Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: worth upgrading?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:34 pm 

Hey folks! I'm not really sure if this is the proper forum, but here goes. I've got a 300 MHz PII, 128mb EDO (!) RAM, TNT II... pretty much an ancient computer. Oh yeah, I think I need to mention that the soundcard is a POS (Diamond Sonic Impact). I believe that the card is over-utilizing the CPU and PCI bus, and dragging the whole machine down with it. I could probably pick up a better-but-used soundcard for $5-10, but again I wonder if it's worth the trouble. I'm wondering if any of you think it's worth upgrading the RAM and soundcard. I keep thinking that I'll get the money together to build my own NEW box, but it never happens. Meanwhile, my computer gets older, and older ...and /older/.

Since it's running EDO RAM, I need to buy sticks in pairs, which run about $40/pair for 128mb sticks. The way I figure it, the whole damn box is barely worth that much. Should I continue to wait for that day when I can afford a new box (which may never come, it seems), or should I pour a few bucks into this thing? I have no illusions that this computer is going to be magically be transformed into a fire-breathing beast, but if I could buy some more time...

Thanks!
~S~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:38 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

probably wrong place but i would suggest getting a whole new comp...i dont thin you could upgrade that much....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:27 am 

That's kind of what I figured. Thanks.

~S~