Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ] 
 Post subject: ASKING FOR HELP AND DONATIONS...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:46 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Hey all,

I'm a computer do it yourselfer, and I built my computer through donations from good people like yourself. I have no funds, so unfortunately I have no money to pay for any donations. However, I'm just barely getting by and with donations so far, people have given cases to me, fans no longer needed, even semi-old motherboards that I could use.
I know I'm asking a lot, but I am looking to upgrade to a more powerful computer, and so far I was able to get enough parts to fashion together a 1.8 ghz Intel computer with a 40 gig harddrive and an old Kyro 64 meg vid card and an audigy sound card. I went through scrap dumps and also through the generosity of other peoples donations. But now, I've been banned from the dumps due to new laws prohibiting me from salvaging in the dumps, and lately donations from other sources have been low.
I could use new cases, fans, motherboards, CPU's, hard drives, media drives, cables, anything you think you could spare.
I know this is Maximum PC and you guys think top of the line, but if anyone could part with sending any parts you could help me out with it would be great.

If ANYONE could send any parts my way, please contact me at agnjoe1@yahoo.com. Please don't laugh or send hate mail. I'm just a guy that loves computers, and loves to tinker with them so I can get the best I can with what I got.

Thanks again for your time and God bless,

A Guy Named Joe
aka
Joe Zeug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:40 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Are you were willing to trade some of your parts to others less fortunate? There are forums that have subforums set up for trades, you'd have to google.

Are you folding with your machine(s)?

Post subject: If someone could direct me to them, heck yeah!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:08 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

If someone could direct me to them, absolutely, I'd be willing to donate what I could.
Also, I got a message from TWBalls asking about previous posts I made earlier in the year, about me wanting to spend money to buy new parts. He was suspicious about me possibly putting up a scam, so I replied to him as well. Here was my e-mail response to him, and I'll post it so everyone can see...

I understand your suspicion, TW.

Let me fill you in on my situation.

I was considering buying a new computer. However, I am not a savy person when it comes to the bills. So my wife normally does them for us. Unfortunately, I recently found out we owe a LOT more money than normal when it comes to our bills that what she lead me to believe. It's not that she was leading me on and trying to hide them deliberately, it's just that she was trying to protect me, because if I found out, she thought I would flip out and get mad.
Well, I was upset, however, I didn't flip out on her, and now I'm paying attention to our bill situation, which isn't good. We've agreed to share the responsibility of bill paying together, and that means paying them off. Which means for me that I'll be sacrificing buying the computer upgrade I wanted, and it meant back to the junkyards.
However, now the junkyards have banned anyone in our area from getting anything whatsoever regarding computer related materials, and my other place I got computer parts was a recycle place I used to get computer parts from no longer will allow me to take anything.
So my options are gone now to upgrade, so I have to find alternate options to upgrade.

I'm not trying to scam anyone, it's just that I've fallen on hard times, and I'm trying to get by with what I can.

I hope you understand, and thanks for asking.

God bless,

A Guy Named Joe

I hope that helps explain my situation more as to why I was inquiring previously in earlier posts to buy a computer before. If anyone has any advice, questions, or replies, please let me know at agnjoe1@yahoo.com.
I'll take any advice given, as I'm trying to improve my situation.

Thank again.

AGN Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:01 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I would donate, but I am using my spare parts to make a Folding PC...

Post subject: Folding PC?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:09 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

A folding PC? I've never heard of that term. What's a folding PC?

AGN Joe

Post subject: Re: Folding PC?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:55 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

A Guy Named Joe wrote:
A folding PC? I've never heard of that term. What's a folding PC?

It's usually a PC that's dedicated to running Folding at home. We have a section of the forum set up for FAH discussion if you're interested.

In fact, when I donate parts that's part of my requirement, that they go in a PC that's going to be left on and folding 24/7. I don't mind if it gets temporarily shutdown/paused if you're doing something CPU intensive like Gaming or video encoding, but afterwards folding should resume.

I'm still looking into parts for you. I'm talking with my brother as he's wanting to buy a new PC. If I get his parts back, I'll have some to donate. If not, I probably won't have anything worth your while. So, cross your fingers. :)

Post subject: Ahhh! I see said the blind man.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:49 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Yeah, my computer is already set to the SETI@home.com project right now, but I heard of this one as well. A friend of mine had a rare form of cancer, and when he died, his last request was to leave his computer on so his mom and dad could leave it set up as a Folding computer.
Pretty sad, but his mom and dad like the idea that the computer is constantly on a cable modem running for the Folding project. It helps them keep his memory alive, which is a cool idea.

Thanks for the info, TW. I might just make my next computer I build strictly run that next if that is the case so I can have that run in it's spare time.

AGN Joe

Post subject: Re: Ahhh! I see said the blind man.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:35 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

A Guy Named Joe wrote:
Yeah, my computer is already set to the SETI@home.com project right now, but I heard of this one as well. A friend of mine had a rare form of cancer, and when he died, his last request was to leave his computer on so his mom and dad could leave it set up as a Folding computer.
Pretty sad, but his mom and dad like the idea that the computer is constantly on a cable modem running for the Folding project. It helps them keep his memory alive, which is a cool idea

You have a personal conenction like that and you're wasting your spare CPU power on SETI?!?!?!?!?

