It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Amiga 500 to give away to a good home
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:08 am 
Willamette
Willamette

[moved from free clinic...musta been spazzing when I posted originally]

Howdy

I was given by a customer of mine a Commodore Amiga 500 plus a few peripherals. These belonged to his son, who died some time back. As far as I can tell, the son was basically my age, and a few of my friends knew him, though I never did. From all I hear about Guy, I think he could easily have been 'one of us'. I think the father has taken a liking to me because he and I have a common interest in aviation and model planes.

Anyway he called me to ask if he should throw these things out, and I knew in the sound of his voice he probably didnt really want to just toss them to the curb, so I told him I may be able to find a use/home for them.

Anyway where this is, to me at least, a kind of sentimental type of situation, I wouldnt feel right taking money for these things, but I would like to see them go to a hobbyist who'll put them to actual use, as oppposed to just toss them in the closet for the sake of saying he owns them, or sell them for profit (not that the thing seems to be worth much anyway according to ebay).

So for those who are seriously interested, use the contact member thing in this forum or my real email is

ted at NOSPAMREMOVECAPSdelphinuscomputers dot com.

I'd need you to pay the shipping fees, which will be probably on the higher side given the size/weight of the thing.

The items to go are

Commodore Amiga 500 (this is just the unit itself in the original box. No cables or power supply unit so Im not even sure I can test it unless someone can tell me it takes the same power as a C64, which I do have).

Master 3A-1 'compatible disk drive' - basically a 3 1/2 inch external 880kb floppy.

Something called a 'Trumpcard 500 AT' which looks like some kind of card or cartridge reader.

A Commodore C2N Datasette recorder

An Excelerator Plus external 5 1/4 floppy drive. No cabling with it but this thing still has the cardboard 'remove this at operation' head protector in it, so assume it was working fine when stored. No idea as to capacity of the unit.

EDIT - also I have here 2 games for it. Falcon (the original) from Spectrum Holobyte and also Harpoon. Boxes n documentation all present.

So....if interested please drop me a line or two detailing what your intentions are with this stuff. I'll ship it to the person who seems like they'll get the most enjoyment out of it. I think that's how Guy would have liked it.

BY the way, just in case anyone not sure they can trust me on this, check my eBay feedback which is tedUNDERSCOREthomas. I've got a few feedbacks there from buyers I've sold to so that ought to be some testament to my character.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:23 pm 
I am not my computer's stats
I am not my computer's stats

http://www.maximumpc.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=

Reguarding the fact that you wanted as many people to see it, do not double post. It is against the rules. If people wanted to check something, they would look in the Apraisal Forum. Oddly enough, it isnt for selling anyway.

Rule #4
http://www.maximumpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20
4. Don't try to buy or sell anything here. The Appraisal Table is for, oddly enough, appraisals only.

Though if someone did see it and wanted to purchase, they would privately contact you.

Please refrain from selling and double posting...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:32 am 
Willamette
Willamette

maxxpc wrote:
http://www.maximumpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5546&highlight=

Reguarding the fact that you wanted as many people to see it, do not double post. It is against the rules. If people wanted to check something, they would look in the Apraisal Forum. Oddly enough, it isnt for selling anyway.

Rule #4
http://www.maximumpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20
4. Don't try to buy or sell anything here. The Appraisal Table is for, oddly enough, appraisals only.

Though if someone did see it and wanted to purchase, they would privately contact you.

Please refrain from selling and double posting...

Ok, mea culpa on the double post, but im NOT selling this, as the post clearly states (did you actually read it all?). And as for the double post, I think, if I do say so myself, what I'm doing is kind of a meaningful thing, and I'd like to see this machine well placed somewhere.

The PC experience should be more than just the latest greatest benchmarks, and this forum/community should be about us coming together and getting to know each other better. It should be able to accomodate someone picking up this older machine and in some small way maybe just for 2 seconds, thinking about where it came from and remembering a fellow enthusiast somewhere who is gone now.