Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: New to Folding? Please stop here for orientation.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:30 am 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

Barryfla wrote:
Hello all: how do i know if the work my computer is doing is being sent? also how long does it take to process the information
it downloads. My stats on computer are AMD Athlon2 x4 630 2.8 ghz , 4 GB ram, windows 7 64-bit, Nvidia geforce 210, Asus M4a79xtd evo MB and, Folding version 6.23. I know not much of a videocard, but I'm not a gamer.

I believe the server collects up work every three hours

Your production will show under your chosen name about an hour later

You will also show in the new folders area on the team summary page.

Enjoy folding for the cures along with teams all over the world and lots of great folks.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... s=&t=11108
Team summary page
Search box for your name on left

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:46 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

And a "Hello" to you, barryfla!

I checked the EOC stats and don't see any folders with your username.

Either you are folding under another name (maybe this is you?), or nothing has been received & credited by Stanford.

If you have any questions, feel free to start a new thread and someone helpful will chime in.

Welcome to the team!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:05 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

Hello guys.

I'm new to Maximum PC but I'm not new to folding@home. I have been folding for close to a year and a half.

Full_Taoer knows me from w7forums. I currently fold for several teams and plan to donate some to Maximum PC.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:11 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
well were dam glad to have you, enjoy the team and the forums.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:14 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Welcome to my home base, Clifford! Glad to have you join us, even if only for Rose. But you're welcome here anytime.

A little background on Clifford: He started with one team (can't remember which) and decided to start a new one at Windows 7 Forums. I stumbled upon their forum while Googling for a solution to a folding question I had. Clifford created how-to guides for his team and was answering their questions. They set goals for their team and celebrated the self-imposed milestones. They seemed like nice people, so I posted a couple of times, offering a couple of tips along the way. Their team, along with the help of some folders from EVGA, have marched the team up the rankings and are currently the # 350th ranked team.

If you any of you venture over there, you are sure to get a warm welcome, as I did. Like most in folding, they do it for a cure. I'm glad to know them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:40 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

Full_Taoer wrote:
Welcome to my home base, Clifford! Glad to have you join us, even if only for Rose. But you're welcome here anytime.
Thanks for the welcome everyone. :)

After the marathon for Rose, :arrow: I will want to fold under my own name to. :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:40 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

clifford_cooley wrote:
Full_Taoer wrote:
Thanks for the welcome everyone. :)

After the marathon for Rose, :arrow: I will want to fold under my own name to. :D :D

Glad to see you over here!
Seen you around EVGA for quite some time, never ventured over to the win7 forum yet though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:00 pm 

Hey all! My name is Steve and I've been interested in this project for many years back when I first read about it in WIRED magazine.
I have an insane amount of bandwidth and computing infrastructure here at UNLV and I would like to say that I can be a major contributor to your team. I am asking any users of your team for help in getting established (point A to Z) and maximizing my contribution to your team. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Currently I employ a University connection here at the University of Nevada Las Vegas and an insane amount of top end infrastructure including powerful Optiplex, and Precision model PC's and very nice server infrastructure with alot of overhead to spare.

Hit me up and let me know how I can help!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:35 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

Rydh2o wrote:
Hey all! My name is Steve and I've been interested in this project for many years back when I first read about it in WIRED magazine.
I have an insane amount of bandwidth and computing infrastructure here at UNLV and I would like to say that I can be a major contributor to your team. I am asking any users of your team for help in getting established (point A to Z) and maximizing my contribution to your team. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Currently I employ a University connection here at the University of Nevada Las Vegas and an insane amount of top end infrastructure including powerful Optiplex, and Precision model PC's and very nice server infrastructure with alot of overhead to spare.

Rydh2o

WOW sounds great but I am not the one that can help you. Your requested questions are beyond what I can help you with. We have the expertise on this team and someone will be by to answer any questions soon.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:12 pm 

All setup and running the FAH client on 2 PC's so far.
Registered user is: Rydh2o
Passkey generated and I am using it.

