Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Sweet, I'm getting a Tripp Lite UPS!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:48 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

It's just a cheap one, ($34.50 +$8 S&H) but it'll give my computer 4-12 minutes to shutdown depending on how many watts my PSU uses.

Now, for the reason I'm posting this in this forum. This UPS is going to allow me to run my PC all week while I'm in St. Joseph, MI. on vacation!

I just have one question. If the power goes out while I'm gone, and the computer shuts down (hopefully properly) will the computer start back up again on it's own once the power comes back?

Here is the UPS I'm getting: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductde ... 007&depa=0

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:00 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

first off i wouyldnt buy that brand i have been and always will buy APC every computer im my home and all home audio/video (tvs,stereos,dvd players,etc) i currently have the apc 725 gives about 20-60 min of backup
now if the one you have comes with the computer connection you can set it up to shut down safely if the power does go out but no it will not boot back upwithout someone there to turn it on now if you dont install the shutdown software once the battery drains your pc will just turn off like if someone pulled the plug also if you dont use the software and it is a short outage it should be fine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:32 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Actually, the reason I wanted to go with Tripp Lite was because it has full Linux support.

Does APC have full Linux support?

And second, I don't want to spend a fortune on a UPS.

My other alternative is of course, just to get a good line conditioner.

The point is I need something that will prevent my computer from taking a spike or any other power fluxuation while I'm on vacation, or at any other time.

Today there was one hell of a lot of lightning. I shut it down for the brunt of it, but turned it back on once things quieted down. About 10 minutes later the power fluxuated and the computer did a nasty off then on trick, but when it came on nothing ran. I had to power it off with the front button, then power it back up to get it to boot.

I hear that a line conditioner can prevent that sort of thing. Some people say that a line conditioner will allow you to unplug the computer for a couple seconds and plug it back in.

Should I just get a good line conditioner instead of a UPS?

It's not all that bad if the comptuer powers off without a proper shutdown. It is bad if it takes a spike or some other power fluctuation.

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:42 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

I have a "decent" APC unit sitting in front of my computer. It gives me about 10 minutes before shutting down. I think I paid a little over $100 for it.

It does a great job since I live out in the country and power dips and the like are somewhat common where I live. My previous computer would crash all the time because of it.

I will now always have one of these babys hooked up to any computer that I plan on running for several hours each day, or even 24/7, it just makes things so much nicer.

You should be able to set your BIOS to power on after a power failure. I have a dual AMD rig that does it every time I plug it in because for some reason the battery doesn't keep the BIOS settings I select. Yes, I changed the battery out with a new one...it still does it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:10 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

I still think $100 is too much.

I don't currently have a "real" job.

I did just get paid 1.9k, but that was for a lot of summer work, and I'm not going to be getting any more of that work in the future.

Right now I just want to make sure that I don't get any power spikes and the like, but if I could, I would like for my computer to shutdown properly during a blackout.

What specifically is wrong with the Tripp Lite?

It has just about everything I need:
Linux support,
At least 4 minutes to shutdown.
Noise reduction
Surge Protection

What more do I need?

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:27 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

accually the one i got was from a local computer megastore called microcenter its the apc 725va normally $115 i got it for $49
im not sure about the linux support i know for sure win and mac os X also you can get a base unit for around $50 and if you have a sams club near by i have seen the 500va around the same price and yes after looking on thier site the software that they use (powerchute) is linux compatable

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:37 am 
Super Folder
Super Folder

You can actually set your computer to restart when power returns. Check the BIOS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:40 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Ya, you can adjust what the system does after a power failure in the BIOS. I had thought it was in the Power Settings part of the control panel, but couldn't find it. It should have a few options like "on, off, or last state". I use "last state", because if it's off, Well...I don't want it turning on for no reason.

Also, APC comes with software that you can use to adjust it. Just another APC fanatic;) They have a trade-in type deal that if you already have an UPS, you just bring it in and they credit you for it...APC or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:54 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Belboz99 wrote:
What specifically is wrong with the Tripp Lite?

Nothing that I'm aware of. We have quite a few of them that we plug our switches into and they've not had any problems thus far. We've had 'em for probably 6-8 mos.