Post subject: Hypocrite?
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:32 pm 

Regarding forum rule #10 quote " No “fanboyâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:18 pm 
Team Dino
Team Dino

Easy.

Reread said articles. They're talking about "AMD fanboys" (and have referred to "Intel fanboys" as well), not AMD users are fanboys.

Additionally in the magazine they don't have to worry about people starting flame wars/trolling. They say what they feel. That's how a magazine works.

There's also nVIdia/ATI fanboys, GigaByte/ASUSTek/MSI/etc fanboys...

I can go on and on.

I have a feeling if the word fanboy was only thrown around when accurate (just guessing it could apply here) then I'm sure it would still be permitted.

n0b0dykn0ws

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:27 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

Questions and comments come up about this rule from time to time and it has surfaced twice in as many days. Here is how I recently addressed it:

Quote:
There were a number of things that motivated the rule. There were countless post and threads where members would call other members a "fanboy" and it really got old and led to countless arguments. One of the main problems and it was not limited to AMD was when a thread was created to discuss something like for example an Intel family processor or for that matter an AMD family processor some members could not resist the urge to shove an AMD processor into an Intel thread or an Intel processor into an AMD thread. Thus countless threads derailed.

Additionally the entire fanboy thing led to flame fest over and over again. Thus to end the bullshit within the forums the Fanboy Rule came about. The rule pertains strictly to the forums and was created with good reason and intent.

Sometimes rules like this may seem foolish much like creating a law to try and stop people from texting while driving but when the forum membership starts acting like fools they create rules aimed at fools. Although the MPC Forums are sanctioned by the magazine it does not mean the forums play by the same set of rules as the magazine.

I am not defending the rule but merely saying why it came about. It was needed.

What needs to be considered is that although the MPC Forums are sanctioned by the magazine, they do not share the same rules. This is not about hypocrisy but more inline with keeping the peace. I would hope the members can understand that.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:27 am 
Northwood
Northwood

The forum is not sanctioned by the magazine. They have the same owner. In any case, their bat, their ball, and their playing field so they pretty much get to make the rules.