Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Am I overpricing this?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:06 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hey All,
Wondering if you think I'm overpricing my rig I put on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/170709897876?ss ... 548wt_1374 I based the value on the current mobo value, card value and how much I paid for it when I built it.

Post subject: Re: Am I overpricing this?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:01 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Quote:
Selling because I've come to realize a Mac will fit my needs better :S

Not gonna win a lot fans with this statement. lol, jk. And Holy jumbled cable mess batman!

First off, you need to learn how to properly sell stuff on ebay. There's lots of tutorials and guides, even directly from ebay themselves. The biggest thing that is hindering your listing is the very generic title. "Server/PC with high end graphics card" is not going to win the hearts and minds of people looking in this category and again, your jumbled cabled interior "glamour" shot of the PC is not going to win any beauty awards, specially if that's your only photo/display photo when being listed.

Put up descriptions about the parts in your title, you have lots of characters to use in you title, more if you opt to buy a sub title. Post that its a dual cpu opteron 6128 workstation and that it has 12gb of ddr3 1333 ram with a 5870 6 eyefinity card. Look how other people are setting up their PC selling tabs and you can always google for free ebay templates.

Even though you got some decent parts in this rig, I highly doubt you will find anyone willing to spend more than 1300 for it used. My advice is to part it out. As a workstation, some of the components seem lack luster while others you just went balls out for no reason. You don't need a 1200w Antec PSU that' rated to power three 580's in this PC.

The 5870 6 eyefinity gaming, while a great card, is also a mixed choice as a workstation card unless you need 6 displays off of one card; personally nvidia cards are usually better tasked since they have CUDA, but even then, I would have paired this system with a proper workstation card like Firepro or quadro, but it still depends on the applications you were using this rig for.

12GB may seem like a lot in gaming computers, but for workstations, that's crazy low. The mobo you selected caps at 256GB so why not even put 32GB in this system if you were willing to pay $400+ for the mobo and $200+ per cpu?

And do you not have normal hard drives in this? You only have an old 32GB ssd listed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:32 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hey Thanks for the info. I'll have to work on it and think about if I wanna go thru the effort of parting it. And for your last question I have hdds in it. I'm just not selling em ;) 2 TB in it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:19 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Honestly, no one is going to buy a workstation that only has a 32gb last gen ssd and no storage. 2tb drives are cheap, just include it in the sale if you just want to push the system out the door.

Personally, since this workstation has a very specific purpose, I would try to sell it on some sort of content forum like for video editing, 3d modeling and such. Or even some tech forums that IT people go to. The mobo and cpu's could be easily offloaded since they were designed for a server setting, like in a 2u chassis (maybe 1u, but haven't looked at them and highly doubt it). You could probably offload the ram at the same time, but just 12gb of ecc registered ddr3 1333 ram is just an odd thing to buy at once, not even an even number of sticks.

Throw the antec on a gaming forum classifieds and it should go pretty fast; same with the 5870 since it's still a good card and one of the few that supports eyefinity 6, but you'll take a big hit since they are probably around the $250 value. Then the only other piece that's worth a damn is the blu-ray burner.

The rest of the system is pretty worthless so I wouldn't expect too much money from them. Try to sell the big items like the case locally, shouldn't be to difficult to sell a generic gaming case for cheap on craigslist.