One PC is a Sager Laptop (Clevo W170HR). Specs Posted below:

Intel® Core™ i7 2nd generation socket G2 mobile processor
8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Intel® GMA HD / NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 550M 2GB Graphics
500GB Seagate Momentus XT (Hybrid SSD)

Other PC is a Dell Optiplex 990. Specs posted below:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
4GB DDR3 1600MHz
AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series 1024MB
500GB Seagate ST3250312AS

I have a Dell Precision T7500 with Dual nVidia Quaddro cards (Beastly Beasts :twisted: ) Dual Xeon processors and 64gigs of memory I may tackle next.
I have an enterprise cloud server running vSphere with ESXi with many pooled brand new Dell Poweredge servers and alot of overhead to spare.
About 40-50 more Dell Optiplex 990s 360s 380s and 755s (with Xeon processors) I plan on ultimately getting up on this project.
Don't know if it matters but the overhead in bandwidth is nearly limitless.

Just hoping for the best way to implement all of this computing power for this project. Want to maybe branch out across UNLV with this in the future as well. But for now I am mainly wondering if it is as simple as installing the client on all of these systems and go or if there are betters ways to maximize efficiency for these tasks!
Can't wait to contribute. Personal reasons abound and hoping to get UNLV on the bandwagon to finding cures!

If anyone wants to reach me on Linkedin to collaborate or get some ideas hit me up!

www.linkedin.com/pub/steven-peyton/59/271/b56

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:16 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Rydh2o wrote:

Here's the catch, to run Folding @ Home on business/school hardware, you must have permission from the owner of the hardware in order to run Folding @ Home. Check out the FAQ's directly from Stanford: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-Policies A lot of businesses & schools will not allow Folding on their hardware due to the added net traffic and added electricity usage. A single low-power PC running Folding @ Home & maxing out at 150Watts will still use 1,314kWh of electricity per year if run 24/7/365, even at just $0.06 per kWh, that's still almost $80 a year for one PC. Sure that sounds cheap, until you figure in your actual cost per kWh (most places are higher than $0.06 per kWh), and multiple PC's.

Still if you can obtain permission, even for limited use, it could be of great benefit to the team and to the project as a whole. Good luck!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:27 pm 

I appreciate the info and yes I have already received permission from my director and we are good to go. We plan on doing a little bit of PR around it and with enough support we may even branch off into our own team in the future if we can get support from other departments. I work as the IT Administrator for the facilities management department here at UNLV and power and utility costs are our forte. Definitely going to come up in our meetings about this in the near future but for now it is a go so I appreciate your bit on the cost as well. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:28 pm 

Hello! I am a new folder, lol, and just wanted to post my opinion on this guide. It was very informative and when I get a chance I plan to follow all of the suggestions. I would note that the info about the clients seems to be out of date. I downloaded the win32 FAHClient and it has the GPU Folding options built in. I hope to contribute my idle processes and help find cures for diseases and build a healthier future for us all! :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:27 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)
Monkey Federation (Top 10)

Jyoung546 wrote:
Hello! I am a new folder, lol, and just wanted to post my opinion on this guide. It was very informative and when I get a chance I plan to follow all of the suggestions. I would note that the info about the clients seems to be out of date. I downloaded the win32 FAHClient and it has the GPU Folding options built in. I hope to contribute my idle processes and help find cures for diseases and build a healthier future for us all! :D

WELCOME Jyoung546 and thank you for your contribution.

Yes you are correct this guide is a fair bit out of date, as you have noted. However I'm happy to see it hasn't deterred you any!

Are you folding under Jyoung or another name as I for one would love to watch your progress up the ranks!

Remember Every Fold Counts :!:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:24 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Not new but as been a while just picked up a new (to me atleast) PC and thought about folding as I'll leave it on all night. wanted to see what's changed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:03 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Robertjvan wrote:
Not new but as been a while just picked up a new (to me atleast) PC and thought about folding as I'll leave it on all night. wanted to see what's changed.
I replied to you over in the Private Clubhouse, but oddly my message (still) requires moderation. Anyway, welcome back to the forum and good luck with the new-to-you equipment!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:01 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

I have been folding for a couple of years here, but don't read the forums. I do have a question about which client to use. I just upgraded my system to an AMD FX 6350 6 core processor and a pny Geforce GTX 750ti, and 16 gigs of corcair dominator ram. I am running the 7.4.4 version of folding is there a better one to use on my system?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:46 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Greetings and welcome to the forum, Barryfla!

You didn't mention your OS, but I assume it is some version of Windows. Regardless, looking at the download page at the Stanford site, all of the flavors are on the same release version, 7.4.4.

Generally, if you have the latest version, you have the best version to use. They have some dedicated beta testers that put the clients through their paces before they release them to the wild.

If you ever have any questions, don't be afraid to start a new thread and you will have a few people come by with answers. Good luck with your folding and thanks for supporting the project!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10