Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Intel Integrated Graphics in Dell 2400
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:21 pm 

I just bought a Dell Dimension 2400 with a Celeron 2.4gig processor, 512 meg DR SDRAM@333mhz, 80gig h/d, and Integrated Intel 3D AGP graphics. I can't run HL2 and the pc hangs every time. I'm told the integrated graphics can't handle the job (no surprise). I'm also told that adding a decent video card is tricky - something about dummying the system into thinking it has two monitors(???). I really need some help/advise about installing a decent video card so I can run HL2. Some advise about a good card to stick in the system would be a big help too. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Post subject: Re: Intel Integrated Graphics in Dell 2400
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 2:39 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Tarkio wrote:
I just bought a Dell Dimension 2400 with a Celeron 2.4gig processor, 512 meg DR SDRAM@333mhz, 80gig h/d, and Integrated Intel 3D AGP graphics. I can't run HL2 and the pc hangs every time. I'm told the integrated graphics can't handle the job (no surprise). I'm also told that adding a decent video card is tricky - something about dummying the system into thinking it has two monitors(???). I really need some help/advise about installing a decent video card so I can run HL2. Some advise about a good card to stick in the system would be a big help too. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

I think you're SOL on the video card, for I was looking at the specs and it doesn't look like you have a AGP slot for a Video Card (Although I'm not 100% sure on this, maybe someone else can shed some light on this). You can tell by opening the case and if you have a AGP slot it will be the very first one and offset from the other PCI slots, if you don't have one then you are definitely SOL on upgrading video card. FYI - Celerons aren't meant for gaming, so this computer is basically meant for school/work/surfing the internet.
:cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:03 pm 

Thanks ( :cry: sniff). I guess I'll use it for a while and then
give it to my boy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:02 am 

Well, who exactly TOLD you this information? If it was Dell themselves, then I think they're just trying to sucker you out of upgrading the graphics yourself. Then again, that's just my opinion. The computer I'm using doesn't even HAVE an AGP slot.

The first thing you have to do is figure out if opening up your Dell will void the warranty (if you even got a warranty?) or not. If it voids the warranty, you'll have to ask if you could have a professional or someone from Dell install it for you. If they say you can open it without taking away the warranty, then if you know what you're doing, go for it.

If you're one of those other people, like my mom, and have no idea about what goes into what, then it's still a good idea to leave it to someone who knows how to work with that kind of stuff.

I was thinking of getting a Dell but that whole integrated graphics thing turned me away from them. Plus I've heard some tech support horror stories. Hope this helps.

Post subject: Re: Intel Integrated Graphics in Dell 2400
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:29 am 
Celeron
Celeron

Tarkio wrote:

You should be fine with a drop-in PCI FX5200. Just run HL2 in DX8 mode.

And wtfux "tricking system into thinking it has two monitors"? Just a pile of horse crap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:39 pm 
Team Member/ Ex-Team Member/ Team Member
Team Member/ Ex-Team Member/ Team Member

You will need to disable the onboard graphics first. http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_video&message.id=81817
Go to the 6th line down for instructions on disabeling the onboard graphics.