Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Long time no... anything!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:37 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

Howdy all! Tomorrow, UPS will be dropping off a big box of goodness in the form of an i7-3820, Sabertooth X79, GTX670, 16GB ram, and the rest of the parts for my new rig. I'm replacing my almost-6-year-old system with a Q6600, 8800GTS, and 2GB ram. This upgrade is LONG overdue!

I haven't folded in a long time but this new build has got me in the mood to crunch some data for a good cause. Can anyone with a 3820/670 give me some rough ballpark figures on the PPD I should see? I plan on OC'ing the 3820 and the 670 is the MSI "Twin Frozr" OC'ed model so I'm thinking that should put out some good numbers on its own. Can I run the cpu and gpu clients on the same system? I didn't do much GPU folding my last go-round as the client was in its infancy. I'm going to do some reading to get caught up with the folding scene so I'm not looking for any hand holding but any tips or advice is always greatly appreciated!

I'm giving this old system to my girlfriend's daughter but I'm going to get it setup to fold while it's idle as she spends a lot of her time at her dad's so I'll have both rigs folding for me/us. I'm looking forward to folding with you all again and I can't wait for the new rig to be up and running!! I'm like a kid on Christmas eve... I don't think I'm going to get any sleep tonight, LOL!!

Be seeing you all more,
LaxerFL
folding as Michael_DiPaolo

Post subject: Re: Long time no... anything!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:33 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

From the 670 you can likely see in the neighborhood of 24k PPD+, if I remember what I've seen correctly. Sorry to inform you that the much less expensive 660 Ti would have been a better value, but ooh well.

Looks like 35-40k PPD folding under Linux; I'd imagine 30-35k PPD or so under Windows. Lots of people are hitting 4.5-5.0+ Ghz OC on this chip, so looks like a good choice!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:45 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

Gero1369 wrote:
From the 670 you can likely see in the neighborhood of 24k PPD+, if I remember what I've seen correctly. Sorry to inform you that the much less expensive 660 Ti would have been a better value, but ooh well.

Looks like 35-40k PPD folding under Linux; I'd imagine 30-35k PPD or so under Windows. Lots of people are hitting 4.5-5.0+ Ghz OC on this chip, so looks like a good choice!

Awesome, thanks. I picked the 670 for gaming as well and I'm pretty happy with it so far. I went from an unplayable slide show in Planetside 2, from 0 to a max of 20 FPS, to 90 to 100 FPS on the new rig! The SSD boots Windows in about 10 seconds flat! I did a little informal benchmarking and encoding a video file with Handbrake that too right around 5 minutes on the old rig only took 13 seconds on this one! All in all I'm very happy with the build and have to thanks MaximumPC for their recommended "Performance" parts list!

The new system ran Prime95 for 13 hours without a single hiccup so I think she's good to go. Going to start OC'ing her now!

I'll be seeing you guys very soon with some new PPDs.

Lax

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:56 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Best you can expect out of the 3820 folding wise is about 45-47K ppd @ 4.6GHz, 3770K can hit over 50-54K ppd on the same WU's at the same 4.6GHz & lower power consumption... Like I mentioned in your build thread, the 3770K is a better CPU in every possible way... But at least you have the option to upgrade to Ivy Bridge E in 9.5 months!!! Of course those numbers are only from a few select WU's worth 600 points before bonuses, and a fairly high overclock.

More realistically, you should see 22k - 34k ppd (depending on WU's folded) from the 3820 if you manage to reach 4.6GHz - that's running the Windows Client version 7.2.9. Hell, even my 3930K only averaged about 35-45K ppd with a modest overclock to 4.4GHz & that's with 50% more threads running (12 Vs 8) than the 3820, though on those aforementioned 600 pointers @ 4.6GHz I was hitting right at 87K ppd!

Good news on the 670, Gero is a bit low on his estimate, your ppd on the low side should be around 28-30K ppd on the current 3,874 point Work Units (I'm hitting 26,800 on an overclocked 660Ti), & on the high side ~45-47K ppd on the 14,093 point Work Units.

All-in all, there's a lot of folks gonna be wishing they had that kind of folding muscle under their belts !!! Congrats on the build & welcome back into the "Fold"... pun intended :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:10 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

So I have the new comp up and running for a week and a half now and so far so good. I have her OC'ed to 4.6 and she is stable as a rock! Just wanted to show you guys the temps I'm running at and make sure they are all good. The GPU amazes me running at 100% load for HOURS and staying at 55*C. The CPU is staying at 73 to 76*C across the cores, and that is OC'ed a full GHz! She isn't working on a particularly good set of WU's at the moment but I've been seeing a PPD of 68,000-ish in F@HControl.

Are these temps good or even acceptable for 100% load and OC'ed to 4.6GHz I have a Corsair Carbide 400R case and I added 2 side intake fans and 1 exhaust fan on the top panel. That is 6 case fans, 2 fans built into the mobo, the PSU fan, CPU fan, and GPU fan. She is pretty quite most of the time but the noise does ratchet up when she's folding and the wife decides to turn the A/C off without telling me...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:39 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Lax, I think your temps are OK. I believe you have more thermal headroom with the GPUs than you do your CPU. TJ Max on the Core i7 processors is higher than what earlier chips were typically safe with, but I think you are close to what you want to run 24/7. There is a free program similar to your Core Temp called Real Temp that actually shows you current temps and distance to the TJ Max of your CPU model.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:58 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

Thank you sir! I grabbed Real Temp and I like that it shows distance to TJMax, very handy feature!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:14 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I can vauch for Real Temp as well. Works well.

I've got some new hardware too :twisted:
Nothing too great, just swapped a GTS 450 for a GTX 650 Ti. I'm currently getting ~14k PPD on the 650 and my temps are about 50 C. I'm still working on OCing the GPU (currently around 1130 MHz on the clock), so I seem to have some room there, so we'll see.

I'm thinking on a GTX 690 and am considering a new build to include it in. I would do this in leiu of building a big adv rig (overall cost seems pretty similar). From what I've seen, the PPD/W looks pretty good on a 690 (~300 Watts)