Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: question about your i7 review
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:26 am 
Million Club 5+ [PC]*
Million Club 5+ [PC]*

i left a comment about this in the relevant article. but I thought i might get a better answer here.

in your i7 review (currently on the main page) you said that the overspeed protection feature was nothing more than locked multipliers like we have been used to.

however, in the Toms hardware write up they say something completely different.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Int ... 057-7.html

they say that overspeed protection is the chip monitoring its TDP and if it reaches a certain level it bumps itself back down to stock speeds, effectively limiting overclocking.

now is toms full of BS? (wouldn't be the first time)

or is the error on your end?

EDIT: just realized this probably belongs in the "mag and book feedback" thread. if a mod would be so kind....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:31 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Most importantly, can this 'feature' be disabled in the BIOS. If not, overclocking is going to be difficult.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:50 am 
Million Club 5+ [PC]*
Million Club 5+ [PC]*

well it looks as if toms might just be full of BS

anandtech got the 920 (the cheap model) to 3.6-3.8 and had this to say

Anandtech wrote:
We have not had any problems clocking our 920 to the 3.6GHz~3.8GHz level with proper cooling. The 920, 940, and 965 will all clock down as core temps increase above the 80C level. We noticed half step decreases above 80C or so and watched our core multipliers throttle down to as low as 5.5 when core temps exceeded 90C and then increase back to normal as temperatures were lowered.

This occurred with stock voltages or with the VCore set to 1.5V, it was dependent on thermals, not voltages or clock speeds in our tests. That said, I am still running a battery of tests on the 920 right now, but I have not seen an artificial cap yet. That does not mean it might not exist, just that we have not triggered it yet.

I will try the 920 on the Intel board that Toms used this morning to see if it operates any differently than the ASUS and MSI boards.

so Toms may have been playing chicken little with this. should be interesting to see how this plays out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:08 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Tom's often plays 'Chicken Little' (great phrase, btw) with news like this. I'm glad that Anand is straightening that out .. they make it sound as though overclocking will only be helped (after all, if it can throttle up and down, we have less worries about stability and damage).

Time (and extensive testing at the expense of others) will tell!