Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: MaximumCD content listing anywhere on web site?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:35 pm 

I often times end up looking for some application/utility to do some task or another and one of the first places I go is my four year supply of MaximumCDs. I trust these more than any joe blow web site with cookies and web bugs, and the need to virus scan.

My problem is that I have to put in each disc, check out what is on it, and not finding what I want, moving to the next one, then the next one. It can be time consuming just to find what I'm looking for.

Is there anywhere on maximumpc.com with a listing of what app/util/game is on each months maxCD and a brief description of what each one does?

If not, should there be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:50 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Open a command window, cd to the cd drive and enter Dir *.* > {name of your choice}.txt. This will give you a text file of the cd's contents. Then instead of putting each cd in and looking for the file you want you just look through the text files. You could go one step further and edit the text file to give a description of each file as some file names tell you nothing about what the program does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:22 pm 

I was hoping someone else had already done the work, but I guess I can take a few minutes to do that every month. Don't you love how ancient DOS commands can still be valuable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:26 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

We're changing disc designs again starting with the January disc. Instead of a database to hold all the info, we dump everything in an Excel spreadsheet. We can start putting that spreadsheet on the disc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:52 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Excellent. Any plans to do back issues or will the spreadsheet only be available for the issues from January on? The utilities are really only usefull for about a year but the games and demos would be nice to keep track of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:41 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

You know, there is a neat web utility that will help you find all the shareware, freeware and demos on the MPC discs.

www.google.com

;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:22 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

TheSimulatorGuy wrote:
Excellent. Any plans to do back issues or will the spreadsheet only be available for the issues from January on? The utilities are really only usefull for about a year but the games and demos would be nice to keep track of.

No chance of doing back issues. We'll do from the changeover on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:57 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Jipstyle wrote:
You know, there is a neat web utility that will help you find all the shareware, freeware and demos on the MPC discs.

www.google.com

;)

Always with the negative waves man. Getting it off a disc you already have setting in a drawer is much more convenient than downloading it, as long s you know you have it. Especially if it is a two or three hundred meg game demo. Google is great, It's more than great, it's the single most useful invention of the modern computer age, I use it a lot. But sometimes we tend to make things more difficult than they need to be. Like I said, the utilities only have a useful life of less than a year, mostly. Portable apps comes to mind. Either an upgraded version or a new utility that does the job better. Games and demos can last longer than that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:54 pm 

Could you also put a copy of the spreadsheets somewhere in the bowels of the web site so guys like me could search through them in one step?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:06 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

TheSimulatorGuy wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:

www.google.com

;)

Always with the negative waves man.

I don't see how answering someone's question is negative. Google has the information that he requires and with a decent 'net connection, downloading might be faster than hunting for a disc in your drawer.

Add to this the fact that most of the magazine-included discs that I've used are scratched almost to the point of illegibility even before I get the mag and you can see why I toss the disc with the plastic as I am opening my magazine.

Heck, the ;) should have indicated that my response was meant to be helpful.

Quote:
Like I said, the utilities only have a useful life of less than a year, mostly. Portable apps comes to mind. Either an upgraded version or a new utility that does the job better. Games and demos can last longer than that.

All the more reason to get the latest version online rather than a version that is (at least) several months old from the disc.