Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Best of the Best - mouse
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:31 am 

So which is it... G52 or G9x. Right hand not communicating with left hand again?

Sorry, rhetorical question. I'm just sick of the unreliability between the mag and web BOTB. Wanted to jab.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:48 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

The Internet is never wrong. Paper tends to make mistakes from time to time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:02 pm 

;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:07 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I thought best of the best was gone from the mag... humm I need to keep up moar better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:31 pm 

It was for a few months. Currently, they have a BOTB summary in the mag and the details and links to reviews on the web. I like it that way, as it draws people from the mag to the web for more info.

Problem is info is often incongruous. For example, they list the best mouse one place as the Logitech G9x and another place as the older G5 version 2. The web BOTB also had some bad links, like linking from one product to a review of an older model, etc. Haven't checked that lately to see, though.

Another "issue" is that info is slooooow to update. For example, the current mag gushes over a new full tower case that topples the Lian-Li, but the web BOTB still lists the Lian-Li.

/sigh

I love Max PC, but the BOTB needs to get it's poop together IMHO.

On the other hand, while it can frustrate me, esp when I'm making purchase decisions (I trust MPC), I also realize that these journalists work their rears off for very little money or appreciation. I work in a job where I have contact with a lot of press, including even having made a couple trips to Future (home of MPC). :) I know what a difficult, thankless job they can do at times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:18 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Phrish wrote:
Another "issue" is that info is slooooow to update. For example
Pretty much why I urged to drop it, and then to not bring it back. It's another maintenance task, and seems to be the first to be dropped from the maintenance list. But if it's gone, there'll be the same number of members urging to have it back. Oddly enough, that's someone's build list no matter what technical aspects you can bring against any part anywhere on the list. Mag says it, so it's true.

I've never seen a disclaimer of "this is just what we've tested, not what's available". And even the word "Best" is relative. There's high end CPU and Midlevel CPU, but can't split out all sections like that.

It can just be a mess. Best Mid-level is an oxymoron.