Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: small request for the best of the best page
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:04 pm 

is there any chance that you could make the parts you have listed on your best of the best page link to the part on newegg? i found the links in your $500 crysis pc build article to be pretty useful. i often go with maxpc's parts suggestions but i'm never quite sure if i got the exact part you guys are suggesting... hotlinking the best of the best parts to newegg would be pretty useful i think...

anyway, thx for the great info... been reading since the "boot" days...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:59 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

The problem with hyperlinking to NewEgg is:
1) NewEgg isn't paying MPC to do it; why not choose Tiger Direct, Amazon, etc?
2) Again MPC isn't being paid for it, so the should not favor any particular retailer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:08 pm 

i see your point, however, max pc already often quotes newegg's prices... and already linked to newegg in their $500 gaming pc that runs crysis at 40fps article. also, just because they link to the newegg part does not mean you have to buy it there. newegg is pretty specific about their part information on their item descriptions and if max pc linked to the part they are reviewing then it would prevent me from ordering the wrong stuff. there are some pretty subtle differences between part descriptions that have pretty significant impact on their kick-assedness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:39 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Links to the actual product page would work. Might break here and there as the sites are updated, but most should link correctly.

I don't see a problem this way. Just being on the best of the best is a good ad anyway, and a link to the product page isn't anymore biased than the award itself.

Obviously prices change, especially if it's on the list over 6-months. But once you get the actual P/N, that can be used on the retailer of our choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:52 am 

also, i trust a link to a vendor much more when they are not getting paid to place the link. if they have no financial incentive to recommend a vendor, but choose to do so anyway, that information is very useful to me as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:06 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

MPC isn't paid off. Having a link to Egg may give that vibe though. It'd be silly since you'd never see "MPC" on the egg for the pay off, but whatever.

To give retort to your ideal, I think vendors left out of the best of the best give that same vibe. Would an XFX be worse than an eVGA card with the same spec, but the eVGA is the one on the list? They specifically state brand, when all could be the same performance wise, others cheaper.

What's the best memory they list? Exactly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:09 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

I've always resisted this in the past for a few reasons.

One, I'm afraid if we start with Newegg, the biz types will be tempted to sell the links to a site I don't approve of.

Two, I like to not only avoid impropriety with Maximum PC, I like to avoid the appearance of impropriety too. If even a few readers come to the Best of the Best page (it's one of our most popular pages, btw), and think "Oh, Maximum PC is crooked", that's really, really bad. However, we've been testing it out lately (the $500 PC article was one place), and we haven't received any complaints so I'm rethinking my earlier position.

Let me think about it some, and I'll get back to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:17 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

LOLZ @ giving the Screwballls of the world legitimate reasons to bash on the mag and its 'bias'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:49 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

willsmith wrote:
"Oh, Maximum PC is crooked", that's really, really bad
That was a horrible, horrible time. Avoid at all costs!

And I can surely see not attaching oneself to a space. The dot-com may have passed, but no one is forever. I don't see their business model, that's for sure. Let's just cringe in the thought of if MPC gave links to Chumbo or ClubIT. Newegg isn't too big to fail either. Need some separation to retailers and manufacturers.

Best that ever lived doesn't need to live by the labels on their product. Or do they? Fiat sounds like a good company when plastered in the right places. Rossi could be wearing "Jeep" on his next bike for all I know ;)