Post subject: Actually it's a DSL connection for 384k...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:54 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Actually it's a DSL connection for 384k, and I believe in space exploration very much. And while I agree, that Folding is a great project, I think SETI is a good project as well.
Nothing personal, SpiderMonkey. I just like SETI.

AGN Joe

P.S. I will however, donate whatever parts I can though to the Folding project to help out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:57 am 
Team Member
Team Member

SPIDER ISNT TALKING ABOUT INTERNET CONNECTION!!!

EMOTIONAL CONNECTION!!!

Post subject: I know...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:28 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I know. It's just that I do have an emotional connection with the SETI program because I believe in it very much. But the Folding project also pulls at my heart strings as well because I believe in it as well, so I'm conflicted. :-|

Anyway, I need to send out thanks to an anonymous helper out there. Someone sent me an old ATI Sapphire 9600 256Mb Pro video card out there, which was really nice of you guys, whomever it was. However, I did a bit of research and the mobo I have cannot support the 8x AGP card because I have a 8-IDX Gigabite mobo, and it's a version 1.0 so it only supports 4x AGP cards at best. So if I were to use this card, I'd have to get a new Intel Mobo at least so I can put my 1.8 Ghz celeron on this new Mobo that would allow an 8x AGP card, or if someone would be kind enough to send me an AMD mobo with a CPU on it.
Also thank to TWBalls for replying and offering to help out as well.
I'll take any parts I can get, and once I have enough parts to upgrade to a newer model, all my older parts will be donated to anyone that needs the parts for a folding computer or needs to upgrade to a better one.
It's really amazing to see how great some of this community of computer users are out there to help me out, and from a poor guy like myself trying to get by, it means a whole lot more than you'll ever know.

Thanks,

AGN Joe

Post subject: Bumping this up for a reason...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:53 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Hey guys! I'm just wanted to let you all know I'm bumping this up for a reason. I have a new website that I've created after weeks of trying to learn how to do HTML and CSS coding.

I'm asking everyone to please check my new website. I know this is a bit off topic, and I would normally never post this but I am in desperate times, and desperate times call for desperate measures. So please check out my website.

http://www.geocities.com/agnjoe1

Thanks,

AGN Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:28 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Hmm...

Cure terminal illnesses, which kill tons of people every year all over the world

--OR--

Find space aliens who can cure all our current diseases and inflict upon us millions of their own!

Hmm... as with Sprint PCS, the choice is clear.

Post subject: Ok, OK! You win.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:01 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Alright Thug, you've won me over.

As soon as I get home tonight, I'll be uploading the Folding @ Home stuff so I can be a member too.

I think curing diseases is more important that finding alien life. So as soon as I get home, Folding will be going on my computer at home.

:D

AGN Joe

P.S. Please check out the website, and if you have any parts to donate to me, pleae let me know. I can use anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:50 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

That Radeon 9600 should work just fine in your current mobo, it would just run at AGP 4X speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:00 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Joe i feel bad but im poor to. but no body to support but numero uno 8) . God luck and god bless.

Post subject: To willah...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:23 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

To willah,

I checked on that vid card a while back and I apologize for not responding right away. The car wouldn't work because of the different voltages on my mobo, as I can only use AGP 4x and the card is an AGP 8x. Because of the different voltages, I sold the card to a friend of mine, for some cash to help me raise some money.

Also, because of recent posts regarding my website, I like to request from the mods that this thread be locked, so as to not cause any more controversy. I don't want to cause any more trouble.

If anyone would like to donate any parts, you can PM me or send me an e-mail at agnjoe1@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

AGN Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:38 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Yeah, Colby did lay the smakdown to that thread, too bad you had to get a whole bunch of trolling bitches, I admire your ability to restrain from flaming them.... Didn't you say you got $30 for the card? You should have put it in the classifieds of the local newspaper or something and you could have gotten ~100-150 for it proably.

I don't know much about the whole AGP 1.0, 2.0 and stuff and their respective voltages, but I own an Asus A7V133 mobo with a GeForce FX5500 (which is an AGP8x part) and it is backwards compatible to AGP 4x which is the max my board supports, and I thought all current cards ('cept for PCI-E obviously) that were AGP 8x compliant could work with 4x as well. Oh well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:40 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Well, I respect that people have a right to their opinion and I'm not going to piss and moan about it. As you get older, I've found that stuff like some people like having to blow out other people's candles in order to make themselves seem brighter only makes their souls darker.
As for the card, I figure my friend has done tons of things for me lately and me giving the card to him at that price was a gift to say thank you. I would have given it to him for free because he needed it, but he knew of my situation and he absolutely wouldn't take no for an answer and gave me at least 30 bucks for the card, so he's happy, and I'm happy the money was put to good use.

I would have loved to have used the card though, however, that card I believe has a 1.5 volt rating on the card, and the mobo I have at the time used AGP 4x 3.3 volt. Putting that card in there would have destroyed the card and possibly my mobo as well. So for now, I'll make due.

Thanks,

AGN Joe

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]