Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Best of the Best Change
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:55 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I Propose a change to the video card section of Best of the Best, in the same vein as the CPU breakdown, by price...

i.e. Extreme Performance VC
Best $350+ VC
Best $250-$349 VC
Best $150-$249 VC
Best $100-$149 VC
Best $75-$99 VC

or something similar...

Currently, I have a budget of $90-$100 including shipping & I want the best card I can get to replace a 7950GT that's starting to give me problems, the BotB doesn't help me.... cheapest card listed starts at $130 before price breaks, rebates, & shipping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:19 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Maybe:

Low End (<$150) aka 4870
Middle End ($150 - $250) aka 4890
High End ($250+) aka GTX295

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:01 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

That would enable the ability for a list that's huge, hard to basically organize, and be a time suck to manage as parts get updated/reviewed. "Best of the Best", to me, means exactly that...no "but, Best in B,C,&D categories are..."

Also, prices aren't everyone's point of evaluation on parts. They're assumed somewhere in there, but just not all weigh it the same. And with that, are they ranked in order of gaming, folding, video playback, or simply an overall result of a review? Any of those could move all over the list depending on it's usage.

This could be carried over to CPU's, Monitors, printers, motherboards, and all pieces of a computer as well. As above, GPU's are very high interest to a group, and also very low interest to another group.

These were my points against bringing it back. BOTB can only list those parts MPC has reviewed (if there's better and haven't seen it, it's not able to be on there), it can't please everyone, and it's always open to scrutiny. Myself, I just glance over it once in a while to see if they've found something I haven't, yet very seldom do. I feel it's simply "good" for those without forum accounts and mainly stick to the Magazine's side. An actual conversation in HMB/B can pretty much assure a more logical reasoning of what fits a consumer better than some generic list.