Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Newbie in Folding@Home?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:07 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

Well, it's been a long time coming, but I am finally a member of team #11108, MaximumPC.
And since I am about to share my machine(s) specs so as to accurately pinpoint the performance I have to offer the team in general, I figure this may - if it's okay - be a good thread for all newbies to say hi.

So here goes - My Rigs as Follows,
Currently has Folding@Home:

(Workstation)
☼ Proprietary eMachines mobo
☼ Pentium 4 2.8ghz (No O/C Poss. :( )
☼ 768mb DDR
☼ 80GB HDD
☼ nVidia 64mb GeForce mx400

Soon to be added to Folding@Home:

(My Gaming Rig)
☼ Asus M2A-MX SE Plus AM2+ Motherboard
☼ Phenom x4 9850 BE 2.5ghz CPU (O/C to 3.0ghz)
☼ 2gb Kingston HyperX DDR2/1066 RAM
☼ 320GB Barracuda
☼ 500GB Barracuda
☼ ATi Radeon HD4650 512mb Graphics Card
(I may build another of these for my mom's
setup and place Folding@home on it too.
Although she would not be pleased if I put
the program on as high a priority on her rig
as I have on my own!).
More Details in my post HERE.

&

(My File-server)
☼ Asus P4P800-E
☼ Pentium 4 HT 2.88ghz CPU (O/C to 3.2ghz)
☼ 1024mb DDR
☼ 2 300gb Maxtors
☼ nVidia 512mb GeForce 6200gt

All will be/are using this user name: thejake490

I hope to see more of us gamers place our beasts (such as they are) on this, noblest of causes!

:mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Newbie in Folding@Home?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:53 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Jake, welcome to the team!

You say "finally", so it sounds like you have contemplated it for a while. Perhaps you've been lurking through the posts here in the folding forum. If you still have questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Since you only posted a few hours ago, I'll assume for now that your machines are folding fine, but haven't completed any WUs yet. You haven't shown up in the EOC stats or Stanford's stats, either. I'm looking forward to seeing your contributions.

So, we know about your machines. Tell us about you (only as personal as you are comfortable with). Your likes? Hobbies? What made you decide to fold? How did you choose Team MPC?

Again, welcome to the team, Jake!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:15 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)
Monkey Federation (Top 10)

Welcome aboard the addiction train Jake!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:49 am 
Million Club
Million Club

Full_Taoer wrote:
Jake, welcome to the team!

You say "finally", so it sounds like you have contemplated it for a while. Perhaps you've been lurking through the posts here in the folding forum. If you still have questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Since you only posted a few hours ago, I'll assume for now that your machines are folding fine, but haven't completed any WUs yet. You haven't shown up in the EOC stats or Stanford's stats, either. I'm looking forward to seeing your contributions.

So, we know about your machines. Tell us about you (only as personal as you are comfortable with). Your likes? Hobbies? What made you decide to fold? How did you choose Team MPC?

Again, welcome to the team, Jake!

DreadedOne509 wrote:
Welcome aboard the addiction train Jake!

HAH! As though I did'nt already have enough addictions, right? Let's add another to the fray...

I have been a reader of MaximumPC for going on 2 years now - and a subscriber as well. But until recently, I did not have a hardware chops to justify using Folding@Home, Mostly underpowered Pentium III's with very little RAM. (Would'nt even run Microsoft Security Essentials without freezing, let alone process lots of data constantly). So once I started my dream job working in a computer repair shop, I was afforded the ability to peruse their extensive collection of computer parts and FINALLY make the paradigm-shift from P-III to Phenom x4 and P-4's. (And what a difference it has been - I no longer have to wait 36-hours to transcode a single DVD and wind up with 2-8 frames per second :lol: )

Anyway, the first workstation you see on my list above has been folding on and off since day before yesterday (Just finished an all-night run in fact). The other two should come online in the next few months MAX, or in a few weeks MIN. So we'll see!

Glad to be aboard! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:16 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Welcome, Jake!

Great to have you on the team!

Also, you can run up your pointage twice over
or more, with a 8xxx and above Nvidia card (if
you or one of your friends have one laying around)
since they're more optimized for f@h.

Enjoy and have fun, participating in a good cause!

Last edited by jack5995 on Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:22 am 
Million Club
Million Club

<place nutty grin here>

Happy to get the electrons-a-flowin!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:52 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

Won't be long before you start to crave point boosts- I know as soon as I saw a guy running an I7 920 overclocked to 3.8ghz getting 60-80k bonuses that was me investing in a new I7 rig! Don't be afraid- embrace the debt for it is a good cause!

Welcome to the folding club and team 11108- never before have I stumbled into such a focussed, yet friendly group of gentlemen (and occasional ladies.) We'll see you on the charts as you lap up the points.

Fold on!

Eno

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:12 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

It really is addicting. I will soon have three rigs basically just folding... lol ill be eating kd and instant noodles for all meals soon haha jk but it sure is addicting. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:56 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

magnumsrule wrote:
It really is addicting. I will soon have three rigs basically just folding... lol ill be eating kd and instant noodles for all meals soon haha jk but it sure is addicting. :roll:

Utility bill came today: $185.20. :shock:
I'm already living on instant noodles (Though I'm fond of calling them Re-Constituted Faux-Chinese Cuisine).

