Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Best of the Very Best...750w
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:32 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

If you're shopping for a fantabulous psu that is dripping with all the desire and accoutrements of the present, this Seasonic is it for $120. The nEgg sale ends today.

Post subject: Re: Best of the Very Best...750w
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:51 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Nice, especially since it's modular, but I'll still take my PC Power & Cooling Silencer MkII 750W now just $93.50 before $20 M.I.R. Silencer has a 7 year warranty, slightly higher ratings on +12V (62.4A - 749W vs 62A - 744W) & +5VSB (6A vs 3A) rails, & 2% power regulation on +3.3v, +5V, & +12V rails vs 3% for the Seasonic.

Both are excellent choices... if you want to go modular & don't mind spending a little extra $$$ the Seasonic is definitely a hit.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:37 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

As you likely know, the innards of your Silencer is in fact Seasonic. Always thought it peculiar that OCZ amped up the warranty 2 years. Makes it appear at face value that they give more cred to Seasonic guts than they do themselves. Anyway, along with active PFC'ing the extra greenbacks get you Gold and the coveted Sanyo Denki San Ace PWM Silent Fan. It alone is probably $35, yet the real nicety is than it doesn't spin on anything <20% load. As you say, an owner can't lose with either.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:25 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

kleinkinstein wrote:
As you likely know, the innards of your Silencer is in fact Seasonic. Always thought it peculiar that OCZ amped up the warranty 2 years. Makes it appear at face value that they give more cred to Seasonic guts than they do themselves. Anyway, along with active PFC'ing the extra greenbacks get you Gold and the coveted Sanyo Denki San Ace PWM Silent Fan. It alone is probably $35, yet the real nicety is than it doesn't spin on anything <20% load. As you say, an owner can't lose with either.

OCZ does utilize Seasonic & others for their OCZ brand PSU's, but supposedly not the PC Power & Cooling PSU's... OCZ didn't just buy the name, & from what I hear (from an industry insider who has been right about 85% of the time), the Silencer series are still being built at the same factory that built the original Silencer line before the buyout. Besides, I doubt anyone would add 2 years of additional warranty to a product that the original manufacturer only warrants for 5 years, at least not without a significant price boost, which I'm not seeing...

I also hear that if you're in the San Diego CA area, you can still tour the PCP&C factory. Now that's not to say that they don't buy the parts from Seasonic & just assemble them in the factory, or just package pre-assembled PSU's in the factory, but there are enough differences between them to suggest that this is not what they are doing.
80 plus org report for Silencer MkII
80 Plus Org report for the Seasonic

I've looked for solid information, one way or the other on the PCP&C PSU's, but haven't found anything beyond forum speculations, so if you know of anything out there, please link it so I can check it out for myself :)

BTW... I hope you don't get burned out on posting all these great deals you've been spotting, I managed to get myself one of those $100 Vertex 4 128GB SSD's because of your post a couple weeks back :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:01 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

My bad, this particular model is made by Highpower. Which is a ho-hum brand by all accounts, but they are likely using top drawer components for that 7 year guarantee.

Enjoy that Vertex. I'm swapping all my 128's with 256's and 512 830's as prices tumble.