthusiasm was contagious (as was everyone elses). It's sad to see he has passed. MY condolences to his family. He did an amazing amount of things for the folding community.

May he rest in peace and may his family know the things he did to help find cures.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:54 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Spider Monkey wrote:
Shit. I just told Blonde the other day that I was anticipating this. He wanted to be with Rose. What a sad day indeed.

Very sad.
While I didn't come here much; I tried to keep in contact with him; the last time we messaged; his cancer wasn't doing great either. I don't doubt a broken heart contributed to him passing away; but it also could be that his health took a turn after losing Rose.

You should pin this post.
If Satch is around; maybe he can make a new badge? Those of us that can't donate to the tribute that Doc posted about; perhaps we can fold in his name or a new name created just for this. While it's been years since I changed my client; I'd be willing to make a newb post & try to figure out what client I should run on my quad.

Rest in peace G

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:45 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Blondie wrote:
If Satch is around; maybe he can make a new badge? Those of us that can't donate to the tribute that Doc posted about; perhaps we can fold in his name or a new name created just for this. While it's been years since I changed my client; I'd be willing to make a newb post & try to figure out what client I should run on my quad.

Rest in peace G

Some of us are already folding in his name.
http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=133687

You can see I've modified G's avatar for use as mine. When I get home, I'll upload it to my Photobucket for others to use, if they wish. Not the same as a badge, but it's something.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:01 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Full_Taoer wrote:
Blondie wrote:

Rest in peace G

Some of us are already folding in his name.
http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=133687

You can see I've modified G's avatar for use as mine. When I get home, I'll upload it to my Photobucket for others to use, if they wish. Not the same as a badge, but it's something.

Still digesting this.
Can you cut Daisy's head out & upload it? I'd like to add it to my avy.
I'll have to work on my client this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:57 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Ballz.

I knew how much he loved Rose, this does not shock me he went so soon after. A love like that is very uncommon. Gordon was a great man, he certainly inspired me, and I know how much he did for our team. I am proud to have known and interacted with such a wonderful man.

I am so sad to hear this news.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:33 pm 
FoldingMonster
FoldingMonster

Oh, man.

This is one of those "it just can't be" posts, where you log out and immediately log back in, hoping the bad news was just a bad dream.

But it's not.

I'll never forget you, G.

None of us will.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:12 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Blondie wrote:

Saved it as a PNG for transparency of the background. The resolution is workable, but small since this came from Gordon's avatar. If I find the sauce, I can make a higher rez copy.
Daisy.png

Since Daisy was already in the editor, I took the liberty of adding her for you.
Blondie w/ Daisy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:23 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Full_Taoer wrote:
Blondie wrote:

Saved it as a PNG for transparency of the background. The resolution is workable, but small since this came from Gordon's avatar. If I find the sauce, I can make a higher rez copy.

Since Daisy was already in the editor, I took the liberty of adding her for you.

Thank you! Possible others want to add it next to their avy & Straplan's image.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:24 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

MonsterBuilder wrote:
Oh, man.

This is one of those "it just can't be" posts, where you log out and immediately log back in, hoping the bad news was just a bad dream.

But it's not.

I'll never forget you, G.

None of us will.

Nice to see you stop in. Sad that it's for the loss of G

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:34 pm 
FoldingMonster
FoldingMonster

Hi Blondie,

I've been dropping in from time to time, but given that I wasn't in a position to do any folding, I figured it was best that I just lurk. Now I regret that decision.

I've been wandering in and out of various threads yesterday and today, kinda like you wander around the home of a loved one who has passed. Gordon and I communicated back and forth from time to time, but the last time was in May 2009 about that year's CC. I more or less faded as work / economy / health / family converged to need more time than I had to give on a day to day basis. Lots of things got back-burnered, including friends here.

It got to the point that nearly every MaxPC mag I received in 2009 and 2010 are STILL in the plastic - time was that I couldn't wait for the next issue to hit my mailbox. I loved and still love the mag, but life was absolutely overwhelming.

Recent months (going back to November/December) things have seemed to be slowing down - I had a conversation with a coworker just last week about how it finally seemed that I had a bit of leisure time creeping into the picture. I actually fired up one of the old machines in the basement about three weeks ago - first time in who knows when - even went over to NewEgg and bought a memory upgrade for it.

I'm still on the fence about getting back into folding - electricity has been pretty expensive the last few years, and barring something resembling a realistic national energy policy that's not likely to change - but the idea of not getting at least one machine going in Gordon's memory seems borderline sacrilegious.

I'm leaning toward getting one going for gsmitheman. It's precious little to do in memory of a guy who gave us all so much.

Does anyone know what actually happened?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:18 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

I can say the same; even about the mags & even stopped subscribing until hub decided he was going to pay it. I just couldn't do it. I was just recovering from the stuff with my dad & hub having a bad fall when hub was diagnosed 9/09 with stage 4 oral cancer; so that set me back a lot & coming here was hard but I did every few months to try to keep up with Mike's daughter & to see who was still around.

I PM'd G a few times before Rose was diagnosed. Last he told me was that his cancer had spread. I'll see if I can find it. I don't know if anyone knows what the COD is; if it was his cancer or a broken heart.

I run 2 clients on my quad core; it usually doesn't run much because of electric. We shut all of our boxes down when not using them except for my Mac mini which doesn't use much electric. I'm not folding on the Mac; could never figure out how. The client on my quad core is probably from 2008 when I built it. I haven't built a computer in a long time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:21 am 
Monkey Bollocks
Monkey Bollocks

Oh wow.. I can recall talking to him back in 2010 when he started off the Chimp Challenge.

His posting style always stood out to me, he helped me out when needed (I have 2 logins here). Coming up to the CC again its kinda hit a nerve in me... We only just found out, thanks to Full_Taoer popping in and letting us know.

I'm very sorry to hear of the loss.. both him and his wife. Thoughts to his family and friends.

I'm not too sure what else to write, but the folding community has lost a great supporter. From all of us here at Over Clockers Australia (OCAU) and Team 24... Commiserations.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:16 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

Man, what sad news this is. I've been thinking since yesterday when I found out about this, just what I wanted to say. I have tears in my eyes as I write this.

Gordon and I talked quite a bit after I found out I had a TBI and PTSD from Iraq. He was of tremendous help to me on a very personal level. He and Rose would often shoot me PM's to see how I was doing during my long hospital stays. After the tornado, Gordon sent me pieces and parts of computers even though I told him the community at large was sending me money and computer parts left and right.

Gordon's comment? "Use them to build computers for the kids in your area who have also lost their homes." And I did just that.

Gordon, you are one of those rare people, along with your wonderful Rose, who gave so much of yourself while not wanting a single thing in return. I will miss you greatly brother, and lament that I wasn't in touch with you these past six months. Thank you, Sir, for all you have done for this community, for Folding and for me personally.

Godspeed my friend.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next