And my boss at work has agreed to let me run FAH on my workstation, but only during the day when I am working between 10am and 6pm or so. My colleagues - I won't say who - are mostly very particular about what is put on their rigs at work and would declare war on me if I even came within 2 feet of their stations with a flash drive.

My Work Workstation:

Gateway Proprietary Motherboard.
2.8ghz Pentium 4 (Stock Clock).
1 GB DDR/400 RAM.
20 GB HDD.
Integrated Graphics.

Happy Folding!!!

BTW: My avatar is not at all dissimilar to the place I work. :mrgreen:

A Note: I am finally on the list (HERE) and have climbed to rank 10596! It's not much, but it should really ramp up when I get my other machines crunching numbers.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:50 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

thejake490 wrote:
A Note: I am finally on the list (HERE) and have climbed to rank 10596! It's not much, but it should really ramp up when I get my other machines crunching numbers.

Yep, you're on the list. There's a better place to watch your points rise, though. Your EOC stats page is in the link below.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=530417

Pretty charts, a list of people you're about to pass (or pass you), and links to team pages. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:05 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Full_Taoer wrote:
Yep, you're on the list. There's a better place to watch your points rise, though. Your EOC stats page is in the link below.

Pretty charts, a list of people you're about to pass (or pass you), and links to team pages. :)

yup that EOC page will become one of the 1st pages you hit in the morning and one of the last you hit at night.

and, a bit late from me I know, but Welcome to the Team!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:06 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

CharBroiled wrote:
Full_Taoer wrote:

yup that EOC page will become one of the 1st pages you hit in the morning and one of the last you hit at night.

and, a bit late from me I know, but Welcome to the Team!

Yup, I saw the charts yesterday and that was before I started ALL my rigs on their own individual FAH clients all set to my name (diff. machine id's tho).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:19 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

thejake490 wrote:
Yup, I saw the charts yesterday and that was before I started ALL my rigs on their own individual FAH clients all set to my name (diff. machine id's tho).

Just FYI, you only have to worry about different machine IDs in the same computer. For example, two separate computers, each running a CPU client, can both be set to MachID 1. It's only when there are multiple clients in the same computer that the IDs must be different.

No harm in having them all different, though.

Happy folding!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:08 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

Good to knoooow.... :lol:

Update: I have broken down and gotten the 3.2ghz P4 HT Extreme Edition for my file server and will soon get it installed with the highest possible stable overclock without resorting to overvolting it or pinmodding it. I can't wait.

:P

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:34 pm 

CharBroiled wrote:
that EOC page will become one of the 1st pages you hit in the morning and one of the last you hit at night.

Quote:
Update: I have broken down and gotten the 3.2ghz P4 HT Extreme Edition for my file server and will soon get it installed with the highest possible stable overclock without resorting to overvolting it or pinmodding it. I can't wait.

...You'll be hitting that page many more times during the day besides just the morning and evening, and from the looks of your last post, it looks like the addiction has already set in! Image Even though I'm not folding for MPC, welcome to the F@H project! Many of us out there consider all dedicated folders as brothers (and sisters) in this project...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:01 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

Hmmm.... My quad-core is not using over 25% of its resources to fold. How do I up it to 100% ?

:cry:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:06 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

you will need to setup the SMP client, which can use more than 1 core of a cpu. There is a guide somewhere around here. check out the thread of all threads.

Ted

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:20 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

Got SMP2 and my space-heater has been activated. Also running the GPU client on the same machine and so my poor HD4650 is feeling the burn. I may reduce my clocks though because my GPU has heated up to about 70c. The CPU (Phenom x4 9850 @ 3.0ghz) is barely breaking 50c so its fine. System is still responsive as heck too so I am a happy man.

jack5995 wrote:
Welcome, Jake!

Great to have you on the team!

Also, you can run up your pointage twice over
or more, with a 8xxx and above Nvidia card (if
you or one of your friends have one laying around)
since they're more optimized for f@h.

Enjoy and have fun, participating in a good cause!

Sorry I did not respond, but does an HD4650 work well for the GPU client???

Last edited by thejake490 on Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:21 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Not sure which client you are using. You may be using the systray single-core client. For a quad-core, you should use the Windows 6.30 console client from this page:

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther

There is also an install guide there that explains most everything to get it up and running. Click the "passkey" link and get one from Stanford. It is a 15-character passkey that is needed for getting bonus points. You'll be given a chance to enter it during the configuration. Once you're going with SMP WUs, you will need to do 10 of them with the passkey (and an 80% or higher completion rate) before you are awarded bonus boints for beating the deadline.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:24 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

thejake490 wrote:
System is still responsive as heck too so I am a happy man.

Your system should always be responsive with folding. Remember, it only uses unused clock cycles. So anything you do other than folding will take away from folding. That will slow down your frame rates and consequently reduce your points under the bonus system.