Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: AMD loves TINKERS, TINKERS love AMD!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:25 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Hey all.

I've been stuck folding Gromacs the past couple of days. I was averaging about 4-6 point's per hour (pph).

Now, I've read that AMD's fold Tinkers better than Intels, but I didn't know by how much.

The thing is, all the benchmarks are done by an Intel CPU, they don't benchmark with AMDs. So, they give each WU a certain amount of points based on how long it took the Intel to finish.

Now, here's where it gets good. For some reason, AMDs fold Tinkers faster than an Intel, today I just found out by how much. Looking at a sample of 4 frames out of 400, I took the total time for those 4 frames (17.5 minutes) and multiplied it by 100 (1,750) and divide by 60 to get the amount of hours (about 29.17) now divide the total point worth (239) by the amount of hours (29.17) and I get a whopping 8.19 points per hour! At that rate, I'll get 197 points for only 24 hours of work! :shock:

197ppd (points per day) has been well beyond my reach since day 1. This is really going to help my average! Go AMD!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:38 am 
Professional Dork
Professional Dork

Is there a way to force your system to fold gromacs or tinkers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:54 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

I'm not sure, there was some talk of a 3rd party software that would get certain WUs over others, but I'm not sure if it would allow you to always get Tinkers.

Sure would be nice though! :)

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:59 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Ghostwheel wrote:

I'm not sure if there's a way to 'force' it, but from what I understand, if you only use the -local flag, it should benchmark you system the first 4 WU's and give you the ones it thinks is best suited for your system.

I keep seeing the same as what the other guy said. AMD's (Namely the Athlon XP)are better at Tinkers and Intel's (and even the Athlon64/Opteron)are better at Gromacs ('cause of SSE2)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:39 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

TWBalls wrote:
Ghostwheel wrote:

I'm not sure if there's a way to 'force' it, but from what I understand, if you only use the -local flag, it should benchmark you system the first 4 WU's and give you the ones it thinks is best suited for your system.

I keep seeing the same as what the other guy said. AMD's (Namely the Athlon XP)are better at Tinkers and Intel's (and even the Athlon64/Opteron)are better at Gromacs ('cause of SSE2)

Yeah, I can't imagine what SSE2 does to F@H.

I was running a P736 Gromac when I accidentally locked up my computer (Gnome doesn't work under my new user :? ). So I rebooted and didn't notice the what the log said (I have it running as a process). It basicaly said that it wasn't going to use SSE because of the improper shutdown.

Because I wasn't using SSE my pph went from 6 down to 3.4 :evil: I spent 36 hours on that damn 128 pointer! :evil:

Must Check For SSE Boost OK....
Must Check For........

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:21 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
that sucks, and all you had to do is stop and restart the wu and it would have gone back to the fast time. :D