Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: CoolerMaster V8?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:33 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

According to the Cooler Master website's product description page MPC did a review of the V8 CPU cooler in October. I can't find the review anywhere on the site. Am I doing something wrong, or is the magazine only content?

Post subject: Cooler Master V8 Review
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:04 am 

Actually the Cooler Master V8 review was recently in the December 2008 Maximum PC issue on page 93. The Maximum PC verdict was a "9". The test subjects it was put against were the Thermaltake DuOrb and a stock cooler.

The V8 has a variable speed fan that spins from 800 rpms to 1,800 rpms. In idle the V8 cools at 33.3 degrees C and at full burn is 56.3 degrees C. The Thermaltake DuOrbOne in idle is 33.5 degrees C and at full burn is 52.3 degrees C. The stock cooler in idle is 38.5 degrees C and at full burn is 66.8 degrees C. (Remember proper idle temp is measured after 1 hour of inactivity, and full burn is measured directly after 1 hour of CPU burn-in. Your average user's temperature reports are usually all over the place, because they don't follow these testing setups.)

One of the size advantages of the V8 is...it is taller than it is wide, making it an easier fit in most mobos than the wider Thermaltake DuOrb. I see many complaints on Newegg about the DuOrb not fitting well.

The Cooler Master web site has installation videos that should be watched, as you need the mobo out of the case in order to install a supporting back plate.

As one of the best (air) cooling solutions for the Intel Core i7 procs, I would suggest the CM V8 to many other air coolers out there, in fact, I just ordered an Intel Core i7 940 and will be getting a V8 for it over the wider Thermaltake.

I would also "highly" suggest getting a subscription to Maximum PC, so you can stay on top of the latest reviews. They only post a portion of the mag reviews on the web site. The real meat is in the mag!