Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Quoting an old to sell and upgrade to the new
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:49 am 

I have a pretty powerful computer that I am trying to replace and get some cash out of it at the end. These are the specs for my current machine.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz G0
Memory: 4GB DDR2 800Mhz PC6400
Graphics Card: XFX GeForce GTX 275
Motherboard: XFX nForce 680i LT SLI
TV Catpure Card: Pinnacle PCTV HD 800i
Optical Drive: LG BDROM + HDDVD Drive
Hard Drive: Seagate 320GB
Chassis: NZXT Zero 2 Full Tower Case
PSU: Ultra 800 Watt Modular Power Supply
Additional Fans: 4 120mm Blue LED Antec fans w/speed controls

This computer is about a year old and custom built by myself. There are only 2 issues with the computer. The first is that during bootup, the graphics card makes a fan sputter but as Windows loads, the fan noise gradually decreases and the fan is still spinning. The other issue is taht Windows 7 RC1 is currently installed and as the release candidate will do, it will shut down every 2 hours starting in March and ultimately stop being active in June of 2010. I have spent nearly $1500 on this computer and cummulatively bought pieces over the last year.

Here is the computer I wish to replace it with
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=4928

This has double the memory, faster memory, faster processor speed, larger hard drive, and a permanent copy of Windows 7 64-bit. It also has a year warranty I will most likely extend. As posted on Tigerdirect.com, this new computer is about $750.

I'm looking for a stable quotation of my computer as the reasonable price to sell it for. On top of that, I would like any opinions on the replacement computer as well as any suggestions on other computers to find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:51 am 
Million Club 5+ [PC]*
Million Club 5+ [PC]*

I moved this thread to the appraisal section, make a separate thread for your new computer buying questions in the HMB/HMB section

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:56 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

I would sell that computer for around $650. However, that Gateway that you picked out is way worse than your current computer for gaming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:54 am 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

have to ask,
why would you buy a store built pc?

you have the basis for a good upgrade already
keep the case
the video card while not the top of the line was a good one, you probably just need to clean the dust bunnies out of the fan from the sound of it

anyway, just my .02 cents(.03 canadian) that you would be better building than buying

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:12 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

an appliance pc? Really? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:24 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

I don't see why you would ever ditch your current setup for that prebuilt. Unless you run only single-threaded apps, you will be unpleasantly surprised with the PC you're looking at buying... the Core i5-650 is a dual-core, and the GeForce G310 is slow as all get-out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:59 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Not to mention , if you stick to recommended mfr's, About the shortest component warranty will be 3 years (maybe 2 at worst) at no extra cost. If you really want it, you can add a year or two extended warranty to critical core components such as the motherboard, video cards and CPU. You can do this with Newegg for a fraction of the cost of an OEM or reseller. From what I have seen Newegg is much more reliable than most. Though with XFX video cards their double lifetime warranty is beyond reproach. Likewise your better memory suppliers.

DIY gets you exactly what you want with no "suitable substitutes" due to the advertised unit being "out of stock". You get full featured Bios with the mobo. And the list goes on.